BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Best Versions

I'm thinking of going back and replaying each of the numbered games in the series, in order, and want to play the best version of each as well as the platform. By "best", I mean whatever version will offer the best mix of graphical/sound quality, with the least amount of glitches/compromises. Basically, I want the most flawless experience for each game, which may mean that emulation of a few games may be out of the question.

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

• FF1: PSP, though unsure if emulated on PPSSPP would be better or come with some compromises.
    • FF2: Same as above.
    • FF3: Thinking either PC or emulated on PPSSPP.
    • FF4: Complete collection on PSP. Maybe emulated on PPSSPP, but not sure if that would come with some compromises.
    • FF5: GBA, either emulated via VBA or on the Gamecube GBA player.
    • FF6: Same as above.
    • FF7: PC, with or without mods, or original/PS Classic on PS3.
    • FF8: PC, or original/PS Classic on PS3.
    • FF9: Original/PS Classic on PS3.
    • FF10: No-brainer here - HD on PS3.
    • FF10-2: Same as above.
    • FF12: Tough call here. I'm leaning more toward the original on PS2, since I'm unsure of how well it will run emulated on PCSX2. I do know that the IZJS version would be the one to play emulated, and that I can at least crank up the eye-candy with it, but worried about graphical/sound glitches.
    • FF13: PS3. I have the PC version, and while running it with all the eye-candy on is nice and all, the completely inconsistent frame-rate drive me nuts.
    • FF13-2: Same as above.
    • FF13-3: No choice for the moment but PS3, but I do know it's being released on PC pretty soon. If it turns out anything like the other two ports, I'm guessing that the framerate might be a killer for me here too.

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

There is no way I'd recommend IV on PSP over the incredible DS remake(that you can get on Steam, Android, and iOS too).
    V and VI I would concur on GBA except that the sound quality is a touch worse. The Android/iOS releases have redrawn sprites if you can stand touch control.
    XII on PC ran perfectly fine on PCSX2 like 5 years ago when the International version was fan translated; I'd go that route.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Funny this came up.
    I just read this the other day: http://icrontic.com/article/the-best...-final-fantasy
    May not be the best, and a couple things are missing (FFX HD), but should help.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

The best version of FF1 I know of is actually the PS version (Emulate or play on a PS1/PS2) simply because it's a bit closer to the original, even tho they fixed some stuff up. Rest, I'd actually have to play them to see.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meek Marcello
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Mobile 1-6, easily the best versions in content, soundtrack, least amount of bugs, and graphics(sprite fags can fuck off).
    HD remastered 7, either PC or soon to come PS4
    Original 8, 9 PC emulated or from PSN on PS3/Vita.
    FFX HD remastered on PS3/PS4/Vita
    FF12 Zodiac release emulated and patched. Fuck the original version.
    FF13 PS3/PC

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

hmm.. given your best criteria i'd say most will lie in PSP or PS3 version.

FF1-3: the PSP version offers the highest graphic quality on a dedicated gaming system.
    if you have an iPad then those might be a consideration as well, if you don't mind the touch screen controls.

FF4: if best graphics also means 3d remake, then for this one, iOS as well, because the graphics on that is superior to DS by far. You can also follow up with TAY on iOS, which is the only platform that has it in 3D iirc. I'm actually hoping they release the 3D complete collection on PSVita or something.. because i happen to be one who hates touchscreen controls. Otherwise 2d goes to FF4CC for PSP.

FF5-6: in terms of graphics and sound, the Anthologies version is probably your best bet, and i think thats available on PSN. The GBA versions do add quite a fair bit of content but compromise on sound and to some extent graphics. however if you prefer the extra content / translation work in the GBA version, go for that. iOS version is technically graphically "superior".. but ugly.

FF7: you have 2 options. the original (available on PSN for PS3) for superior music, or the Steam version for superior graphics, but shitty music.

FF9: PSN

FF10/10-2: PS3 HD remake. or wait a few months and get the PS4 one (if u have a PS4). One would think it would only get better.

FF11: lol. you didn't ask, but PC anyway.

FF12: I believe the HQ emulated version is the best around. PCSX2? otherwise playing the original disc on a (old) PS3 is good too.

FF13 / lightning saga: PS3 for all.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

1 and 2: PSP or emulated PSP

3: Steam version

4: DS/iOS version changes a lot of things and the Augment system is overpowered as fuck, but if you absolutely need 3D go for that. The spritework in Complete Collection for PSP is phenomenal though and you get the entire 4 saga that way.

5 and 6: GBA or emulated GBA, iOS/Android has the same content but the controls and art style are gross. If you can deal with them and don't mind paying $16 for such an old game then go for it.

7: PC version. If you can find it and get it to run, get the old old old PC port and patch it up with 3rd party models, music, and textures. Don't remember if the Steam version supports them.

8: Emulate and upscale the graphics

9: only one version

10: Vita or PS3

12: Emulate, get Zodiac version and english patch that shit

13 I and II: PC versions. Better graphics and the option for Japanese VO

13 III: PC when it's available. Should be soon

If you end up with the mobile versions of any of these games, I highly suggest investing in a bluetooth controller for your phone. They normally hold your phone in place to make a sort of handheld console and give you hard controls to work with. They're cheap as fuck. iPega II is a good one.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

6 is definitely GBA with the sound restoration patch. (I'd also suggest the woolsey compromise patch if you want to mix in a little bit of nostalgia)

There is similarly a sound restoration patch for 5.

There is no fucking reason you should ever play the atrocity that is the phone remakes, unless for some reason the graphic style and terrible touch controls doesn't bother you at all. (If that's the case, you're fucking weird, but more power to you.)

Links:

FF5A sound restoration: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/563/
    FF6A Woolsey/Slattery compromise: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/718/
    FF6A sound restoration: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/657/

There's a few other patches, some font facelifts and a censor restoration, I haven't checked them out but you can find them here:

FF6A: http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&game=819

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeota Fourier
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Was just gonna mention the sound patches for 5 and 6.

The 3D versions of FF4 also flesh out some plot details that the others don't.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aumaan Prime
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Another vote for PSP over DS/iOS on ff4- beautiful 2d beats mediocre 3d (obviously this argument doesn't apply to the sprite updates in the various iOS-type remakes). The gameplay overhaul on the DS ff4 is interesting, though, and the increased difficulty in most parts is neat too, so if you're enough of a fan of the game it's worth playing both. I remain permanently depressed that they didn't give the PSP treatment to 3/5/6; it would have made an amazing matched set.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeota Fourier
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I do recall there being plans to put FF3 on the Wonderswan alongside 1,2, and 4 way back in 2002.

As for 5 and 6 Anthology, those had dreadful load times, and on top that, FF5's localization was god-awful.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

the WSC version was ultimately cancelled likely due to the extra time and effort outweighing the potential returns on a dying handheld. pity tho. it would have been ff3s only 2D remake.

im just generally peeved at the lack of "3d continuity" given that 3 and 4 were given 3d treatment but not later releases of 5 and 6. 2D is nice for nostalgia i suppose, but i expect the 3d remakes to come eventually.

(edit: i always get the impression that they were toying with developing models for ff5 and somehow decided to create the 4 warriors of light instead..)

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    6 is definitely GBA with the sound restoration patch. (I'd also suggest the woolsey compromise patch if you want to mix in a little bit of nostalgia)

There is similarly a sound restoration patch for 5.

There is no fucking reason you should ever play the atrocity that is the phone remakes, unless for some reason the graphic style and terrible touch controls doesn't bother you at all. (If that's the case, you're fucking weird, but more power to you.)

Links:

FF5A sound restoration: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/563/
    FF6A Woolsey/Slattery compromise: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/718/
    FF6A sound restoration: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/657/

There's a few other patches, some font facelifts and a censor restoration, I haven't checked them out but you can find them here:

FF6A: http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&game=819
    Listen to this man. This post is spot on.

And they're spectacular!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Wow, didn't even know they had made patches to restore the awful music in the GBA versions of 5/6 -downloading/patching them now!

I remember playing about halfway through the 3D remake of 4 on the DS, and didn't care for it very much. I'll probably stick with the PSP version, since it seems extremely polished and those HD sprites look sexy.

Regarding emulating 12 IZJS - what settings do you use in PCSX2 for it to run "perfect"? I've played through it a bit earlier today, and was experiencing all kinds of problems with the audio in the pre-rendered cutscenes. The rest of the game seemed ok, but cutscenes were a complete mess. This is the type of thing that would genuinely ruin the entire experience for me.

And they're spectacular!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

NVM on my PCSX2 question - found some decent settings floating around, and it's now running very nicely for me.

Could never quite get PCSX2 running perfectly, myself, but my PC's old.

XII did have some of its own engine problems with slowdowns, however.