BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeota Fourier
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Homeplugs for gaming?

So at my new place, our router is on one side of the house, and my room is on the other. Hard-wiring isn't viable either, since the only other phone jack in the house won't work with the router.

So I ask this: has anyone here had experience using a homeplug/pluglink for games like FFXIV, or even for PS3/4 games?

I'm using a USB wireless adapter now, and the lag makes it more or less unplayable. I was told a homeplug would be a better alternative if hard-wiring isn't an option.

Thank you.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

First, make sure it's the wireless for the reason it being "laggy" and not just your connection (or you; lol sorry). You can get a long ethernet cable and run it temporarily if you can't move the machine. If you have a solid connection (4-5 bars), the wireless probably isn't causing a high ping. 1-3 bars though, yeah you'll want another option.

Ethernet over power is a good option, but just keep in mind that what you think might be a short distance can be much longer when going through the house's wiring. The strength of the signal (and max bandwidth) are dependent on that distance and quality of the wiring. There's also the price; not too cheap for higher bandwidth ones.

With a long enough ethernet cable, you could probably find a creative way to get connected across the house. Like poking a small hole in the sheetrock to the attic and running the cable through on both sides (I had to do this to put coax/cable tv in each room). Easy to patch up if you don't need it anymore. Can even plug it into a second router and then have a strong wireless signal for that side of the house. Could do the second router thing with the pluggable too (this might be the most convenient option).

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeota Fourier
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Ah, ok. It's a 1180 square foot rental house built back in the 60's if that says anything. Most of the properties where I live are upwards of 50 years old.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

A rental... probably best not to do any mods to the place. A stretch of cable from your modem to a good enough central point for your current router is probably the best compromise, and cheapest, followed by getting a second router and cabling it somewhere off your first (in case the signal is just too weak for the place/obstructions/etc). This assumes you have a possible way to hide the cable so it's not in the way or sticking out all ugly-like. There's also wireless repeaters, but if it's purely wireless repeating then you lose half the total possible bandwidth off the repeater, so it's usually better to wire the repeater somehow (and any old router can act like a repeater).

For the pluggables though, only real way to know is to try one. Can combine it with a cheap router to help get some range in case plugging it into an outlet on the other side of the house gives too weak a signal. Maybe someone can chime in on good ones, but I would consult reviews on amazon, newegg and the like in the meantime.

2600klub
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Homeplugs work great, my current house is 50s built, and I get 40mbs down 20 up on my 80/40 connection.

So much better than wifi.

Mostly for PC gaming, but do use it for ps3 occasionally and its fine.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I use a pair of these. http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They cap out for me at about 40mb which sucks, but much better than the 3mb (and lots of dropped packets) wireless I was getting in my apparently specially made wireless resistant house.