+ Reply to Thread

Dog lover's Anonymous (those who have lost a lil homie)

Long sob story, but I just wanted to post this to hear from other folks on here who have had similar experiences and how you've coped with the loss of your pet.

My loyal JR/Scottish Terrier companion of almost 16 years, just passed away after a battle with what I and the vets have deduced, most likely, of renal failure.

This past year she went from having lowered appetite, to lethargic behavior, and this past week, having problems vomiting. The last 2 days she went into a constant state of nausea and restlessness. Her eating and drinking had stopped and only had a few sips of water and homemade turkey soup broth.

What sort of made my situation more difficult than it should've been is that I am living in deep poverty and only had a few hundred dollars between me and my mother, whom I live with. When she could no longer sit up on her own, we got her to an emergency vet and he told us we had to pay around $1k to test and do IV's. She had a high-grade fever at the time, so all I could do is take her back home and attempt to break it and see if she improved over the night. We ended up finding a free clinic coupon for a vet inside Petsmart this morning. They were willing to split the blood work cost if we wanted to test her, but I knew that would be fruitless at this point.

The rough part there is that was not when we said goodbye to our dog, the clinic wanted $177 just to euthanize. We had no choice but to carry her limp body back out and drive home. From there, I went searching for a place that could help us put her to rest. We found the Humane Society, which will not turn anyone away, if you cannot afford the $70 for their service. I expected a very cold and shabby clinic that processed requests, honestly, but was pleasantly surprised at the empathy and care they provided, from receptionist to the nurse who led us to the dimly-lit and peaceful room.

I couldn't go through with staying until the last second, but I did say my goodbyes, tears were shed, and I left her with a "Night-night, Missy." as I looked in her eyes and exited with a feeling of emptiness. I take comfort in the fact she went without feeling unbearable pain and that she lived a really long and mostly healthy life. What sucks is that we have another 12 year old JR that I'm also very close with (I'm a bit of a recluse and I have undoubtedly spent 90% of my life next to them), it's probably going to be harder when I notice these same symptoms, but at least we'll have even more time to prepare.

Thanks for reading my story. I reposted this on a forum where I was able to garner a ton of good advice and information that led to my acceptance of needing to let her go.

I Have The Clap Again
    BG Level

Why is this here?

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Titanss View Post
    Why is this here?
    Close your eyes sweet prince and it shall be gone.

I Have The Clap Again
    BG Level

i miss u bb

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

I delved into addictions and vowed to never have a dog again. Workin well so far. She been dead 4years and i still sometimes wake up confused thinking i forgot to feed her. Shit cray.

7 years since my childhood dog died, and I'm really counting down the days until I'm done with school and can devote the time to another dog. It took me about 5 years to get to this point, though

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

im hoping to find an income-based apartment that allows dogs. my mini dachshund (living with my parents) is getting too old to uproot like that and i miss having a dog around.

also ive shared my sob story about my old dog before. it's around. too tired to post it again, and also i dont feel like getting all weepy.

Got some good sleep last night and woke up better than I thought. I just have that void walking around, not a big crier, but I'm sure it will hit me eventually. My other dog seems to be doing alright. My brother, who's lived in China for the past 5 years, was kinda pissed that he couldn't say goodbye to her, but there was no way I could see her that weak any longer, even if we could've gotten anti-nausea medicine and possibly get her to start eating/drinking. She went peacefully, I know that makes it a little better for him. Fuck the holidays, too, man.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Sorry for your loss. I lost my husky two years ago and I still come home from time to time expecting him to welcome me.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

yeah every now and then i'll see my black backpack out of the corner of my eye and think its my old lab, and so i'll do evasive maneuvers so i dont roll into her with my chair or step on her. cos she was always sleeping just behind and to the side of me so often when i'd push back to get a drink or something it would bump her and scare both of us.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

The only way to cope is to have 2-3 dogs. Had one dog (poodle) we had to put down. One dog (cocker) currently over 10 years old. Two Cocker/pekingese mix about 2.5 years old. My strategy is to have (at least 2 dogs), and when one gets older, to introduce a younger dog. Being without a dog at all would be much harder I think.

That's actually not a bad strategy. Getting another friend for my other Jack to play with would be great, she's a very needy dog and anytime I leave the house, there has to be someone with her to keep an eye on her. She has abandonment issues from my late aunt who raised her for about 2yrs and left. She tends to scratch/lick a lot if left alone, on top of her already bad skin allergies.

For now, until my job security improves, she will get extra attention and some new chew toys to help keep her occupied. I get the same phantom memories of my dog's old nap spots, during feeding times, and walking routine. Doesn't help that I've lived in the same house for nearly the same amount of time together lol Lot's of house cleaning and reorganizing will be in order. Spreading the message and giving back to The Humane Society will also be at the top of my list as well.

Appreciate all the replies dudes, just talking about it is good therapy for me since I tend to be very guarded in life.