Blog Entries

I'm paying for that 25M tier and this is what I am getting

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

I just get tired of the fluctuating speeds with Comcast. I'm paying for 10 upload, but hardly ever see above 7. Even now.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4040503447.png

Download is higher than I'm paying for, but I don't really need that like I need the up. This is 88/mo and will be going up when the initial promotion ends, probably to over 100.

WTB options. I've had AT&T and god forbid I have to go back to that atrociously slow internet. These are the only two in my area.

Professional Pixel Pusher
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Wow, this would entice me if they ever spread up into Canada.
    At the moment, I'm paying about $140 CAD/month for a bundle that includes fibreop home phone and cable.

I was originally signed up for 80down/30up, but they just increased the down speed by about 50% for all people on fibre-op for free.
    I think I'd rather take a reduced price with what I had before than have the just up the speed and charge me the same amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidane View Post
    Comcast (ISP) pricing is highly regionalized, dependent on the type of competition that services your home, and if you're still in the reduced price portion of a contact.

I paid more than you do and only got 20Mbps with Comcast. They also insulted me and were incapable of fixing any issue with their service. My experiences have given me an extremely negative bias associated with Comcast. There is no way I will willingly give them money to be fucked over. As long as there is an alternative, I will use it.

The problem is, of course, alternatives. There is no 1Gbps service available and not even a whisper of anyone building it. Even after switching to Verizon FiOS, the one alternative, I pay more than anyone in this thread for slower speeds (40Mbps now). Their service has been mostly good, but recently there have been multiple days were I'm lucky to get a consistent 5Mbps down with terrible latency.

1Gbps down would be incredible.
    I think i just hit the jackpot with where i live. I think for the price i'm paying, i'm getting good speeds and the only time i see those speeds go down is when i'm doing something (Like downloading stuff today, holy shit at all the screeners that came out). We even got that X1 TV box for the bedrooom (Tivo in the living room), and the tech that came to install it said our signal was good enough, but he didn't want to risk it. Guy installed a booster on the inline and tripled the single on every line in the house for free (i say free but the total cost of our package is around 200 because the GF needs all channels). Guy was nice, and helpful. We have had like 1 outage in 5 years and they gave us the month free for like 3 days it didn't work. I want to be on the comcast hate train (Because of SOPA and all that other shit), but the service where i'm at has been great.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by octopus View Post
    I would kill to get Google Fiber. As I started playing FFXIV I'm starting to hate Fios lol...
    o_O You realize that FiOS is on fiber yeah? Verizon is probably guilty of trying to use SMF for their fiber to curb.

Yeah, but do you know about their feud with level 3 and ffxiv lag?

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Comcast prices are going to vary by where you live and how much you argue for a price. I'm currently paying 35 a month and due to them making a massive billing fuckup, are giving me 100down 25up. I'll have to yell at them again in a few months when that promo runs out.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4041670026.png

fastest internet in my area, upload really sucks and makes streaming very difficult. hoping to get Google at some point, Charlotte's on the "possible candidates" list. With it possibly going to Raleigh next it wouldn't be too far of a stretch.

Doesn't take it for granite
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4041708711.png

This is what $76/mo gets me and is the fastest option I have in my area. Kill me, please.

Elvaan Death Machine
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pharaun Methelys
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_Wheel22 View Post

This is what $76/mo gets me and is the fastest option I have in my area. Kill me, please.
    Oh god, that has to be about the shittiest internet I have ever seen.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/4041670026.png

fastest internet in my area, upload really sucks and makes streaming very difficult. hoping to get Google at some point, Charlotte's on the "possible candidates" list. With it possibly going to Raleigh next it wouldn't be too far of a stretch.
    5 is perfect upload for streaming, you don't need really any more than 3 to do it comfortably.

wtfffffffffff

mine

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4041797596.png

Still waiting for Google to hit Salt Lake City, we've been on the list of "potential" cities for a little while now. Definitely a Day 1 for me. My next door neighbor works for Google Fiber down in Provo. I haven't experienced it myself yet, but I ger to hear about how awesome it is.

Speaking of Comcast speeds, if you haven't recently rebooted your modem, you may want to do that once in a while. This is probably regional, but I got a big boost that I didn't even know about. I was sitting at 50Mbps and my coworker told me after a reboot he was at 100 Mbps. Sure enough, I went home and ran a speedtest, rebooted the modem and ran another speed test, and watched it go from 50 to 100.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

This explains why you have guns available. Are we going to have to disavow any knowledge of you if an ISP office in Oregon gets shot up?

Google maybe waiting for the FCC to decide if internet is a utility before they make any announcements Fuuuuu

Google really has no reason to wait. They would benefit the most with complete access to the grid, of which current providers are trying to block them from using. I wish South FL had some 100+ residential service.

Quote Originally Posted by Waraji View Post
    Google really has no reason to wait. They would benefit the most with complete access to the grid, of which current providers are trying to block them from using. I wish South FL had some 100+ residential service.
    It would cut their costs for deployed fiber in new areas by something like 30-40% from an article I read. They wouldn't have to drill, they could run all the lines on poles.

Elvaan Death Machine
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pharaun Methelys
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Obiron View Post
    Still waiting for Google to hit Salt Lake City, we've been on the list of "potential" cities for a little while now. Definitely a Day 1 for me. My next door neighbor works for Google Fiber down in Provo. I haven't experienced it myself yet, but I ger to hear about how awesome it is.

Speaking of Comcast speeds, if you haven't recently rebooted your modem, you may want to do that once in a while. This is probably regional, but I got a big boost that I didn't even know about. I was sitting at 50Mbps and my coworker told me after a reboot he was at 100 Mbps. Sure enough, I went home and ran a speedtest, rebooted the modem and ran another speed test, and watched it go from 50 to 100.
    The only thing that I worry about is that Google Fiber will only be in Salt Lake City proper and not the metro area. Living in the suburbs makes me worry that I'll miss out on the awesomeness, because it will be a day 1 thing for me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaun View Post
    The only thing that I worry about is that Google Fiber will only be in Salt Lake City proper and not the metro area. Living in the suburbs makes me worry that I'll miss out on the awesomeness, because it will be a day 1 thing for me as well.
    From what I've heard, the first places to get it will be those that already have fiber. I live in Midvale which has Utopia, but unfortunately it hasn't been run to my neighborhood yet. But if you're anywhere near a Utopia area, you may be in luck when Google hits the area. I'm pretty sure fiber is only a few blocks away form my house, so I'm optimistic.

Elvaan Death Machine
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pharaun Methelys
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Obiron View Post
    From what I've heard, the first places to get it will be those that already have fiber. I live in Midvale which has Utopia, but unfortunately it hasn't been run to my neighborhood yet. But if you're anywhere near a Utopia area, you may be in luck when Google hits the area. I'm pretty sure fiber is only a few blocks away form my house, so I'm optimistic.
    I'm in Riverton so we haven't got shit. I like the area, but being on the ass end of the Valley sucks for getting stuff like this.