1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 17 hours, 2 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 6 hours, 57 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 10 hours, 2 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 5 days, 23 hours, 57 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
    Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

i mean logged into gw client. just installed it a bit ago so dunno if i actually gotta log in using the in-game chat everytime is what i mean.

but thanks, yeah i added some similar stuff and it's been awesome so far

Just type /gw settings while in game and it opens the settings in your browser.

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

You login the first time you use it but after that it remembers who you are

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean.

You can't receive tells to filter if you aren't logged in to receive the tell. <_>

Someone posted a big list of filters in the complaint thread a while back but

000 K

....just those 2 have stopped all of them for me.
    I just /busy, but I also don't have any friends lol. this might be more useful...

also, I still daily roulette, just for tomestones now. IT NEVER ENDS. I wish XP could be traded in for tomestones. 10k/1 soldiery would be fair, I think. that would even out to around one level's worth of XP for one piece of gear, give or take. and of course, events wherein tomestones take the place of XP (such as duty roulette) wouldn't count.

taking a break from MSQ and just enjoying the slow grind toward better gear. no pressure whatsoever is a nice way to play this game at times. I can't wait to get that circlet. so tired of scholar AF hat. it's just... just so ugly...

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

got my daystar circlet! it's... almost as ugly as the SCH hat. but not quite. plus stats, so yay.

so... progression questions:

1) looks like all the hard dungeons are locked behind MSQ completion? is that right? I wanted to take some time off from MSQ, but it looks like I can't even begin the majority of endgame content without it.
    2) how do you manage drops vs. tomestones when it comes to gear? like... I don't want to spend all my tomestones on some shiny new robe only to have a better one drop later. some of it's pretty clear - a piece of gear that focuses on spell speed is one I can easily ignore - but when the pieces have similar stats, I get nervous buying the soldiery version. do you just buy what you need as the tomestones come and hope you don't get drops that are basically redundant?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

1) I don't actually know. Most of the hard dungeons are unlocked via simple "Talk to a guy in Mor Dhona, go somewhere, dungeon unlocked." I don't see why that would be locked behind MSQ progress (though most of the ones not ending with the word (Hard) are, since they're directly related to the story). If they are locked, it's not locked behind the entire MSQ completion, just certain points of MSQ progress. Unless you haven't done Praetorium yet? If you haven't, you should really at least finish that much.

2) The only place where you're going to have better gear drop is World of Darkness [i120] (and Final Coil [i130], but you're definitely not there). Everything else that drops is effectively the same or worse than the gear that can be bought with soldiery tomes [i100, upgradeable to i110]. The current hardest "Hard" dungeons drop i100 stuff. Soldiery is pretty easy to come by and has no cap, so I wouldn't put too much thought into it. If you are running World of Darkness for gear and are afraid of wasted drops though, you could buy accessories, since WoD only drops left-side* gear. That said, left-side gear upgrades are far more impactful than accessory upgrades.

As far as poetics gear goes though, just pick whatever looks best (either stat or appearance-wise). Nothing drops better gear except Final Coil. If you're looking for advice on what order to spend your poetics, however, I'd suggest starting with left-side gear. Beyond that, idk I'm no healer.

*Left side of the character sheet; weapon, armor, and belt (i.e. not accessories)

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

The only dungeons gated behind MSQ should be Snowcloak and Keeper of the Lake. The rest simply required you to complete the 2.0 Main Scenario and complete the quest "The Ultimate Weapon" (i.e. cleared the Praetorium), which like Raldo said there's 0 reason for you not to do that much. It's like 30 minutes and ~120 soldiery tomes for your first time.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Ah, that's what I meant, the 2.0 quests. looks like it shouldn't take too horribly long to finish that from Lady of the Vortex where I left off. thanks, that's what I was asking.

looks like that's also the path to unlocking my relic, so I guess it's 2.0 MSQ for me... bleh. thank god these quests aren't pointlessly boring fetchfests with unnecessarily long "interaction" timers and constant back-and-forth travel in a blatant attempt to lengthen the game in the most painful way possible.

Spoiler: show
    ohwait

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kirby Prime
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Could be worse, you don't need to wait for JP midnight.

I made this post in the BRD thread a few days ago but just replace any reference to BRD with [your job of choice]

Soldiery has no weekly cap, the gear it buys is i100 and can be upgraded to i110 with sands/oils of time.

Poetics has a 450 weekly cap, the gear it buys is i120 and upgrades to 130 with carbontwine/carboncoat.

I'd recommend starting the CT quests asap, run CT till you have enough gear to meet the ilvl req for ST, run ST till you meet the ilvl req for WoD, then run WoD for gear and tomes.

Dungeons are pretty unnecessary, CT/ST/WoD all give both kinds of tomes and WoD drops the highest ilvl gear outside of coil (120, can't be upgraded).

Can worry about dungeons later, ride the CT-ST-WoD train, make sure you do the weekly quest in rev toll after you finish WoD and cap your weekly poetics before reset.

Get an unidentified tomestone from ST and save up 1300 soldiery to buy a Rosenbogen (i100 bow) and use a sand from ST to upgrade it to 110, that'll hold you till you figure out what else you wanna do.

No reason to worry about the MSQ or dungeons really, they're just a way to farm tomes but the gear they drop isn't useful.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

So I learned that unlike FFXI animations, FFXIV's battle effects from spells and JA are linked directly to their animations. In FFXI the second the animation starts, the server has already calculated and displayed the damage(as shown by the mob's HP bar dropping the second your WS animation begins). My question is, in FFXIV, if I have 2 seconds left on Heavy Thrust's duration and initiate Full Thrust, will Full Thrust gain the benefit as long as the ability is STARTED before Heavy Thrust wears off? Reason I ask is because animations like Full Thrust take a good 2-2.5 seconds(charge up, then crouching down, then the shoryuken) and like 50-60% of the time I'm going through my rotation and get to start my TT-VT-FT rotation with 7s on Heavy Thrust, and by the time I finish VT, I have 3-4 seconds to hit FT(-2 from GCD) so I'm wondering if my Full Thrusts in those cases are not recieving HT's buff?

Also, I just dinged 50 yesterday and my friend bequeathed to me a whole set of 110 Wootz gear and a Wootz Spear, and I melded a bunch of IV Skill Speed materia on it(I have 50 ARM). Since I have mostly 110 gear now from that, can I bypass the whole grind for i70-100 gear/sands and oils of time/soldiery gear and just focus on poetics stuff? Also seems like Wootz Lance will hold me over for a very long time until I start/get Gae Bolg up past 110, which could be a while I think(haven't gotten up to Praetorium yet) so I guess I won't need to bother with Liberator?

You should be able to tell by the resulting damage but generally speaking if you initiate an action with a given buff/debuff active it will most likely receive the effect.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

that post was very helpful. thank you!

so many gear options and yet they're all so similar... I miss XI where different pieces of gear actually did different things and picking between them involved more than "which has bigger stats."

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

You should be able to tell by the resulting damage but generally speaking if you initiate an action with a given buff/debuff active it will most likely receive the effect.
    Even though the animation starts with the buff active, the hit, the on-screen damage number, and the mob's HP bar moving all don't occur until a second after the buff drops off?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Ophannus View Post
    if I have 2 seconds left on Heavy Thrust's duration
    It's also worth mentioning that if the buff icon says 2, it actually means between 2 and 3 seconds. This is why your protects always read as 29m right after casting, etc. During the 0~1s period, the buff actually shows no number on it at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophannus View Post
    Even though the animation starts with the buff active, the hit, the on-screen damage number, and the mob's HP bar moving all don't occur until a second after the buff drops off?
    Yes. A somewhat analogous example would be doing a directional ability while moving. It cares where you were when you triggered the ability, not where you were when you finished the animation.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

I made this post in the BRD thread a few days ago but just replace any reference to BRD with [your job of choice]
    Adding onto this. In the last patch you can now get the item needed for a Magitek (120?) weapon from the weekly raid quest. Just something to throw out since unless you get a fully upgraded relic or do coil, that'll probably be your best weapon even before you augment it to it's 130 variant.

You'll also need 1300 poetic tomestones, so best to save up for your magitek weapon before you get any ironworks equipment.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

yeah I was looking at that. basically the poetics version of the soldiery weapon, but far better. that's probably the first thing I'll spend poetics on.

poetics are so slow though... sigh.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

They're not too bad once you're better geared. Hullbreaker Isle spam is good for getting them capped, though can burn the hell out of you too.

But IIRC general idea for gear priority is weapon > left side > right side. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    It's also worth mentioning that if the buff icon says 2, it actually means between 2 and 3 seconds. This is why your protects always read as 29m right after casting, etc. During the 0~1s period, the buff actually shows no number on it at all.

Yes. A somewhat analogous example would be doing a directional ability while moving. It cares where you were when you triggered the ability, not where you were when you finished the animation.
    Ehhhh sometimes I'll strafe around the mob when solo to try to get a flank heavy thrust and it never works even though I'm deep on their side and almost near their rear when activating...

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Skai Aetheris
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

As of 2.55, for gear priority, I would say:

1. CT/ST/WoD weekly for Encrypted Tomestone.
    2. Get a poetics weapon with the tomestone. (1300 poetics)
    3. Spam WoD for i120 left side gear.
    4. CT/ST/WoD weekly for Carbontwine and upgrade your poetics weapon.
    5. Use poetics for right side gear. (1500 poetics total)
    6. CT/ST/WoD weekly for Carboncoat and upgrade your poetics right side gear.
    7. Use poetics for left side gear. (3650 poetics total)
    8. CT/ST/WoD weekly for Carbontwine and upgrade your poetics left side gear.
    9. Use soldiery to upgrade anything below i100 along the way if you want.

This is how I would gear up my alt. Of course you can change the order as you see fit, such as putting more emphasis on left side poetics before right side poetics.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast