• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Looking to stream videos on my HDD to my TV

Any device out there that can do that? I was hoping Chromecast would but it seems to only be youtube/netflix/etc from my PC to my TV, but I actually need to do actual video's i've downloaded.

jponry
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

iirc someone was developing a SMB streaming app for Chromecast. Not sure how well it works but here's a link. I personally prefer using my XBMC Pi for local streaming.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

you can open videos in chrome and stream them to chromecast that way too

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Hmm, I may have to do a test and see how chrome handles it. Thanks for the tips.

Plex is amazing for this. If you plan on DLing a lot of content then Plex is worth the money. It works with Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, a lot of smart TVs, etc.

Yep, seconding Plex... It's a must have for anyone with a considerable amount of media IMO, and definitely the best thing I didn't know I needed until a couple of months ago.

I'm pretty much never going back to discs/DVDs/Blu-Rays, digitizing everything and using this from now on.

If your TV is a smart TV, or if you have a PS3/4, Xbox, Roku, Apple TV, or [smart] Blu Ray player you can install the Plex app (or run the Plex DNS option). Or, if you have a Chromecast you can install Plex on your phone/tablet, and chromecast from your device to the TV. You can setup your home PC/laptop as a media server, or a NAS/HTPC.

So basically, you can find a way to make it work for almost any situation. The software will completely organize and categorize everything in your library, add IMDB ratings/info/descriptions, the genre, actions, etc (assuming that the naming conventions/folder organization isn't too crazy). It's really quite fantastic.

TV example:

Mobile device:

(and as you can see, there's the option to Chromecast)

So I can bring my entire media library with me wherever I go with my phone, and even stream it to TVs at other people's houses... so long as they can install the Plex app, or I can Chromecast, and my media server (aka home PC) is on (which it always is anyway).

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Videostream for chrome does this too with a chromecast. Load up video in a tab and broadcast the tab. That's what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Jorildyn View Post
    Videostream for chrome does this too with a chromecast. Load up video in a tab and broadcast the tab. That's what I do.
    Chrome doesn't support mkv. So fuck Chrome. Get Plex. Never look back.

From my phone:

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Looks like Plex is the way to go. Is there a PS3/PS4 app for Plex before I go buy a chromecast?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Plex has an application for most platforms. It ranges from free to about $5 a device. The server is free.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Seems like plex dont have a PS4 app, and you need to access it from the PS4 web browser

I don't have a PS4, but I believe you can run Plex on your PS4 if you setup your home PC as a media server, and then run via a Plex DNS option (friend has his PS3 setup this way).