+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flickering screen     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Anti-crusade crusader
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Flickering screen

When I setup my computer to extend the desktop to both of my monitors, one monitor flickers on the bottom of the screen. This only happens when my computer is running both screens at the same time. If I set my only screen to play on the one that is flickering, it will stop.

I've googled my question and it doesn't seem to pop up. Anyone have any suggestions that I can try?

AMD 7970
    Windows 8.1

Edit: Downclocked my GPU to minimum and it fixed it. Weird.
    Edit2: Happens when my GPU is set above 300MHz in clock settings. Or my GPU memory is above the 150 MHz mark. Basically, have to bring it to minimum to fix the flickering effect. Would anyone know how I improve the clock/memory without the flickering?

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Reverse where the monitors plug in to the video card, try again.

If the same monitor flickers, it's the monitor. If the opposite monitor flickers, it's the video card.

Check your drivers, etc.

My money is on the card. New enough, you can RMA it still.

edit: and by check your drivers, if you are running newest, try one or two versions back and see if the issue persists.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Assuming this started when you got the second monitor and isn't a recent issue? Try reinstalling drivers with both monitors plugged in or setting up 2D/3D profiles in MSI Afterburner with 2D at 500MHz Core, memory as whatever your memory is running at when running 3D applications, then whatever the idle core voltage is for your card (and 3D is normal values). If it's the problem I'm thinking of then it's just the result of the single monitor core/memory idle frequencies being too low for multi-monitor setups, sometimes they don't get set properly and/or require installing drivers with 2+ monitors attached.

EDIT:: Just saw your edit, that is weird, I would try different monitors/cables as suggested above.

Anti-crusade crusader
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It's a recent issue. Started after the forced 8.1 update from 8.0. I tried updating the drivers but they were already up to date. I'll try to swap where the cords plug in.

Anti-crusade crusader
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I swapped my cords around and it fixed the issue. I had an HDMI to HDMI running to a regular monitor, and a DisplayPort to HDMI running to a flat panel TV. Both screens are running fine, even on regular clock settings now. Very strange.

Anti-crusade crusader
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Need to bump this one more time. The flickering is back and is only on when I have both my displays on. If I set the computer resolution to only display on the one screen that is flickering, it goes away. If I extend my display to both monitors, the screen flickers. Should I just RMA my video card?

if it's anything like my old 5870 (i think it was that) i googled it and i found that it was because of the bios, so i flashed the bios of my GPU and the flicker stopped after that. So you might want to try to look for that too maybe it could help!