• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread

Subsystems for Unix Windows 7 64bit Ultimate. Need help finding bash

So figuring out an issue at work with SUA, for whatever reason if you open up any of the shells you can run some of the binaries under /bin and /sbin but others won't work and result in a windows event error of 0xc0000005 which is a memory access violation.

These binaries that don't run are vi, less, more and a few others. All of them dumping out file contents which leads me to believe that they are trying to access memory to read these files and Windows is slapping it down and killing the application.

Testing it at home right but now I can't find the install for bash shell + utilities for SUA. I've looked all over and most SUA communites are 100% dead since 2007. This program is a piece of shit...no idea why we are not using cygwin. :\

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

First of all let me preface this post with a disclaimer that I have no experience with SUA and never tried to use it; this is just some guesswork on my part.

Does SUA include compatibility for POSIX (or POSIX.2) if so do you have it enabled?

Unfortunately, getting people who are stuck in old-fashioned ways to convert to newer (better) methods is a battle that never ends in the computer science/programming industries. You generally have to wait for something that breaks enough such that the time investment to fix it is less than upgrading the current system.

I believe SUA comes pre-config'd for POSIX compatibility. There's the service/feature you enable and then a program you actually install. I got the bash utilities, they are from the site I thought they were which does not exist, people installing it probably pulled it down 3yrs+ ago and just saved it somewhere...which is why it could be fucking broken.

Anyways, I did a full install of SUA/Bash utils and it all works fine. I think the other people fucked up the install somewhere or broke something, since even cloning the VM keeps the functioning of SUA intact.

I fucking hate this system though, i'd rather use cygwin because it seems to function better, actually lets you fucking uninstall it and the community seems to still be alive. But I work for the government and all decisions are made by idiots.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

eheh your sig is even funnier now :D

lolwindows. I have nothing constructive to add, POSIX support and Unix compatibility is exactly the area where windows falls on its face and is useless.