BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitsukai Shimakaze
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Issue with "System" process since XIV ARR 2.4 Patch

I'm not entirely sure if these are related, however it did only start this morning after patching the game I figured it may be worth mentioning.

Basically, I'm suddenly having an issue where a tab simply labeled "System" is spiking up in terms of CPU usage. Prior to today, I wouldn't have even known it existed (meaning I saw it that little on my Task Manager), now it keeps spiking up. Usually when it spikes it goes up to around 20% usage, though I've seen it go as high as around 40%. Whenever it spikes, my entire computer stutters, sometimes even completely freezes, and any audio (be it from a game or a VoIP) stutters too and kind gets that 'dragged out' (if that makes any sense).

I did a basic Google search to see what I could find, and the only results I found was to do an "sfc /scannow" check in the command prompt (which returned zero problems).

I'm not sure what else to do and it's beginning to worry me a lot. Currently on Win8.1, x64.

If there are any other system specs you need, let me know and I'll try to find out. Thanks guys.

Edit: Few other clarifications I wanted to add in; it doesn't happen at a set interval, it seems to be mostly random, though when I would change the active process (like tabbing out of XIV, or tabbing off of Chrome to a different window) it seemed to spike. I also tried restarting my computer, and while that helped for a bit, once it started up again, it kept happening. Additionally, once it begins the problem persists even if XIV is closed.

#Despair
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitsukai Shimakaze
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Code:
    OS Name	Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro	
    Version	6.3.9600 Build 9600	
    Other OS Description 	Not Available	
    OS Manufacturer	Microsoft Corporation	
    System Name	MITSUKAI	
    System Manufacturer	System manufacturer	
    System Model	System Product Name	
    System Type	x64-based PC	
    System SKU	SKU	
    Processor	Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)	
    BIOS Version/Date	American Megatrends Inc. 0908, 11/16/2012	
    SMBIOS Version	2.7	
    Embedded Controller Version	255.255	
    BIOS Mode	Legacy	
    BaseBoard Manufacturer	ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.	
    BaseBoard Model	Not Available	
    BaseBoard Name	Base Board	
    Platform Role	Desktop	
    Secure Boot State	Unsupported	
    PCR7 Configuration	Binding Not Possible	
    Windows Directory	C:\WINDOWS	
    System Directory	C:\WINDOWS\system32	
    Boot Device	\Device\HarddiskVolume1	
    Locale	Japan	
    Hardware Abstraction Layer	Version = "6.3.9600.17196"	
    User Name	Mitsukai\Kevin	
    Time Zone	Eastern Daylight Time	
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM)	16.0 GB	
    Total Physical Memory	16.0 GB	
    Available Physical Memory	12.1 GB	
    Total Virtual Memory	18.3 GB	
    Available Virtual Memory	12.5 GB	
    Page File Space	2.38 GB	
    Page File	C:\pagefile.sys	
    Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions	Yes	
    Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions	Yes	
    Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware	No	
    Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection	Yes

#Despair
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitsukai Shimakaze
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Checked the Event Viewer and I got these (image below) Warnings roughly around the same time spikes and stutters started to happen (requiring a system restart to temporarily stop the stutters), so it looks like it may be a driver issue? The only thing I'm unsure of is where to go from here.

#Despair
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitsukai Shimakaze
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Additionally,

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {7022A3B3-D004-4F52-AF11-E9E987FEE25F}
    and APPID
    {ADA41B3C-C6FD-4A08-8CC1-D6EFDE67BE7D}
    to the user Mitsukai\Kevin SID (S-1-5-21-1319776404-653398798-2420062112-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Looks like it was a chain or errors, with the two DsitributedCOM errors leading into the Kernal-PnP, and then eventually the Application Error.

#Despair
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitsukai Shimakaze
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Code:
    Faulting application name: CCC.exe, version: 4.5.0.0, time stamp: 0x53ad0dcc
    Faulting module name: amdmantle64.dll, version: 9.1.10.34, time stamp: 0x5417637b
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000000000040cfa6
    Faulting process id: 0x105c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cff31178ea1a33
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CCC.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\amdmantle64.dll
    Report Id: b782cebb-5f04-11e4-be8f-08606ef06bd1
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID:
    Possibly an AMD driver issue? Though this error doesn't get logged until the other two have happened.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

If (some part of) the AMD driver craps out, that could easily cause the freezes/stuttering, and in consequence CCC crashes. Do the CCC crashes always include amdmantle64.dll?

What version of the AMD drivers do you have installed? Updated it recently? See if there's a newer version, or if you have the latest one, try to go back one version.
    It might be a bit tricky to get a clean uninstall of the driver since Win8 automatically installs it... But it's still worth a try to (un)install it.

Aside from that, audio stuttering is often caused by DPC latencies, and those occur when a system driver misbehaves. If it's not the AMD driver, you can see if you have latency spikes during the stuttering with DPCLC. Though it only shows that you have latency spikes, not what causes them. But it at least can show you that one of your drivers is going nuts.

#Despair
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitsukai Shimakaze
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    If (some part of) the AMD driver craps out, that could easily cause the freezes/stuttering, and in consequence CCC crashes. Do the CCC crashes always include amdmantle64.dll?

What version of the AMD drivers do you have installed? Updated it recently? See if there's a newer version, or if you have the latest one, try to go back one version.
    It might be a bit tricky to get a clean uninstall of the driver since Win8 automatically installs it... But it's still worth a try to (un)install it.
    They do, though I'm generally worried about the order of the errors. The first error to occur is the one about the DCOM permissions, then the warning about the driver failing to load, and then finally the error about 15 seconds later involving CCC. Currently I'm using the latest drivers which I believe is version 14.9, prior to that I was really outdated, but I did manage to track down the installer for 14.4. I looked around some more and it seems a lot of people who have my video card (HD 6800 Series) have problems with 14.9 because of amdmantle64.dll since (from what I've read) this series of cards doesn't really support mantle. I'll try downgrading to the 14.4 version and report back with what happens if it continues.

#Despair
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitsukai Shimakaze
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Wanted to try something slightly different before attempting to rollback drivers. Took amdmantle64.dll and renamed it to amdmantle64.old, and so far I haven't run into any issues in the past 12~ hours. I don't think I'm necessarily out of the woods yet, but things are looking good so far. I'll post again if something changes.

#Despair
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitsukai Shimakaze
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Well, despite the 24 hour reprieve, the stutter/freeze happened again. CCC wasn't listed this time among the errors in the event viewer, so I don't think it's the cause of the problem, rather that it would get taken out in the chain of events. The first two errors remain though, and happen in this order, time stamps being the most recent one,

2:52:49pm (there are two copies of this error in the event viewer, both happening at the same time):
    Code:
    The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 
    {7022A3B3-D004-4F52-AF11-E9E987FEE25F}
     and APPID 
    {ADA41B3C-C6FD-4A08-8CC1-D6EFDE67BE7D}
     to the user Mitsukai\Kevin SID (S-1-5-21-1319776404-653398798-2420062112-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.
    2:52:50pm:
    Code:
    The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device SWD\WPDBUSENUM\{d25a3288-d542-11e3-be72-08606ef06bd1}#0000000000007E00.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Well then, time to find out what that DCOM service is that you're not allowed to start. (as usual, all menu names are guessed since my windows isn't english xD)
    control panel -> management -> component services.
    Expand component services -> computer -> my computer -> DCOM configuration. If needed, change display to detailed view.
    Now look for the DCOM service that has the app ID that starts with ADA41. Sadly you can't sort the list by App-ID...

#Despair
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitsukai Shimakaze
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Yea, I looked into that some more and figured out how to allow it permissions. Gave it said permissions, the error still persists, though now the only error (or Warning as it's labeled) to appear in the Event Viewer is the driver one.
    Code:
    The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device SWD\WPDBUSENUM\{d25a3288-d542-11e3-be72-08606ef06bd1}#0000000000007E00.
    Tried rolling back my drivers from 14.9 to 14.4, and it still happens after that as well, so at this point I'm entirely out of ideas. Googling that above error leads to nothing. I may just try Refreshing my computer at this point, cause I'm out of ideas.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Well, the WudfRd warning seems to be not that uncommon with 8.1, see http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...47d96ff?page=1
    And I see what you mean with 14.9 and the 6000 series, found the thread in the AMD forums you posted in ^^; And if I read that right AMD just dropped support for non-GCN GPUs from 14.9 onwards instead on investigating the problems with mantle...

#Despair
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitsukai Shimakaze
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Right, but since the problem persists even with me rolled back on 14.4, the only thing left I can think of is two programs that don't like each other or an install that went awry somewhere.

#Despair
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitsukai Shimakaze
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Lol, can't even catch a break with Refreshing. I'm told I'm missing files, so I insert my Win8 installation disc, and then get told it's invalid. I can only assume this is because I upgraded (or was forced to, rather) my OS to 8.1, and my discs are 8.0. Thanks Microsoft.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

"nice", and getting a clean 8.1 setup image is quite a hassle too... Guess I can only wish you luck with it then... ^^;