+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Google Fiber     submit to reddit submit to twitter

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrag View Post
    I told you they were going there. On our rollout map here in Kansas we see like 7-8 cities they're planning on rolling out to. I think they might expand to NY as well, but with Verizon there they might stick to more remote, non-major cities.

I think they said it would be way to costly to do NY(if we're talking NY City.) Still, until we hear an announcement it's not 100%.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

This is true. They recently canceled installation here in the rich areas (pissed a lot of people off) because the cost of construction just wouldn't have been worth it. That particular part wanted too much money and Google basically said "Um. Sorry, guess we just won't build there".

Here's hoping for you. It's worth it.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/...be-google.html

plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Charlotte plz, maybe time to find a job in the triangle.

Edit: Apparently Charlotte got one too!

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Well, the cable modem ISP in this city changed their overage policy a few days after I posted my links. Now they have a monthly usage limit, after which they throttle you instead of charging extra, and if you want to be unthrottled again, you buy a "data bucket" for $10, the size of which varies based on your plan. I think it works out to slightly cheaper than before, but it's still horrible. At least it won't give you a surprise bill anymore.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015...orth-carolina/

plz plz plz plz plz

Fuck Wed cannot come soon enough.

I'm going to register "interest" for everyone on my street to make sure we get it <_________<;

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Woo! Charlotte confirmed!

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

When I was looking at the news, I saw this: AT&T Proves Competition Matters (title mine). It looks like as soon as Raleigh was being considered for Google Fiber, they announced they were going to have gigabit connections. Hopefully the Google expansion continues and these other ISPs have to start competing against a company unwilling to play their game.

I know that Verizon was given a bunch of money to lay fiber around here (they stopped and said it was too expensive or some nonsense). No where close to a gigabit for all those taxpayer dollars.

I wonder how much Google gets in taxpayer dollars for all this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidane View Post
    When I was looking at the news, I saw this: AT&T Proves Competition Matters (title mine). It looks like as soon as Raleigh was being considered for Google Fiber, they announced they were going to have gigabit connections. Hopefully the Google expansion continues and these other ISPs have to start competing against a company unwilling to play their game.

I wish there was some way for me to show the Googs that I need a gigabit connection.
    ATT is not fucking available anywhere though. They say it is... but it's not. I can get U-Verse with a whole bunch of 18mb....

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

raleigh so hype

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Party in my house!.. Not really, but maybe? Dunno who else here lives here.

Where's here?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

ATT is not fucking available anywhere though. They say it is... but it's not. I can get U-Verse with a whole bunch of 18mb....
    At least they're pretending, I guess. Better than saying no one needs fast internet?

I'm so jelly

Quote Originally Posted by Tidane View Post
    At least they're pretending, I guess. Better than saying no one needs fast internet?
    I guess... It has a data cap though. And they purposefully sniff all your traffic unless you pay like an extra $30/mo.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I guess... It has a data cap though. And they purposefully sniff all your traffic unless you pay like an extra $30/mo.
    Should be illegal. Not just sniffing traffic, but having a data cap too. Paying for a monthly service that they won't actually provide is theft.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast