+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

What traits/skills/knowledge/abilities did you take away from FFXI and applied to other activities?

Was browsing in a WoW thread where someone said claiming WoW's equivalent to NMs were laughably easy since coming from FFXI (most WoW players can't claim for shit).

I was wondering throughout everyone's time on FFXI, what has it trained/prepared for in other games and also in other activities outside of games, i.e. work?

I can vouch for the NM comment above, I knew how to keep myself occupied (and therefore, awake) while camping stuff!

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Social circles form around those that invite others to activities.

It's the same IRL as it is with people starting Delve runs, doing shouts, etc

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Needs vs. Wants

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Lootwhoring

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Learned a lot about being efficient with time, and doing more with less (lowmanning vs large groups). Sadly, one of the biggest lessons I learned from this social game was how much I hate relying on other people.

Mathing out and applying haste showed me the power of exponential returns back in the day, quite different to learn about it in a class and being able to see the massive difference a few % at higher amounts can have when you're swinging faster than your animations can handle. I was more interested about math due to this game than I ever was in a math class.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

A lot of vocabulary. I started this game probably when I was 13, and the amount of colorful adjectives this game uses (and correctly lol) made it so easy to wow English Teachers all through school.
    Not to mention, an incredible amount of patience.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Patience.

S N K
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by SephYuyX View Post
    Patience.
    this.....

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

That girls are not girls on the internet, specially cat-people

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

I can count off thirty seconds in my head exactly.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

FFXI showed me that other games stats, gear, lvl grinding, and reward systems are based around a IQ of 70.

Stats: I have yet to play a game that I had to account for so many different stats, and I have yet played a game that required me to do so much math.

Gear:
    First Ask you self when the last time was that you played a game that low level gear was still widely used in endgame? Take the PPC being the most popular but when you think about it there are a lot of pieces that you still used.

Second FFXI killed BIS(best in slot) rules. With the amazing ability to swap gear during fight we are able to tweek our stats even farther. FFXI gave us BISFA(Best in slot for action)

LvL grind: By having crap exp or none at all for quest we were forced to party. In doing so our team building skills are far better then any game I have played to date. Where they solo 90% to lvl cap and only work on team skills 10% when doing dungeons or raids, we are forced to grow are party skills almost from day 1 making end game content a spot that everyone can enjoy.

Reward systems: With our ultra punishing troll of an RNG loot system we treasure our gear more and truly feel rewarded. Every other game feels like it throws the best gear at you with no real work put in or effort on your part.

FFXI has ruined every other MMO for me as I weigh them all against it.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

adjusting yourself to stuff/situations on the fly with the best solution there is (mostly) in terms of effort/whatever-result-you-want ratio.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Patience was one of the "most levelled up" skill I have when playing this game, yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Damane View Post
    adjusting yourself to stuff/situations on the fly with the best solution there is (mostly) in terms of effort/whatever-result-you-want ratio.
    I really enjoyed this one, especially the odd ball things you can potentially pull off with it (i.e. BRD tanking pre-nerf) or forcing people to do specific roles.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Japanese. Learned far more Japanese dealing with friends and others in FFXI than my entire time before that just scoping animeu on my own. Thank you based majority JP Carbuncle server.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Raelia View Post
    I can count off thirty seconds in my head exactly.
    Leveling a tank circa 2003-2004 was an exercise of seeing how much you could get done around the house between Provoke and Flash timers.

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

i can nap for 29 minutes

Stalking you
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    V' Mod
    FFXIV Server
    Atomos
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

when life brings you down, play brd.

it's like being a pretty girl: you can do whatever you want, as terribly as you want, and suffer no consequences.

refresh

OCD organizational skills and focusing skills i had to have all my items be in right inventory and sorted by important out of fear of forgetting a gear for a job i was on. And i got what plan done that day unless something that needed a group came up that was more important. focusing skills came from being the healer/stun person for years. knowing that the alliance will die if you mess up one. one raid a week and slow mode healing in wow is what made it so boring to me i had more fun getting loremaster (all quests done) and pet battles then the raids.

i now have all my folders organized and have plans for months/years a head of time long with plans if some one dies.

So FFXI taking all surprise out of MMO/Life is that a skill?

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by vm0d View Post
    when life brings you down, play brd.

it's like being a pretty girl: you can do whatever you want, as terribly as you want, and suffer no consequences.
    i hate you, but that's genius

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by refresh View Post
    i now have all my folders organized and have plans for months/years a head of time long with plans if some one dies.
    I guess that's a responsible thing to do, but that's fairly creepy.

Can agree with most of the one's that have been posted like having a really good grasp on specific durations of time, thinking on your feet, organization, etc. One not mentioned that I think I've developed to a degree is dealing with ignorance. Not lol i so leet kind of ignorance or stupidity, but actual ignorance of fight mechanics, strategies, gearing, etc. I've had to train people at work before, but when you have to essentially train someone within the confines of a game with nothing more than text and VOIP at best, it really kinda makes you think of different ways to guide them along in understanding and performing well. That's assuming they want to, at least. Most people in games are just looking for the easy coast through though. Guess that's not really so different than at work, depending on your occupation lol.