+ Reply to Thread
    Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

CTRL ALT DEL not working at logon

Windows 7 computer on the domain, ctrl alt del works during the bootup sequence where you can select safe/normal windows after shutting the computer down via the power button, but once at the ctrl alt del to logon it does nothing. Ease of Access appears to be disabled via active directory permissions as I can't even do windows key U to bring up an on screen keyboard. Any ideas on what happened before I format this computer?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

So a quick update, I can RDP into the computer currently as I don't have to do a ctrl alt del to log on. I performed a malwarebytes scan on the computer with the latest definitions, and nothing came up. I tried disabling the need to do a ctrl alt del before logging in, which lets me skip that step, but the keyboard will not type anything at the logon screen. Keyboard works fine though as I have to enter a bios password into the computer before I even get to that point as well. So something is disabling the keybard at the logon sequence.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Does safe mode not work, or does it still have the CAD problem as well? Can you use the "Last Known Good Config" option?

Can you unplug/replug the keyboard after the login screen comes up? Mouse working as well? Have a secondary or non-usb keyboard (assuming you're using usb and it has ps/2 ports)?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Mouse works fine. Keyboard was already ps2, tried two of those and a usb, nada. doing a sfc /scannow run to see if that finds anything. I tried blowing out the ps2 driver, no dice. got a couple other things to try, but getting close to hitting the big red button at this point.

As for last known good config, that's not even coming up as an option when hitting f8. I have a feeling windows restore has been disabled on these computers.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

So it turned out to be something completely retarded. Some of our users have two keyboards as they have people from the general public that come in and they have to fill out forms electronically. She had a heavy clipboard resting on the second keyboard, pushing down on a key and that was blocking the ctrl alt del.