Thread: oculus rift dk1 questions     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

oculus rift dk1 questions

so a friend of mine just got a hold of one of these thinking he would be able to use it with his laptop(lol) and wants to sell this to me.

it is the dev kit 1(dk1) model.

was wondering what are the differences between dk1 and dk2, what are the limitations.

what can it do, is there a list of compatible games?

and what would be a fair price for a use oculus rift dk1? i was looking on ebay and bids seemed to start at around 200 bucks.

Main difference is DK2 has higher resolution and a better head tracking system. DK2 is also a piece of shit for the most part, DK1 is much more friendly.

Occulus has a list of compatible games on their website.

$150-$200 is a fair price for the DK1.

Keep in mind, these are developers kits, if you don't plan to use them for development, the amount of use you can get is pretty limited. They're not consumer friendly.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Resolution is fairly low. You get a very noticeable screen door effect to the extent text will be unreadable and if the IPD (interpupillary distance) is not set correctly you'll be spending a good amount of time crosseyed wondering what's going on. It's been a while since I've used mine but I know for a fact it works with Portal as well as Elite: Dangerous quite well, although depending on what you use it with you might be able to kludge something together with third party middleware; I was able to get FFXIV ARR running after a fashion with this method though with middling results. It's possible that yaw (lateral head tilt) is supported, but this has to be baked in support and not one of the aforementioned third party libraries since in most games it's not even a consideration.

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Darus Grey View Post
    Main difference is DK2 has higher resolution and a better head tracking system. DK2 is also a piece of shit for the most part, DK1 is much more friendly.

Occulus has a list of compatible games on their website.

$150-$200 is a fair price for the DK1.

Keep in mind, these are developers kits, if you don't plan to use them for development, the amount of use you can get is pretty limited. They're not consumer friendly.
    wait, so it's better but shittier?

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Dk2 wrecks dk1 in every possible way. Motion blur is a real problem with dk1 so rift sickness is a legitimate concern..

That said, good price for a dk1. I was able to use dk2 for a few hours with no issues but dk1 makes me sick after about 15 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Vandole View Post
    Dk2 wrecks dk1 in every possible way. Motion blur is a real problem with dk1 so rift sickness is a legitimate concern..

That said, good price for a dk1. I was able to use dk2 for a few hours with no issues but dk1 makes me sick after about 15 minutes
    To clarify, from a developers standpoint DK2 is a hot mess.

We're how many months out and OSX compatibility is still basically broken.

The issue isn't with the hardware, it's the drivers and SDKs. DK2 has been plagued with bad drivers and compatibility nightmares. DK1 is relatively painless to use by comparison.