1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 14 hours, 20 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 9 hours, 39 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 7 hours, 20 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 5 days, 2 hours, 39 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast
    D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

new player general thoughts/questions

It's not a "problem" for you or I per se. It may be when the balance team sits down and maths stuff out and the potential for ninja in dungeons is this dps or that versus what they consider where aoe dps ought to be for say smn or blm. For all we know that doesn't matter to them cuz they instead put in a hard cap of 8 mobs or whatever that a spell can hit and that is just one of their arbitrary rules to limit dps overall.

The effect of Kassatsu-Doton on "balance" is so absurdly tiny that even bringing it up is laughable.

"Oh shit NIN can get an whole extra 120 DoT potency every 2 mins on trash pulls, SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING"

That's a free Death Blossom every 2 mins, oh dear!

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

And yet it's probably considered. As you said earlier a ground dot and an initial hit can't be compared so directly. Each is one gcd that plays out immediately and one isn't. That's a "balance" consideration for sure.

When I said they can't be compared I was referring to how they function mechanically.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Whats best parser to use? ive heard theres a couple.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Taruto Shippuden
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Nem0 View Post
    Whats best parser to use? ive heard theres a couple.
    ACT, short for Advanced Combat Tracker.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Taruto Shippuden
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

double

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tekni Wintersbane
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Mok'Nathal

If i am i90, and without expansion. How long would it take to get up to current max While being hated on the entire time because im only i90 and cant do anything even close to current after buying the expansion?

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Expansion (and old MSQ) literally gives you gear.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tekni Wintersbane
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Mok'Nathal

So... how long would it take? I think in MSQ i was just past ramuh for pre expansion.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Teknique View Post
    So... how long would it take? I think in MSQ i was just past ramuh for pre expansion.
    Ramuh was 2.3 update, so around 50 MSQs to reach the end of 2.55 I'd figure. Roughly around 8 hours of strictly MSQ progression if you take your time and read/watch the CS. Probably half that if you skip everything, but where's the fun in that given the expansion carries off right at the end of 2.55.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tanaya Makers
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

2.55 will put you at ilvl110, which is better than NQ ilvl115. You can stick with ilvl110 until level 53 when you get access to Sohm Al, but as Seravi said the quests literally give you all the gear you could possibly need to progress.

From where you are to level 60, we're talking about 40-50 hours of playtime.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

If he just do MSQ i would say 10-20h to finish 2.5 (and that also depends on lolDF queue for Ramuh HM and all)

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

take your time bro

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Noob question: What are DPS using for food these days and where do you generally get it? I haven't been using anything up to this point (only lv30), but I'd assume soon I'd be expected to. All the food I do have is MND and PIE food from my SCH.

EDIT: I guess I could specify I'm playing NIN, but I'd like to know the STR food MNK/DRGs generally use as well.

At your level I would just eat the cheapest food you can find, for the exp bonus.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by octopus View Post
    At your level I would just eat the cheapest food you can find, for the exp bonus.
    Right. I was more just trying to plan ahead so that when I start doing anything that actually matters I have some clue of what to bring along.

Guess I could always check the MB for food stats and such, but thought there may be a readily available food from an NPC or something that people usually scalp for more money on the MB.

Generally you only need good food for progression, whatever it may be. You'll get a lot of food rewards from the story and quests in HW too.

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    EDIT: I guess I could specify I'm playing NIN, but I'd like to know the STR food MNK/DRGs generally use as well.
    To specifically answer this part of your question, Food buffs don't actually provide any main stat (beyond VIT). Those are relegated to Stat Potions which are basically consumable buffs akin to Blood for Blood and Berserk. Food is really only used for meeting HP and Accuracy checks and beyond that you could maybe get a 1-2 DPS increase from Crit or Determination.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    No food adds primary stats (STR/DEX/INT/MND), all combat food adds VIT and 2 other secondary stats. Using food is essentially like wearing a VIT accessory with varying secondary stats.

It's basically divided up into a few general groups:

Tank food (breads): has more VIT than other foods, has parry

General DPS food: any combination of Acc/Det/Crit
    ->Physical DPS food (meat): same but with skill speed
    ->Magical DPS food (cakes/sweets): same but with spell speed

Healer food (coffee/tea): has PIE + spell speed or Det