+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: SNOWMAGEDDON     submit to reddit submit to twitter

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Had another 4-5 inches or so this morning in NYC. Office still open today, but roads were complete shit. The highway was decent, but all other roads looked like they may have taken one pass at them at the start of the storm.

Was hoping I wouldn't have to come in. Was freezing rain for the drive in, supposed to move over to rain in the afternoon, then back to freezing rain and snow. Joy.

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

My mom left this morning to fly back to Erie, so far haven't heard from her but I have to wonder if they're even going to attempt it. She's doing TPA - Detroit, then Detroit to Erie. I don't even know yet if she's made it to Detroit.

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Aksannyi View Post
    My mom left this morning to fly back to Erie, so far haven't heard from her but I have to wonder if they're even going to attempt it. She's doing TPA - Detroit, then Detroit to Erie. I don't even know yet if she's made it to Detroit.
    Update on this:

My mom left Tampa this morning and arrived safely in Detroit. I checked online and saw that her flight to Erie was actually in the air so I assumed all would be well, maybe they'd circle the airport for a while but no biggie, right?

Well it turns out Erie is not accepting flights (yeah that's a thing, never heard of it before), so they had to fly back to Detroit (my logical side wonders what they'd have done if they didn't have enough fuel). My mom is now hanging in Detroit until tomorrow morning where she will hopefully get a flight to Cleveland, and the need someone to drive the deathtrap known as I-90 to go pick her up (I know damn well she won't rent a car and do that, my mom + driving in snow does not mix).

So I'm really wondering why in the fuck Detroit even let the plane off the ground to Erie, I guess they didn't know Erie wasn't taking flights? But why wouldn't they check into that considering the weather and the snowstorm? My mom is not a frequent flier and she actually hates it so she must be freaking out. I'm glad to know that she is at least safe and has landed back in Detroit. Kind of wish she'd stayed here.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

The western half of I-90 is probably the most uneventful, low key interstate in the entire mid Atlantic/north east. They plow, salt, and smooth the shit out of it to the extent that the only deaths happening are due to boredom.

That said; Mor snow! Rolling right out the door and being able to connect everywhere, not having to trailer is nice

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

yeah my initial reaction was "wat" but then i remembered I-90 curves south from milwaukee to chicago and continues east from there.

west of milwaukee (until south dakota, idk it after that), I-90's worst problem is being occasionally bouncy. idk why it happened, but the old surface got super wavy. so you'd be cruising along and get in this sickening bounce. they redid the whole lot of it so it's much better, but there's still some minor bouncing. As for snow... WI and MN may suck at lots of things, but snow removal is definitely not one of them. Plow drivers make multiple passes, as the snow is falling, to keep it from getting a foothold. High traffic also keeps the pavement warm-ish and clear.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Aksannyi View Post
    Update on this:

My mom left Tampa this morning and arrived safely in Detroit. I checked online and saw that her flight to Erie was actually in the air so I assumed all would be well, maybe they'd circle the airport for a while but no biggie, right?

Well it turns out Erie is not accepting flights (yeah that's a thing, never heard of it before), so they had to fly back to Detroit (my logical side wonders what they'd have done if they didn't have enough fuel). My mom is now hanging in Detroit until tomorrow morning where she will hopefully get a flight to Cleveland, and the need someone to drive the deathtrap known as I-90 to go pick her up (I know damn well she won't rent a car and do that, my mom + driving in snow does not mix).

So I'm really wondering why in the fuck Detroit even let the plane off the ground to Erie, I guess they didn't know Erie wasn't taking flights? But why wouldn't they check into that considering the weather and the snowstorm? My mom is not a frequent flier and she actually hates it so she must be freaking out. I'm glad to know that she is at least safe and has landed back in Detroit. Kind of wish she'd stayed here.
    There are always three alternates within fuel range plus 20% for holding. They plan for that when they fuel the plane. The one exception is trans-ocean flights. If they get near the %20 threshold, they can declare emergency and clear the runway and approach for immediate landing. Watch this if you want an understanding of how it works. At 1:53, they declare emergency. At that point, the ATC clears the pattern, hold all ground traffic short of runway 22L, rolls ground emergency crews, and proceed through the checklist for declared emergency. They coordinate incoming aircraft for landing since this particular emergency does not involve low fuel. Emergencies like this happen every day around the world. The general public never hears about any of it because the vast majority of them end with no issues due to the incredible amount of redundancy and caution in commercial flights.

As far as Erie closing their runway(s?), they most likely made the call after your mom's flight was in the air. When the intended destination became unavailable, they chose one of their 3 alternates. Detroit was the best option.

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Acevalefor View Post
    There are always three alternates within fuel range plus 20% for holding. They plan for that when they fuel the plane. The one exception is trans-ocean flights. If they get near the %20 threshold, they can declare emergency and clear the runway and approach for immediate landing. Watch this if you want an understanding of how it works. At 1:53, they declare emergency. At that point, the ATC clears the pattern, hold all ground traffic short of runway 22L, rolls ground emergency crews, and proceed through the checklist for declared emergency. They coordinate incoming aircraft for landing since this particular emergency does not involve low fuel. Emergencies like this happen every day around the world. The general public never hears about any of it because the vast majority of them end with no issues due to the incredible amount of redundancy and caution in commercial flights.

As far as Erie closing their runway(s?), they most likely made the call after your mom's flight was in the air. When the intended destination became unavailable, they chose one of their 3 alternates. Detroit was the best option.
    I should clarify - they flew from Detroit. They literally flew from Detroit to Erie and back to Detroit again, and there are at least three major airports between those cities they could have landed at - but didn't.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Yep. For whatever reason, Detroit was the best alternative. No idea what it could be, but I could make a few guesses.

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I'm sure it was all snow, there's snow everywhere else they could have landed.

I did talk to my mom though and she's apparently flying to Buffalo tonight where she will stay until tomorrow, my grandfather will go pick her up. Not that flying to Buffalo would be any safer than Erie, considering the weather is almost always worse there. But yeah. I feel bad that she left this morning, I would have had her stay here another day.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by Arvin View Post
    yo man this shits been nonstop. people can't drive faster than 25 mph on the dan ryan lol
    Went downtown for Superbowl party, big mistake. 40mph winds through those wind tunnels - like freakin' Diamond Dust out there. The streets are rampant with anarchy. No one is walking on the sidewalks in the neighborhoods and the dib fighting is hilarious.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6