Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

yes, game operates on a megaserver system now

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Even before megaservers you could just guest with your friends wherever you wanted. Nowadays there aren't even server-specific zones anymore and you'll automatically be put in with your party/guild (provided they aren't split up), and you can still "Join in" via party menu to go elsewhere if they are.

It's pretty sweet, and quite frankly incredibly revolutionary if you ask me. Guesting was fine and all but there would still be dead mid-level maps on some servers as the game naturally evolved. You couldn't find one if you tried now, as even the most unpopular annoying zones will be zoning in the games entire player pool.

That's mad cool, as much as I don't like the LFG and partying system(or lack thereof), that kind of makes up for it lol

Thanks for the help getting my first map complete Celeras, along with the tips and tricks. Birfday cake and light show was fab. My account is jurassicjp1752 if any noobs wanna noob with me and my paladin queen.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Celeras View Post
    Celeras.4980 if any of you new folks wanna get down. I play a lot. Sea of Sorrows, but that's insignificant for everything except WvW.
    Ah SoS, once my eternal rival. Blackgate here since launch. I remember some of the crazy battles with SoS and JQ way back in the day.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Mine's Kuya.6495 if anybody wana rock some pvp or pve sometime.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

Abandon.8592 if yall wanna jam

Played too much vidya today and got a headache; maybe from all the ADHD gameplay from Edge? of Mists WvW spammage. Haven't binge-gamed in a long ass time lol

I played Mists like 2 hours off some random tip. I can't see how people can grind levels on that shit. Map exploring is not only more fun, it also seems like the exp is faster anyways.

I'll add yall to my friend list either tonight or tomorrow morning. I plan on doing PvP once I've given all weapon combos a try.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

EoTM can be reasonably fast if you run with a bunch of people spamming events, but it's a pretty boring way to play. It's more of a "you've done this a million times and just want to speedrush" tip rather than for new players, imo.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I've put in a few hours and I'm really enjoying it. FFXI and XIV are the only MMOs I've given a shot besides this and I feel like this is somewhat like XIV (at least combat wise). There was something about XIV I just didn't like so I never stuck with it and the monthly sub fee made it easy to not continue. I can see myself getting into this one. Kalmado.9183 is my ID. I've added anyone that's listed their ID here.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

So I've put some hours into this one and while I like the combat and what not, I'm not sure I understand what's I'm supposed to be doing? I always go to the "hearts" npc and do what they want. Earn exp and what not. Is there any thing else to this?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    So I've put some hours into this one and while I like the combat and what not, I'm not sure I understand what's I'm supposed to be doing? I always go to the "hearts" npc and do what they want. Earn exp and what not. Is there any thing else to this?
    Always try to go off the beaten path, even though that is the B'n'B of leveling up. I try to party up with any strangers I come across doing the same events, it's fun running from one event/non-heart to another and culminating up to a champion boss fight (not to be confused with world boss fights).

Crafting also gives a few levels if you have like 10g sitting around(I just hit 13g at lv37). Mix PvP into your daily log-in; combat really is a whole other animal when you're not against slow ass AI. I also just started trying out the "activities" in Lion's Arch, those are pretty entertaining, reminded me of Mario Party mini-games.

Basically, explore new areas, try a little bit of everything, the game will reward you with whatever you want to do.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Have you been doing the story missions? They're the green stars. They're what advances the "plot" (it's an MMO, it's kinda meh) but it allows you to pick your Order a bit later. Also the big sort of draw to the game is World vs World and PvP. I have no experience with PvP but WvW is hundreds of players trying to keep key strategic forts and supply lines. The longer they keep these areas, the more points they accumulate per tick. These then translate to influence in the PvE world giving your entire server small bonuses such as minor % to basic stats and foraging/mining (possibility of getting 2 ores for 1 mine, for example) Your level automatically gets bumped up to 80 but only by statistics. Your gear and skills still stay the same so 80s still have an advantage.

Also keep an eye out for orange global events. They pop up once in a while and you can jump in at any time (unless it's like the last seconds and you couldn't contribute anything.) These are good "change of pace" events to sorta add a little diversity and spice to the mundane "go here, complete quest, go here next"

Think that sums up the basics.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep an eye out for the green stars. I have zero interest in pvp so that's out. I'll just keep going along with the story as best as I can.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

As mentioned, doing the story missions is probably a good idea if you want a little more direction in your gameplay.

I know when i started i just aimlessly explored entire zones just following hearts and events around the map.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Hearts were only added to the game because their testing revealed new players had no sense of direction without them. You'd be doing yourself a disservice by just jumping heart to heart.

Aside from exploring like others say, I tend to tell new players to stick around for a minute or two after an event ends and take in the ambiance. There's almost always dialogue leading to additional events, and in some cases epic chains to some pretty cool stuff. My favorite whilst leveling the first time was in the charr starter zone in one of the betas, the chain ends up opening an easily missed portal to an underwater puzzle/champion (statue head/frozen chain).

THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

New patch pushed in today removed World Completion and restructured Stability to a Intensity-stack system. Also changed the camera system.

Thought they were going to wait for HoT to push all of this.

Not dying from sliding down a hill is good. First person-mode, is good, oddly missing for 2 years. Same goes for ping, but why can't they stick that into the UI? They fucked up the lifebars for PVP, chat text, and apparently the skill voices got swapped around lol I learned that they attempted to fix the kick-system for partying, still able to kick players with 2 votes. I haven't been able to play much, but it appears everyone's FPS took a hit on the camera upgrade. Probably will just log-in to do dailies later tonight and skip PVP session. Despite how awesome this game looks, it runs as bad as FFXI (in some cases) and has even less (UI/chat/dat files) customization, so odd.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Haven't noticed any FPS hits as I'm still between 50-80 depending on player density, but would fully expect it to be reduced if you mess with a FoV or collision slider. That's just kinda common sense I think.

Necro life force finally being in the party UI is probably my favorite thing in the update as I roam with a necro in WvW all the time. So much easier to tell if he's about to eat dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Celeras View Post
    Haven't noticed any FPS hits as I'm still between 50-80 depending on player density, but would fully expect it to be reduced if you mess with a FoV or collision slider. That's just kinda common sense I think.

Necro life force finally being in the party UI is probably my favorite thing in the update as I roam with a necro in WvW all the time. So much easier to tell if he's about to eat dirt.
    That does sound handy. I normally deal with necros on the other end, they can kick rocks with their condi spams lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast