• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

FPS stutter/skip/jitter/freeze on new monitor.

Recently purchased a new 1440p monitor. However I think it's the cause for my problem. Playing wow I noticed every once in a while my fps would skip/jump, causing the image to appear to jump backwards. Decided to investigate the issue and played around with unigines valley benchmark.

Running Valley at 1440p I noticed (actually took out a stop watch) that the frame skip would happen every 20 seconds. Decided to disable my 1440p monitor and put my old 1080p monitor back on. No skipping there. Put my 1440p one back up but ran valley at 1080p... no skipping.

Now my question is, is this a monitor issue (kinda seems so) or is my video card to blame? I figured a 970 should have no problem. I don't know a whole lot about 1440p monitors, if this is an issue that may occur or not.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2 monitor in question, grabbed it for 270 on cyber monday.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Siya. <3

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

You're not helping!

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

FPS means First person shooting

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    FPS means First person shooting
    Frames Per Second............................................ ..................................................

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

:O Mind blown

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    :O Mind blown
    http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enha...55857687-0.jpg

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

As much as I didn't want to, I dug out my old video card. Stuck it in and low and behold it has the same stutter. Monitor manufacturer was trying to tell me it was my video card.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Maybe refresh rate is too high, or not exactly supported (but was forced by manufacturer)? I know some very high res monitors don't support high refresh rate at their max resolutions (like some 4k monitors/tvs are at 30hz), and need to be overclocked to get higher (risky). Far be it for you to fix their problem though, but at least you can rule out vid card. Though that leaves the cable and the monitor. Some cables sold as dual link are not exactly dual link, but that could get annoying or expensive to verify.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Well I got a replacement coming soon. A little sad as the first one had no dead pixels and very little light bleed. Hope the new one is just as good.

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

siya <3

you're like the magnet for defective units, i remember you had issues w/ your defective video cards at one point also.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Dude you're telling me. I originally wanted a tablet so I ordered one for me and my gf. Both were defective. decided I wanted a monitor instead and this happened.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Running Valley at 1440p I noticed (actually took out a stop watch) that the frame skip would happen every 20 seconds. Decided to disable my 1440p monitor and put my old 1080p monitor back on. No skipping there. Put my 1440p one back up but ran valley at 1080p... no skipping.
    So the 1440p monitor does fine with no skipping at 1080. If the skipping still occurred even with your video settings lowered (but still at the 1440p resolution) then it's probably not your video card. You are using a dual link dvi cable (24 pins as opposed to 18 pins), right? You'd think monitors with resolutions above 1080 would have displayport as a standard by now.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Yeah it was dual link dvi. Hopefully the new monitor doesn't have such an issue. I tested the shit out of that thing and it was indeed the monitor.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Returned the other one. New one came in. Same thing. Now what =/.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Welp now I feel a little dumb. Don't want to get myself too excited but I may have found the issue. The first time I had my monitor I noticed windows had the generic monitor refresh rate set to 59 so I changed that. Upon receiving the new monitor and seeing the same stuttering I went back to the generic monitor refresh rate... it's 59 again. Change it to 60 then reopen it, it's back to 59. Googled around and found http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?high=...mpage=1#963127 and so far it seems to have fixed the issue. I haven't noticed it happen again and hopefully it stays that way. On a plus note though the new monitor has less light bleed and still no dead pixels as far as I can tell. So if this continues to be stutter free I'd call the return a win.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quick question about OCing. I had a stable +65mhz on my 970 but after swapping out for my 680 to test the monitor, it now seems to be unstable. Would reseating the card have an impact on OC stability?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

In most cases no, but I have known of a friend's card working fine for everything except gaming for more than like 30 minutes because the card was not seated "well enough." How it wasn't seated "well enough" I have no idea, yet upon simply reseating, it worked fine thereafter.

Easy enough to try; maybe a contact is dirty. It could just be finicky on the overclock, overheating (could be this), or doesn't have enough voltage (not too likely since it was working before; check power connections). Get a reading on its temps during gaming, or run a windowable benchmark with the temp reader open beside it and watch it until it messes up or looks dangerous (like 90+C is really pushing it).

add: also holy shit at messed up refresh rate problem, I'll have to remember that. How completely randumb of windows .

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Well I know it's not a temp problem, never goes above 55c. I reseated it today and it seems to be ok so far. I just turned my PC on this morning and BSODed just on the desktop. We'll see how things go from here.