1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 22 hours, 2 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 1 hours, 57 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 15 hours, 2 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 18 hours, 57 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Looking for some tips Gamepad/Keyboard/Mouse 2 questions inside

Hello, I need some tips to improve my performance, Yesterday I did some Shiva EX on NIN and I wasn't able to put out more then 353 DPS which was humiliating, (I don't strive to be the best but 353 DPS as I110 NIN is way to low)

I was making alot of mistakes that I can fix by practice no problem, but think that other part of my problems was from how I set my stuff.

This is the first 'real' DPS job i'm playing and as a SCH I don't have much problem but anyway

Part 1 ) I currently use a DualShock 3 Gamepad on my PC to play XIV, and I currently uses 2 hotbars

The first hotbar has most of my skills and the 2nd hotbar I use, when I press L2 + R2 or R2 +L2 on my DS3 It seems to work, well but Since I don't see my skills when i'm not on the current hotbar, I seem to forget them alot (like my ninjutsu I use them like 2-3 sec after timer is rdy) (And i often make mistakes like going to the R2 + L2 hotbar instead of L2+ R2 and vise vera)

So question #1 For gamepad user that are able to put out big DPS numbers Do you guys use the L2 + R2 and R2 + L2 bar or do you use mostly like R1 + Square to change hobars. And any tips of hotbar placement for DS3 DPS user is appreciated

Point #2 I also have a normal Keyboard + Razer Naga (12 buttons on the side)

Would anyone have any tip to migrate from Gamepad to K&M if I go that way, and some tips to program my naga efficiently?

Thank and sorry if once again my questions are confusing beause lolrata

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Check out the Logitech G13 gameboard. I've used one for the last five years for everything from mmos to action games on my PC. Nothing beats a fully programmable keyboard that fits your hand and can be modified on the fly. This will add a lot more synergy to your setup than just using a naga and make the transition more "pad-like" for you in the sense of convenience of button placement. Keyboards are flat and not very good at gaming and the G13 is the solution to that problem.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

I use a Razer Naga for the game. Havne't had any issues but I have my stuff set across 3 bars using Shift and Ctrl to access the other 2 bars.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Akirra Krylon
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

I use a Razer Nostromo + Razer Naga, and a regular keyboard for chat. I usually go keyboard + the naga when I am just in town goofing off, but when in a dungeon/trial/raid I use the Nostromo + Naga. The more up-to-date version of the Nostromo is the Orbweaver but it is pretty $$$.

That being said - I think a gamepad like that (or the logitech G13 like mentioned above) is the best set up you can have. I was just standard keyboard+mouse from my XI days and I decided to try a gamepad + kb/m combo and it has been amazing. It took about 1 or 2 days of just doing casual dungeons to get used to it but once you do your play will go up guaranteed. You have access to every skill and keybind in one hand + the liberty of using your mouse in the other to move camera angles/mouse over stuff/click other things if need be. Can't go wrong with this type of solution in my opinion.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pabsteh Hirayama
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Jorildyn View Post
    Check out the Logitech G13 gameboard. I've used one for the last five years for everything from mmos to action games on my PC. Nothing beats a fully programmable keyboard that fits your hand and can be modified on the fly. This will add a lot more synergy to your setup than just using a naga and make the transition more "pad-like" for you in the sense of convenience of button placement. Keyboards are flat and not very good at gaming and the G13 is the solution to that problem.
    Seriously this. For mmos only thing I have key bound on my mouse is jump and tab targets(besides the normal right/left click actions and camera zoom). Everything else is so conveniently close by on the G13. They are also sold pretty cheap on amazon at times. Lowest I saw was about $28.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

If you have a friend who recently bought a logitech product they sometimes send a code for like 20-25% off next purchase too but it expires pretty fast!

Rata you can ask me in game if you have any questions about the G13.

BG Level

will do when i get home thx for the tips

BG Level

Out of curiosity, how do you guys program those boards?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Using logitech's gamepanel software. It is similar to razer synapse but is better is some ways. It is used by any peripheral with g-keys including the g600 mouse (logitech's naga-quivalent).

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

I just recently switched from game pad to keyboard and naga. I use 3 hot bars but rebound them to mirror the way the buttons on the naga are.

1 2 3 a1 a2 a3 s1 s2 s3
    4 5 6 a4 a5 a6 s4 s5 s6
    7 8 9 a7 a8 a9 s7 s8 s9

So it was easier to make the switch visually

BG Level

So the G13 is like a mouse? I keep my keybaord and use the G13 as a mouse and controller?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cage Rancor
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Rata, I play on PC with dual shock 3. I play warrior and drg with it just fine. I haven't played ninja yet so I don't know how many buttons you need to work with there, but I'm sure there's a more ideal setup you could use. I don't use the L2+R2 function I just use a second cross hot at that I toggle to with 1 press of R1 it's very fast. I also sort of awkwardly combine game pad and keyboard by having a normal hotbar with skills assigned to the numpad. This serves 2 purposes, it allows me to see skills on cool down that would otherwise be hidden by limited space on cross hotbar, and I can just quickly hit the numpad keys with 1 hand since my laptop is right in front of me. I guess this sounds really awkward and unnecessary but if you were looking to save money and still play efficiently with your controller...contact me in game I'll try to show you my setup and give you controller tips.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Warren Castille
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

The muscle memory you eventually build with a controller takes care of some of the hang-ups, for me anyway. I've got active buttons on my default bar with not-often-used-cooldowns and stances toggled to another one; Swapping bars between cooldowns and combos is second nature for me now. This works easily enough for paladin but I never spent enough time on MNK to be more than mediocre with it that way (I play like a scrub and just 1-2-3 4-5-6 repeat, but I don't take it into groups!). I'm fairly certain with enough exposure you just find out how to quickly toggle shit.

Real life mudras. You know you want them.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kirby Prime
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

G13, Nostromo, etc, if you don't want to google are pretty much keyboard's numpad for your left hand with a thumb-stick for movement if you so desire. You will not be replacing your mouse with it but will replace any WASD stuff with it. The Nos for example has 14 buttons ( so think WASD with all the surrounding buttons ) a mouse scroll wheel, a profile swapping button, a thumbstick ( which tbh is also really just WASD by default ) and an added thumb "trigger" button of sorts.

All of these are programmable to do different things. For example, for me, I have the thumb trigger button as a jump button, Use the buttons left and right of the WASD as ctrl / alt, and use the rest for keys like VoIP triggers, map, chocobo, etc. I don't find the Nos all too essential for this game but it is useful. You can probably toy with it some if you do end up going that route.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    So the G13 is like a mouse? I keep my keybaord and use the G13 as a mouse and controller?
    I used the controller for ff14, BUT my g13 for everything else (only reason I stick to controller is sometimes I play on the ps4, and don't wanna get my brain confused...I wish the ps4 would read the g13 lol).

ANYWAY, with that said, you use the g13 in your left hand and your mouse in your right. When I do this setup, my keyboard is strictly for chatting.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Jorildyn View Post
    Using logitech's gamepanel software. It is similar to razer synapse but is better is some ways. It is used by any peripheral with g-keys including the g600 mouse (logitech's naga-quivalent).
    Err I meant button configs. Those look interesting, but at the same time I'm so used to having my hand on my keyboard for WASD/Jump I dunno how reliable this would be for me.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Akirra Krylon
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    I used the controller for ff14, BUT my g13 for everything else (only reason I stick to controller is sometimes I play on the ps4, and don't wanna get my brain confused...I wish the ps4 would read the g13 lol).

ANYWAY, with that said, you use the g13 in your left hand and your mouse in your right. When I do this setup, my keyboard is strictly for chatting.
    This. G13/Nostomo/whatever is in the left hand. Mouse in right. Keyboard in between for chatting, keybinds for menu/FC/Duty Finder/Return/Teleport/Chocobo/etc..

http://image.tianjimedia.com/uploadI...C_2305_500.JPG

That is the nostromo. I have the thumb joystick programmed to basically be the WASD for movement. It is effectively the joystick on the controller.

The rest of the buttons are hotkeys for combat. You'll notice it has 3 rows - the bottom has 4 keys and the top 2 have 5 keys each. the extra keys on the top two rows I use for map/sheathe weapon. The rest are set up like this on my HUD...

x x x x x x x x
    x x x x MINIMAP HERE x x x x
    x x x x x x x x

EDIT: well fuck formatting, amirite?

I found a screenshot of my HUD that I posted on reddit a few days ago...

http://i.imgur.com/mgwG3M1.jpg

the extra larger abilities above the main set up is just for visual "oh shit B4B is almost ready" type reminder.

To the left of the map are just regular button pushes on the Nostromo. To the right of the minimap is ctrl+ button pushes on the Nostromo.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    Err I meant button configs. Those look interesting, but at the same time I'm so used to having my hand on my keyboard for WASD/Jump.
    I am also curious how people do their button configs.

Here is mine for WoW:

Problem is, I have to set my macros on the screen the same way for the 1 to = keys otherwise my brain fucks up. So games like 14 where I can't change the layout it piss me the fuck off. YoshiP give me addons.

And they're spectacular!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

NVM...

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character