• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Relic Shield
    BG Level

POL Update? Forgot my login information?

So I had an internet outage over the last 30min, internet got super slow, restarted router, and about 10min later it all cleared up it seems.

I go to sign online, open windower, choose my profile, and then it says POL needs to update to the latest version. I have version 1.18.15e, the update happens instantly, no downloading, and then I have to enter in my member username/password and set everything up for PlayOnline all over again. Uhh, what? What would make this happen? If I didn't know any better (and well, I don't) this seems like it's a keylogger or something, not sure who would be trying to steal FFXI accounts, though.

Any idea what would cause this to happen? Not putting my info in yet, just going to go to sleep or something...

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

nuke it into orbit, doesn't sound right at all. there's no such thing as instant with pol, and credentials should never magically vanish, especially after the strange occurrence of traffic slowdown which could indicate something downloading that shouldn't be

source: i played that shit for like 6 years

Relic Shield
    BG Level

So how would I go about nuking it into orbit...?

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

wanna try targeting and getting rid of whatever it might be? i'd follow ye olde thread:

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/782...es-and-Malware

wanna be 100% sure? reinstall everything and forget about it

keeping in mind it could be nothing at all, i'd try to make sure i'd gotten something first, but absolutely don't input any information you can't afford to lose. have you checked up on SE's website, checked if there was an official update released at all, etc? it should be pretty quick to determine if you've gotten something just by that. typically they'll let you know a hundred times over if a patch of any sort is going to happen.

but pretty much the number of times i had to re-enter information into pol over the course of my time on the game was zero unless i'd done something myself. it seems very out of place.

and who would want the account? rmt, account resellers, etcetc. they're fairly common and they're most of what made me weary of what goes on. if you're not properly protected, you're an easy target.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Well, I ran multiple scans with Avast! and then uninstalled POL and re-installed it, using the software input keyboard for my password. It has reset all my settings but my characters haven't moved from this morning so no one got on my account during the day.