+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Random Freezing Problems     submit to reddit submit to twitter

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Random Freezing Problems

Maybe someone can help me with this, as it's becoming intolerable:

For the past few months, I've had issues with my browser freezing whenever it encounters certain video-type scripts. However, it isn't all videos- for example, some YouTube videos do it, some don't. Some ads do it, some don't. Some animated stuff on Tumblr or whatever will do it, some won't. When this happens, if I try to end-task my browser, it'll appear to shut down, but the task manager will show it still running. After doing this, if I try to shut down, re-open my browser, etc, my whole computer will freeze and I have to just pull the plug. Occasionally this will happen even if I don't try to start a new task.

Things I've tried:
    -Using a different browser (I use Chrome)
    -Scanning for viruses
    -Updating Flash

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Possssssibly your GPU overheating. Do you have a GPU?

If you are using an intel based CPU with intel HD 3xxx/4xxx, try to disable your GPU (note that this will cripple your ability to game; ffxi will be ok tho) and then use the PC normally.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Look through your installed programs listing and startup apps for things you don't recognize. I know some programs come loaded with crapware that tricks you into installing it, and then that crapware loves to inject plugins and ad links into any browser you run (iow, firefox, chrome, IE, anything will get injected if said shitware is present).

You could also try reverting to a clean browser profile. For adblocking on chrome, try uBlock and tick more adblocking servers on its options page. Firefox also has ublock, https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock#firefox . IE has TPL, tracking protection lists, which work like a basic ad blocker: http://www.fanboy.co.nz/ie.html , install this and try out IE on the same places just to see if it still happens.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Possssssibly your GPU overheating. Do you have a GPU?

If you are using an intel based CPU with intel HD 3xxx/4xxx, try to disable your GPU (note that this will cripple your ability to game; ffxi will be ok tho) and then use the PC normally
    I do occasionally have overheating problems, but this happens even right after freshly booting up.

I'll double check for random weird plugins (I think I did already a while back) and try a different adblocking plugin.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

The reason why I didn't suggest plugins was because unless you're running XP or using an ancient netbook, a plugin that is able to bring a system to its knees is rather significant, and I would describe it as rare unless you like subjecting yourself to what I would label as unsafe/experimental/quirky plugins that you need to use to accomplish weird or awkward things. The usual plugins are widespread enough and for them to cause such issues is rather extreme and the symptom is enough for me to think it's not a plugin causing it. However different IT people have different approaches. I'm not saying skip it, but you've got 2 varied opinions here which is worth looking at.

Even if freshly booting up it's possible for something to stress your GPU out quickly and get hot out of proportion.

Alternatively, if you're bored, reformat, install all windows updates, download chrome and run a video. If it persists .. hardware!!! If it doesn't persist... ok plugins! lol

Best thing to do is to not check your plugins but disable it all completely. Along with that, try killing other processes you do not need to eliminate a possible rogue process causing the issue in conjunction with the browser/flash.
    Disable any antivirus too while testing.

Black Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chrian Kywind
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

What OS are you on, IF windows try completly unisntalling Chrome, remove the google folders under app data C:\users\username\appdata\ and check local for google folder and try erasing that then reinstalling chrome fresh