+ Reply to Thread

Pell Grant question (College revoked Pell Grant suddenly)

So just got a call from my wife, apparently the college pulled her Pell Grant she was awarded suddenly. When she filled out the paperwork on the FAFSA site it showed she would have a reward, and the Financial Aid dept confirmed this and let her sign up for classes and attend (had she not have had an award, she would have had to enter a payment plan).

Now suddenly they are saying we made too much money to qualify for Pell Grants. My salary last year was around $39k before taxes/deductions and hers was roughly $18k before taxes/deductions. Our area is Columbia, MD so not sure if cost of living factors into FAFSA but it costs a fucking lot to live here lol.

Now they want her to take out a loan to pay for the classes since she is past the grace period to drop them. Anyone know what my ground is for arguing this? How can they wait till after you can drop classes for 100% refund to then drop your aid. Isn't it settled before you begin classes?

Edit: Apparently FAFSA site NOW says she is ineligible...didn't know they could change that shit on the fly...

Mr. Anna Kendrick
    BGs Worst Golde Abuser

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Charles Barkley
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I'm no lawyer, but how much stuff in writing do you have of theirs that says shes eligible and will receive the aid?

Quote Originally Posted by Sepukku View Post
    I'm no lawyer, but how much stuff in writing do you have of theirs that says shes eligible and will receive the aid?
    I would have to sift through letters, but most of the shit is online nowadays so yeah. The website confirmed she was paid and good to go, and their policy strictly dictates that if you don't have the funds by the start of classes that you MUST enter a payment plan, which she was never enrolled into due to her funds being correct.

Apparently she updated her FAFSA in July of this year and our gross income was 38k, which is far too much apparently for the government to believe you need aid (not like we weren't spending that $$ on rent and food! How dare we). Trying to find proof of that as it shouldn't take from July to fucking November to tell us "Oh btw, you're on the hook for a few grand"

Edit:

So she did find a dated screenshot of the college website showing a pell reward, and one of the FAFSA site showing she updated late July. Honestly I doubt any of this shit will matter as the Fin Aid department is horrible and will just shrug and go "I dunno, give us monies"

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

P. Sure the school is the middle man, if FAFSA revoked your grant you'll have to go through them. As for the school, with your evidence, you should be able to get on a plan since you had the grant up until after the drop date; it's not really your fault.

Honestly trying to just get them to refund/waive the cost of one of her classes. She took a random class just to make herself a full time student to qualify and receive the grants, had she known she wasn't going to get grants, there would have been no reason to take that 1 extra class. Went to college today and Fin Aid person was basically like "Well nothing we can do! lololol" and wouldn't let me speak to an advisor in the backroom. Went over to Records and found out they have an appeals process for dropping a course and not paying for it, so going to go that route.

If it doesn't work i'm going to head up and speak to the president of the college herself, I used to work there and knew her and some of the VPs and helped them out on a few things here and there, so worth the shot. I have no problem paying for the other 3 classes, but fuck them if they think i'm paying on a random class that wasn't even needed.