+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Moving to LA.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Devia View Post
    You'll be lucky to find a unit with a refrigerator, much less a washer and dryer. Be sure to inquire about parking.

Be sure to do this. Parking will always always be a point of contention with landlords in LA.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Psion View Post
    I'm surprised no one's mentioned the thing that L.A. residents dubiously call "air". When i went to visit a museum there a few yeras back i spent the entire time needing to drink water every 10 minutes because my mouth felt like it was full of ashes and dust. Hell, especially in winter when the cold air forces it down, you can see a brown haze where L.A. is at from 2 hours south of it on the 5.

Spoiler: show
    BWAHHAHAHA yeah right, as if you ever get from Mission Viejo to L.A. in 2 hours on the 5. more like 4.
    Was no need to mention it, it goes without saying really. Air quality is complete shit. I remember after a night of touge racing with my friends on Glendora Mountain (also fun as shit if you're into that thing, but highly dangerous), we went to the top and looked down at the city of Glendora and Azusa. Complete cover of nothing but smog, lol. Makes you wonder why people even want to live in such a polluted area, but we do.

I've lived a fair number of places, and by far the least enjoyable of them has been southern California. Not in the LA area (more towards Irvine), but I go up there with relative frequency. And I say this as someone who enjoys a good drive.

Everything everyone has said is spot on in terms of traffic and living. I have a friend who commutes from Reseda to Culver City, and it takes him anywhere from 40-70 minutes to drive 20 miles.

Toll roads aren't an option, since they're egregiously expensive; but I think all of those are more towards Irvine. Surprised nobody has mentioned the 405 construction that's going on; since that completely kills evenings/weekends too. The 10 is equally terrible.

Yeah. Hope the job's for the vidya games, because there's no other job that could drag me back to this area.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

There's literally nowhere within 5 miles of the city limits of Santa Monica that could be described as "dangerous". If you're planning on living somewhat close to Santa Monica you're going to be just fine. My recommendation is find the cheapest place you can in that 5 mile radius (that has the bare minimum requirements for you - probably in Mar Vista?) and live there for a year so you can figure the area / your finances out - then you can upgrade if you like.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Talint View Post
    Surprised nobody has mentioned the 405 construction that's going on; since that completely kills evenings/weekends too.
    The 405 construction in this area is complete, there's now carpool lanes both directions from the valley to LAX.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    Was no need to mention it, it goes without saying really. Air quality is complete shit. I remember after a night of touge racing with my friends on Glendora Mountain (also fun as shit if you're into that thing, but highly dangerous), we went to the top and looked down at the city of Glendora and Azusa. Complete cover of nothing but smog, lol. Makes you wonder why people even want to live in such a polluted area, but we do.
    While I don't race, I love a good spirited drive. What are good roads to drive in that area?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I've lived a fair number of places, and by far the least enjoyable of them has been southern California. Not in the LA area (more towards Irvine), but I go up there with relative frequency. And I say this as someone who enjoys a good drive.

Everything everyone has said is spot on in terms of traffic and living. I have a friend who commutes from Reseda to Culver City, and it takes him anywhere from 40-70 minutes to drive 20 miles.

Toll roads aren't an option, since they're egregiously expensive; but I think all of those are more towards Irvine. Surprised nobody has mentioned the 405 construction that's going on; since that completely kills evenings/weekends too. The 10 is equally terrible.

Yeah. Hope the job's for the vidya games, because there's no other job that could drag me back to this area.
    The job is for vidya games. I am an east coaster at heart, and only my dream job would take me out to LA.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    There's literally nowhere within 5 miles of the city limits of Santa Monica that could be described as "dangerous". If you're planning on living somewhat close to Santa Monica you're going to be just fine. My recommendation is find the cheapest place you can in that 5 mile radius (that has the bare minimum requirements for you - probably in Mar Vista?) and live there for a year so you can figure the area / your finances out - then you can upgrade if you like.
    Cool, that is what I was planning to do, and what my new company suggested.

BG Level

Welcome to the good life.

Quote Originally Posted by ringthree View Post
    The job is for vidya games. I am an east coaster at heart, and only my dream job would take me out to LA.
    Figured as much when you said Santa Monica.

Dunno if it's your first industry job, but here's some sage advice from my lead designer: "[The] company doesn't actually care about you. Work crunch when it's mandatory, otherwise work eight (unless you're hourly, in which case, hope the OT means big bucks). This industry lives on youth, ignorance, and dreams."

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Figured as much when you said Santa Monica.

Dunno if it's your first industry job, but here's some sage advice from my lead designer: "[The] company doesn't actually care about you. Work crunch when it's mandatory, otherwise work eight (unless you're hourly, in which case, hope the OT means big bucks). This industry lives on youth, ignorance, and dreams."
    The company I am working for is pretty well known as a great place to work. And I am not young, and they knew this when they hired me. Honestly, if they wanted to work me to the bone, I would be fine with that.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I'm applying to an Optometry school near L.A. in Pomona.

This stuff helps ease some of the anxiety about moving out west.

You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

While I don't race, I love a good spirited drive. What are good roads to drive in that area?
    Glendora Mountains during the afternoon while the younger peeps are at school/work is best. Nighttime is pretty given to touge drivers so remember that. There's actually a video for this road here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB23WQvoGVY

Turn off the music, it gets annoying. But you have an idea of the road you would be driving on.

However, me and my buddies do most of our chase racing on Angeles Crest Highway (near Pasadena/Glendora), which is way more dangerous for everyone involved if racing or driving fast. Rockslides, multiple weaving blind turns, sharp and fast curves and if you're going up from Foothill there is the potential danger of understeering if you're going over 45, which is dangerous because past the rail is a exceptionally steep drop down the mountain range at some parts. I've actually known a dude that flew right off on an understeer, killed instantly. Magnify this 10x at night and throw in police officers and rangers looking to catch roadsters and you are looking at very interesting Friday/Saturday nights. Another downside is that most cellphones lose reception in the higher areas as well.

The best thing about Angeles Crest is that car enthusiasts LOVE the safe areas and this road overall. You'll see Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Porsches, Aston Martins and any other manner of cars on a good Sunday, and you will also see photographers who will take pictures of people zooming by during races/spirited runs. Lot of well to do people from Cal-Tech/JPL, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and South Pasadena. If you're going to do any sort of thrill driving on this road, go up slowly, drive down at a decent speed until you learn the roads.

Video of that road here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xs2icxz-6o

IT ONLY TOOK 11 YEARS.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Devia Danoma
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Decker Canyon, California State Route 23, between the 1 and the 101

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

What I assume LA is like: I've been to a lot of places but not CA.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    Glendora Mountains during the afternoon while the younger peeps are at school/work is best. Nighttime is pretty given to touge drivers so remember that. There's actually a video for this road here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB23WQvoGVY

Turn off the music, it gets annoying. But you have an idea of the road you would be driving on.

However, me and my buddies do most of our chase racing on Angeles Crest Highway (near Pasadena/Glendora), which is way more dangerous for everyone involved if racing or driving fast. Rockslides, multiple weaving blind turns, sharp and fast curves and if you're going up from Foothill there is the potential danger of understeering if you're going over 45, which is dangerous because past the rail is a exceptionally steep drop down the mountain range at some parts. I've actually known a dude that flew right off on an understeer, killed instantly. Magnify this 10x at night and throw in police officers and rangers looking to catch roadsters and you are looking at very interesting Friday/Saturday nights. Another downside is that most cellphones lose reception in the higher areas as well.

The best thing about Angeles Crest is that car enthusiasts LOVE the safe areas and this road overall. You'll see Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Porsches, Aston Martins and any other manner of cars on a good Sunday, and you will also see photographers who will take pictures of people zooming by during races/spirited runs. Lot of well to do people from Cal-Tech/JPL, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and South Pasadena. If you're going to do any sort of thrill driving on this road, go up slowly, drive down at a decent speed until you learn the roads.

Video of that road here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xs2icxz-6o
    That sounds great, but I will probably go during off-peak times until I get used to the roads. I have already had my "off" in my younger days and now I have a healthy respect for understeer on public roads. I currently drive an FR-S, which is pretty much the perfect car for me. RWD without enough power to get me in trouble. I can go on forever about how much I love this car. It is one of the only sports cars that is in production right now. So fun to drive. Anyway, thanks for the advice!