+ Reply to Thread

Patch Windows because lol windows.

http://breakingmalware.com/vulnerabi...ng-single-bit/

http://blogs.technet.com/b/srd/archi...up-policy.aspx

Patches should have went out yesterday. Though keep an eye out because one of the patches apparently just stalls out and won't let you cancel the install.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I wonder if this is why I've been having issues with my latest install. I tried three different hard drives, ran memtest, /scannow, etc and have had an insanely difficult time getting every update installed with W7 professional. Tried W7 Ultimate but the most updates I actually downloaded was around 30/162. Re-installed W7 literally 6 times and finally have been able to download all updates, although last update I only got 4/17 and had to run it again. And there was the specific update that was harming those with AMD gpus, although Nvidia users reported issues as well.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Glad I still use XP!

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

Had some issues yesterday when the sys (win 7 - 32 bit) hanged whilst tryan to install 1 update out of like 16. Today the same, but after tinkering around everything installed and is back to normal

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Dear god.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS15-010

XP is probably affected too, but it's already end of life. The oldest listed was server 2003, which XP shares stuff in common with. Pretty much anything with win32k.sys is affected. There's some things you can do to help with it though, listed in the technet bulletin.

Quote Originally Posted by SephYuyX View Post
    Glad I still use XP!
    Probably not safe

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Sarcasim, i'm sure it's much worse. But idc.

Quote Originally Posted by SephYuyX View Post
    Sarcasim, i'm sure it's much worse. But idc.
    At least with windows xp you dont have to worry about patches breaking it ^_^;;

Just load up a VM on there and use linux!

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Patches even wen out for XP as well.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jefe View Post
    Had some issues yesterday when the sys (win 7 - 32 bit) hanged whilst tryan to install 1 update out of like 16. Today the same, but after tinkering around everything installed and is back to normal
    I've noticed when I have failed updates if I download the individual update it usually goes through. Pain in the butt, but at least it works.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

So glad I have a 1.5 week wait policy on wsus ><

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    I've noticed when I have failed updates if I download the individual update it usually goes through. Pain in the butt, but at least it works.
    My laptop had an issue where it couldn't update, it would fail on every update and I had to go in and fucking choose 1 single update, and hope it worked. Once that worked it let me access a new list!...and failed on all of them except 1. Was like a goddamn puzzle.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

I find it hysterical that changing one bit is enough to hack Windows. I installed those updates the other day before I saw this but didn't have a problem.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I like how in the end the exploit is still simply a buffer overflow exploit. I think simply saying "changing one bit is enough to hack Windows" is a bit too much of a simplification, though I guess as a title to catch attention it serves its purpose. All in all, it was the code that can write to a pointer that was freed that opened the door. The manipulation they used to work that into a buffer overflow must have taken some intense dedication to figure out, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    I find it hysterical that changing one bit is enough to hack Windows. I installed those updates the other day before I saw this but didn't have a problem.
    That's what happens when you let the fucking kernel manage EVERYTHING.

I like how in the end the exploit is still simply a buffer overflow exploit. I think simply saying "changing one bit is enough to hack Windows" is a bit too much of a simplification
    It's more then just a simple buffer overflow I think, as it bypasses EVERY restriction and check that are meant to stop you from messing with addresses and pointers in that way.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

In the end, it boils down to a buffer overflow exploit. What they did to achieve that is decently complicated (much more complicated that simply changing one bit), but it's only once they achieve that that they are able to truly exploit stuff. Most likely they jump to malicious code instructions with kernel-level permissions.