FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Halp with internet speeds on router!

So here's the issue,

My gf just upgraded us to the 105Mbps comcast connection and we got ourselves a new cable modem to provide us with the better speeds, testing out the modem wired direct to my PC, i'm hitting around 130Mbps on speedtest. FUCK YEA!

Connecting it to my router (linksys wrt160n with dd-wrt firmware installed) and my wired speeds take a shit to about 85Mbps. So obviously answering my question, the router bottlenecks my max speed. Been reading up on this, and people are saying the router is old and you won't get the full speed, others say it's dd-wrt causing the issue, So trying to uninstall dd-wrt, i'm trying to find the latest firmware of my router, and the linksys site doesn't have any firmware available for old routers. So here's what i'm planning to do, either find the firmware and hope it's in one of my many flash drives and flash the router back to factory, or buy this new guy for $46 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...54121&csid=_61

OR...

any recommendations on what i can do with dd-wrt?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

The cpu is probably just not fast enough to route the full speed, but you could try putting tomato on it and see if it's any faster than dd-wrt. http://tomato.groov.pl/

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

can this be installed over dd-wrt just like that? holy shit so many damn types of downloads >_> i already see what firmware i need to get, but then there are like a million folders. lol

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

There's loads of versions depending on what features you might want. It's this way since some routers don't have that much space for the larger feature sets, but it definitely could be organized nicer. They still haven't put an english translation of what the various acronyms means, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out based on what's there: http://tomato.groov.pl/?page_id=66
    Also, based on its listing ( http://tomato.groov.pl/?page_id=69 , ) your router only has 4MB of flash rom, so the firmware you choose needs to fit in that space. There's also a subtle difference based on the version of the router you have, changing the cpu type needed by the firmware. And there might be different flash instructions you need to follow. I don't know if DDWRT will flash tomato, probably, but you'll want to have bad-flash recovery instructions available to you in case something messes up.

Though no matter what you do, your lan will never reach the max your service is getting (it'll be just shy). You'll need something with gigabit ethernet to fully saturate it, and your wireless parts will need 5ghz or wireless AC to really get those speeds (not as much an issue since it usually never gets that fast at distance anyway). The router you linked is stuck with 100mb ethernet as well. Take a look at newegg, amazon, or whereever and look for routers with gigabit ethernet ports (1000mb) to ensure you'll get your max speeds. Don't be afraid to pay for a nice router (~$100), though some cheaper ones do have gb ethernet. Your computers will also need gigabit ethernet devices, though yours should be built in already since you got such high speeds directly.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Definitely go with the k24 version if you have v1, it'll be faster. Also, after you flash clear the nvram.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I don't think you're going to get the full speed with that router. The wrt160n only has 10/100 Ethernet ports. Any connection above ~88Mbps you will want 10/100/1000 (Gigabit) Ethernet ports. You are probably going to need to replace the router with a newer model that has them.

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Yea, thanks everyone! Time to find myself a decently priced gigabit router with a good enough wifi speed connection as well.