Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    I think FFXI should be Free-2-Play
    BG Level

This thread...this is quite a lot of butthurt over 1 ring......

Quote Originally Posted by Sechs View Post
    It gives the ILLUSION of choice.
    Appearently it has to be a very good illusion since many people (/point Protey) do not even notice or aren't aware of it.
    For group1 and 2, 95% of the choices are not real, which I agree. But you still have room to make choices. IMO merit point system deserves more credit.

For example I went with 5/5 Vallation effect/Pflug on my RUN, I've seen 5/5 Rune Enchantment instead. I choose very different merit WS from my friends/lsmate playing the same job as well. If there are no real choices, my merit allocation would be the same as everyone else, but that's not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by fantasticdan View Post
    Like the strategic choice to not play a job because you don't have merits for it? lol
    I have 4 merit point WSs, some of them aren't 5/5. I can play all of my jobs just fine. I don't know why would anyone choose not to play a job without merits.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Merit ws aren't really a good example since the ws update has made a lot either not best to begin with anymore or at the very least brought others really close to a 5/5

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Camate just replied to the OF thread.

We definitely understand that it’s difficult to choose one ring because each one of them have attractive stats on them, but the development team created the stats with the idea in mind that you can only possess one. There have also been some requests to add a system for exchanging rings, but at the moment we do not have any plans to add a system to exchange rings similar to the other reward rings from the past.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Another Camate quote, for anyone thinking about stacking back and ring for knock back.

Quote Originally Posted by Camate
    Quote Originally Posted by Protey
    Do the effects stack (with Repulse Mantle)?
    No, the effects do not stack.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Malithar View Post
    Another Camate quote, for anyone thinking about stacking back and ring for knock back.
    so the ring basicly just became totally useless lol

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Damane View Post
    I wouldn't say useless but probably 2nd least useful ring though honestly thinking the movement speed one might be better. It's okish if you don't want to spend a bunch of time cleaving for dark rings and want to use a better defensive back than repulse. And the cure pot received is... well better than nothing anyways. It's very marginal but it is better than not having it if no perfect dark ring

Banned.

BG Level

Does the dual wield ring work for jobs without the dual wield trait? Would be kinda cool to use on GEO/RDM with Idris for dual clubs

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by vivbiibasjiu View Post
    Does the dual wield ring work for jobs without the dual wield trait? Would be kinda cool to use on GEO/RDM with Idris for dual clubs
    Doubt it, Suppanomimi doesn't work this way.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Has any GEO received the Renaye Ring and done any testing to see if the Geomancy Skill +10 from the ring breaks any new tiers on any of the spells?

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Yeager View Post
    Has any GEO received the Renaye Ring and done any testing to see if the Geomancy Skill +10 from the ring breaks any new tiers on any of the spells?
    got it, didnt test anything, prolly wont test anything due to not playing much

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    It's okish if you don't want to spend a bunch of time cleaving for dark rings and want to use a better defensive back than repulse. And the cure pot received is... well better than nothing anyways. It's very marginal but it is better than not having it if no perfect dark ring
    1) You don't really need "perfect" Dark Rings. PDT-5% is really not THAT hard to go farm, plus it will likely get some other helpful defensive stats (MDT-/BDT-) that aren't on Vocane.

2) Remember Patricius Ring as another good option (PDT-5%). Honestly, I prefer a D.Ring/Patricius combo most of the time when I need a PDT- set since the Acc+7 is a pretty helpful stat most of the time when you're fighting something hard enough that it's even warranted to use DT- stuff (but yeah, if you're just using it for idle set or something Dark Ring with additional MDT/BDT would be better).

I already wrote Vocane Ring off when I realized it wasn't PDT- II, which I would have cared about on jobs where I find my DT- set truly important (like my RUN). But last night when I realized that I even have a capped PDT- set on my WHM/BLM/RDM mule/alt (no D.Ring)... yeah, Vocane is silly. They could have at least made it DT- instead of PDT- only, not that it would have changed my overall opinion of it.

FWIW, my mage PDT-50% set :
    20%: 5/5 Skirmish armor with PDT-4%
    25%: Twilight Torque
    35%: 2x PDT-5% Dark Rings
    45%: Genbu's Shield
    51%: Umbra Cape

Obviously plenty of other options too for a variety of jobs: Earth/Terra staff, Mollusca/Iximulew/Repulse Mantle, augmented Black/Darkness Earrings, Colossus's Earring, JSE stuff, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Scythiroth View Post
    Doubt it, Suppanomimi doesn't work this way.
    Correct, Haverton Ring won't give DW to a job/subjob combination that doesn't have it (e.g. GEO/RDM). But just to be perfectly clear, it does enhance DW from a subjob (e.g. WHM/NIN).

Banned.
    Account locked at request of user.

BG Level

vocane is DT

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yeah should've read the ring first before writing all that out lol

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Priran View Post
    vocane is DT
    Durr, sorry. Anyway, point remains the same for all of my above post despite my stupid error

Nobody should really need the DT- so badly to make the ring worthwhile. PDT's the big one and it's likely you can cap without a modest increase from one ring slot. MDT is easy to cap and BDT is so situational as to not really be a serious consideration.

And you still don't need a "perfect" Dark Ring, even something like PDT-4%~5% will do just fine for the vast majority of needs.

DT- II would have been a different story.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Still doesn't matter because MDT- is really easy to cap unless you're constantly without shell. I'd say the ring doesn't add enough on it's own to merit not picking literally any of the other 11 rings. I think picking Sattva Ring over Rajas and your only job being PLD back in the day would have been met with less scrutiny than Vocane.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

But it doesn't really counter my point anymore. Like I said it's okish and marginally useful if you don't have perfect dark rings. Obviously you would never chose it over something else. I even started out by saying it was easily the 2nd worst maybe worst pick. My whole point was if someone was handing them out and it didn't cost you anything you'd wear it

As far as the accuracy part goes I would straight up switch out repulse mantle for jse. Keep the knockback minimizer, have more pdt than Patricius Ring+ repulse combo and more acc

Banned.
    Account locked at request of user.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    But it doesn't really counter my point anymore. Like I said it's okish and marginally useful if you don't have perfect dark rings. Obviously you would never chose it over something else. I even started out by saying it was easily the 2nd worst maybe worst pick. My whole point was if someone was handing them out and it didn't cost you anything you'd wear it

As far as the accuracy part goes I would straight up switch out repulse mantle for jse. Keep the knockback minimizer, have more pdt than Patricius Ring+ repulse combo and more acc
    I don't ever play PLD but that doesn't sound better to me than a fast cast ring with a 3% chance of no recast on things like flash and reprisal

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Priran View Post
    I don't ever play PLD but that doesn't sound better to me than a fast cast ring with a 3% chance of no recast on things like flash and reprisal
    Yeah I know I just said that. Heck the ws one would probably be better even if only for atonement lol

Quote Originally Posted by Damane View Post
    Frees up back slot for Evasionist cape while maintaining virtually no knockback.
    Increases healing which helps with RUN's lack of defense.
    Helps cap PDT without the need of feet for Futhark's +parry.
    Yup.
    Totally useless.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeager View Post
    Unlikely.
    Highest skill at the moment is 838, next tier should be at 900ish.
    So it won't make a new tier, but for % based buffs and enfeebles, it should increase their potency by... ~1%.
    Go go refresh ring until the empyrean set happens and 900 is GEO's 600!
    (And that's assuming SE doesn't bork it up and put +skill in the body and hand slots again....)

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Depends who you're asking

- I haven't experienced a knockback, baring 5 minute periods when the plugin was broken, in quite a long time
    - Healers are usually overcuring, nullifying any benefit from the ring
    - You'd need to demonstrate the practical gain of that to use it as a benefit

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast