• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread

Going for a masters maybe, question time.

So finishing up my Bachelor of IT with Security emphasis right now at WGU and looking forward to going for my masters. Had a few questions for people out there in the IT field:

Does it really matter anymore if its brick+mortar vs online, especially when it comes to IT? (The old stigma of online colleges is still out there, but WGU seems to be rather good at how they function and their perception by most)

Should I focus towards security which is my career goal when it comes to my masters? Or is it better to branch into another discipline as my B.S is in IT/security?

My reasons for going for the degree are both political and professional. Since I work in a government agency, higher degree = more $$. I would also like to turn to teaching on the side as an adjunct at a community college possibly

#1. The sitgma is real, most recruiters and headhunters basically have a list of schools that automatically get sent to the trash-bin. I can't say if that school is on it, but it certainly does make a difference. Some companies won't care(and sadly, they're the companies you probably won't want to work for). Evaluate, maybe even ask some recruiters about their opinions on a particular school.

#2. If security is your goal, focus your masters on security, anything else would be rather foolish if you're being honest about your goals.

#3. You don't need a masters to adjunct, hell don't even need a bachelors... (I was an adjunct professor at my university well still being an undergraduate), adjuncting in tech is particularly easy because the demand for adjuncts far outstrips the supply...mainly because the pay is shit compared to practically anything else(just starting an open source project and not working for a semester will earn you more money long-term than the time wasted adjuncting). Even if you're doing it to supplement a full time job, eh...

Keep in mind I do a lot of adjuncting because I like teaching, there's literally no benefit besides personal satisfaction. It's like volunteering that people look at negatively.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I got my masters in September and actually swapped out of a security concentration because I was told about how many military people are getting out in the next five years and a lot of them would have the equivalent to a bachelors in network security already, and people love to hire ex-military.

I swapped my concentration to enterprise network management (also I was far more interested in being a systems administrator or working in a large scale data center like at Google or Apple) and I'm glad I did. However you already have a job you want and are just looking for a bump, so you should be fine. As for schools, the stigma is indeed real - however I had a great experience at Strayer University (no idea if they have a stigma or not) and their IT program is approved by the DoD, CIA, and Homeland Security.

Since you already have a government job, that might be an option for you. Be prepared to write a lot of papers though. 2 exams every 11 weeks and papers due 8 of the remaining 9 was the normal pattern. And I hope you have database experience or the database class is gonna kick your tail....it certainly did mine.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

from NSA's website:

Spoiler: show

Qualifications You should have broad expertise with multiple operating systems and a strong networking background to include network security devices. If you routinely visit network security websites, attend conferences, or maintain your own network we would like to talk to you! If you're a "gamer", enjoy watching "The Big Bang Theory", love the Black Hat Briefings and Capture the Flag events, then you need to talk to us. Can you successfully "smash the stack?" If so, we are looking for you. Applicants should also have knowledge and experience in:

1. Understanding of networking concepts, protocols, and implementations. (e.g. TCP/IP, routing, DNS, etc)
    2. Understanding of operating system concepts in both Windows and Solaris/Linux. (e.g. processes and threads, file systems, memory, etc)
    3. Proficiency with Windows and Solaris/Linux Command-line tools.
    4. Proficiency with system administration on Windows and Solaris/Linux systems.
    5. Hands-on experience managing, maintaining, troubleshooting, installing, and operating common operating systems and basic network infrastructure.
    6. Understanding of and ability to describe current network technologies. (e.g. routers, switches, firewalls, etc)
    7. Experience with structured programming and scripting.
    8. Understanding of common security solutions and their implementations (e.g. firewalls, intrusion detection systems, virus detection tools, etc)

This fast paced critical position requires someone with solid decision making skills, ability to react quickly, and technical :

Technical Competencies:
    Operating system and network analysis
    Operating system administration (Windows and Unix/linux)
    Intrusion detection and response
    Penetration testing
    Packet analysis
    Computer and network forensics
    Low level protocol analysis
    Network administration
    Vulnerability Analysis
    Malicious code analysis

General Competencies:
    Critical Thinking
    Problem Solving

Entry is with a High School diploma and 4 years of experience, or an Associate's degree and 3 years of experience, or a Bachelor's degree and no experience.
    With no experience, degree must be in Computer Science or related field (e.g., Telecommunications, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Forensics, Cyber Security, IT, or Information Systems)
    Experience in network and system administration, IT support, infrastructure support, programming, field engineering, telecommunications, vulnerability analysis, penetration testing, computer forensics, cyber security, or related experience.
    Experience with military training in a relevant area such as JCAC, DNA, etc.

A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Networking/Telecommunications is preferred. .

So looking around the college right by my job that basically shovels graduates into NASA has a masters for InfoSec and a scholarship with the DoD for a full ride + $22,000.

What's funny is another 4yr school already was going to give me this scholarship, even though their total allotment for it was met, but I had to turn it down due to complications and life events, I wonder if they'll take that into consideration.

2 exams every 11 weeks and papers due 8 of the remaining 9 was the normal pattern. And I hope you have database experience or the database class is gonna kick your tail....it certainly did mine.
    Yeah that's about what I was doing with my Bachelor program, pretty much an exam every 2-4 weeks though the exams were certification exams. Only database experience I have is the CIW database cert which is worthless honestly and all the SQLi shit i've done on my own time lol.

#3. You don't need a masters to adjunct, hell don't even need a bachelors... (I was an adjunct professor at my university well still being an undergraduate), adjuncting in tech is particularly easy because the demand for adjuncts far outstrips the supply...mainly because the pay is shit compared to practically anything else(just starting an open source project and not working for a semester will earn you more money long-term than the time wasted adjuncting). Even if you're doing it to supplement a full time job, eh...
    I enjoyed teaching when I did for for K-12 when it was more towards the 11-12th grade bracket and when I tutored at a college level it was fun. I know it doesn't pay well but it's just a personal thing. Also didn't know you didn't need a masters for doing that. The local college here I thought required it, i'll have to check.

If you routinely visit network security websites, attend conferences, or maintain your own network we would like to talk to you! If you're a "gamer", enjoy watching "The Big Bang Theory", love the Black Hat Briefings and Capture the Flag events, then you need to talk to us
    What if I hate the Big Bang Theory? :O

Thanks for info so far.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Meresg

What if I hate the Big Bang Theory? :O
    Then you have taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    I enjoyed teaching when I did for for K-12 when it was more towards the 11-12th grade bracket and when I tutored at a college level it was fun. I know it doesn't pay well but it's just a personal thing. Also didn't know you didn't need a masters for doing that. The local college here I thought required it, i'll have to check.
    It's a policy set by individual schools, there's no universal "rule" and even when there are, most schools tend to be pretty loose with the rules when it comes to positions they have real trouble filling(like tech). So just ask, you might be surprised.

So found out today my employer won't pay anything for my masters degree at all since it's a government contract. Their policy for non contract workers sucks horrible dick too. They require a 4.0 (not a huge deal), 5yrs working for them, you pay back 1yr per (x)credits paid for (couldn't get a concrete number on this yet). You have to be in the top tier bracket of employees (aka performance evaluation has to be top score and not average for 2 yrs straight).

Then they will pay you back $6k per year, after you pay it up front and pass with a 4.0 and maintain top scores in company reviews. Also if it in ANY way doesn't apply to your job (aka i'm a system admin, if I take security courses they wont pay for them even though it's IT) they won't pay. Some employees told me they didn't even pay for their classes when it was almost 100% job related.

fun fun

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

makes me appreciate my company a lot more. they pay for anything that could possibly be used within the company in any way. so your art history major not so much, but if you're in customer service and taking IT classes they're fine with that.

Yeah, I dont understand it since my company contracts with the government, one of the few entities that looks for degrees when it comes to IT. It would lead to far more wins on contracts if employees had their masters+certs+years of experience. I know a lot of the private sector don't give a shit about degrees and just want work experience, because honestly a degree is just paper unless you can prove you know your shit.