+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Monitor won't power on.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Monitor won't power on.

Me and my GF were playing, went to watch a movie and came back to our PCs (which we didn't power down) and her monitor wouldn't turn on. Curious if there is anything simple to test or if we're looking at a new monitor.

Is it by chance a dell monitor or one you've had for a while? My power button on mine is held in place on a plastic wedge like this --------O where the dash is the plastic and the O was the button. My plastic part broke so when I pressed the button it wouldn't spring back out, and therefore my monitor wouldn't turn on. I opened up my monitor and reattached the piece with super glue and it was good as new.

It may not be that but hey, worth a shot.

Unplug it and plug it back in. Some monitors won't turn on unless they're completely unplugged.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Depends if you have any leds lit up at all like the power button, or could be power supply. Can open it up to look for bad solders or capacitors, or start going over things with a multimeter.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Gonna necro this post as it's relevant again. So my new Monoprice Zero G slim monitor I got on black friday did the same thing as my gfs. Was playing D3 then went to watch TV, came back and had no picture. Unplugged it, turned on/off etc, checked cables but no dice. Out of curiosity I decided to plug in my gfs old monitor and surprise, it works now. Using the same DVI/Power cable that was used on my monitor so I know those aren't the problem. LED turns on/blue to indicate it's on and "should" be receiving a signal. I don't understand what is going on with these monitors.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Siya, you have the worst luck with tech.

Onto plan B...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

A lot of monitors have problems getting stuck in sleep mode. An old Gateway monitor used to do it to me all the time and even my Dell P2715Q does it now. The only solution I ever found was unplugging it while the monitor was on to try and reset the board. If that doesn't work, I don't know what to tell ya.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Enzan Red
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Does the setup in question use two monitors? My Asus monitor will sometimes have the blue LED on but the screen will be black. It happens when I use my TV with my PC as a second screen, and unplug it later. My monitor gets confused on what kind of input it should use or some shit. I was using it with a DVI but it switched to HDMI. I had to plug in an HDMI cable to get to the monitor menu and change input to DVI because for whatever reason you can't access it when the screen is like that.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

It used to be dual monitor but when I thought my gfs monitor died I gave one to her. It's been like that for a while. When I hit power on the monitor I can hear it click, like it's going to turn on but nothing happens.