BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Katagai Mitsuaki
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

FFXIV 90002 Error Plaguing Me

Ever since sometime monday morning/afternoon, I can no longer play FFXIV without experiencing this stupid 90002 error every 5-10 minutes. As far I understand, the 90002 error means that the disconnection is due to the client dropping the connection.

• I've installed Wireshark, Nmap, and Pingplotter, and according to all the results, I can ping and traceroute the server perfectly fine.
    • I've restarted my router, power cycled it, I've even unplugged it for 1 hour periods and have had its IP address reset three times.
    • I've made sure to forward the ports required (52926-55551 I believe), though I've played the game perfectly fine for the past year and half without ever having to do this.
    • I even spent $10 on a month of WTFast thinking it might be an issue with how my connection is being routed. I still get disconnected regardless of what WTFast server I'm connecting to (I've tried directly to the Montreal servers, I've also tried chaining the Tampa server to the Montreal one to no avail)

I'm honestly at my wits end and don't understand why this stupid error came out of nowhere when I've had next to zero lag for the past two weeks. And if I ever had trouble connecting to the servers, it was never this bad and usually went away after a few weeks.

I didn't save any previous tracert logs, but here is what mine looks like right now:
    tracert 199.91.189.44

Tracing route to 199.91.189.44 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
    2 5 ms 5 ms 5 ms L100.TAMPFL-VFTTP-134.verizon-gni.net [96.254.11
    1.1]
    3 16 ms 6 ms 8 ms G0-9-2-3.TAMPFL-LCR-22.verizon-gni.net [130.81.1
    40.60]
    4 * * * Request timed out.
    5 18 ms 17 ms 40 ms 0.xe-1-1-1.XT2.ATL4.ALTER.NET [140.222.225.71]
    6 33 ms 34 ms 32 ms 0.ae2.XL2.IAD8.ALTER.NET [140.222.226.155]
    7 34 ms 33 ms 34 ms 0.xe-11-1-0.GW9.IAD8.ALTER.NET [152.63.35.117]
    8 32 ms 33 ms 32 ms tinet-gw.customer.alter.net [152.179.50.30]
    9 47 ms 46 ms 46 ms xe-9-0-0.mtl10.ip4.gtt.net [141.136.105.162]
    10 47 ms 48 ms 48 ms ormuco-gw.ip4.gtt.net [216.221.156.110]
    11 46 ms 46 ms 48 ms 192.34.76.2
    12 46 ms 46 ms 46 ms 199.91.189.234
    13 46 ms 48 ms 48 ms 199.91.189.44

Trace complete.
    This is WTFast's tracert data graph taken while I was playing (I was connected to WTFast's Montreal servers at the time):
    During that time, I experienced constant severe lag spikes and only one 90002 error.

If anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Maybe try a different dns server? Can put that in your router (can try google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, and make a config backup before messing with it). You're getting that timeout before wtfast is getting used for the game. Not sure what else to try.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Are you playing wireless or wired? If wired, do you have the ability to try wireless? If wireless, can you try wired?

I've seen this before, although not for FFXIV. Their network port on their PC was going bad.

Can also try updating your network driver.

You're avoiding the much feared level3 router though, so that's good.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Katagai Mitsuaki
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by orinthia View Post
    Maybe try a different dns server? Can put that in your router (can try google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, and make a config backup before messing with it). You're getting that timeout before wtfast is getting used for the game. Not sure what else to try.
    I've set it to Google's public DNS, doesn't seem to be helping.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Are you playing wireless or wired? If wired, do you have the ability to try wireless? If wireless, can you try wired?

I've seen this before, although not for FFXIV. Their network port on their PC was going bad.

Can also try updating your network driver.

You're avoiding the much feared level3 router though, so that's good.
    I'm having this issue on my PS4 (wired AND wireless) and PC (wired).

Changing the ports on the router the PS4 was connected to gave me like an hour or so of lag free play before giving me the error again.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Have you tried bypassing the router and plugging directly in to the modem?

Also the cable from the router to the modem is suspect too.

Honestly there are only three suspect parts at this point (in order of likelihood):

Router > Modem > Ethernet cable between the two.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Katagai Mitsuaki
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Have you tried bypassing the router and plugging directly in to the modem?

Also the cable from the router to the modem is suspect too.

Honestly there are only three suspect parts at this point (in order of likelihood):

Router > Modem > Ethernet cable between the two.
    My router is actually a Verizon FIOS router/modem combo. The ethernet cable being used by my PC is at least 9 years old and has been working fine. The cable being used by my PS4 however is relatively brand new, I bought it off Amazon just last month.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Verizon will replace the router free of charge if you suspect a problem. You can do it same day if you take it to a Verizon store.

Honestly I'd start there because then you will know all your hardware is okay.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

I get the same issue, but its mainly my ISP being shit. I've had a tech come out and check the line and apparently its "line noise" from "down the line" he says, thats coming from possibly dallas, so he can't do anything except say "good luck with your internet"... >.>

Its pretty annoying but apparently not constant... even web browsing at times will freeze for a second.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Line noise is something that plagues cable and DSL connections, there isn't really anything that can be done to hault noise as it's multiple connections trying to receive a signal, when I had DSL I was plagued with this issue like crazy, in my console I was able to view the noise margine and knew when my connection was going to drop when the noise margin would fall below a certain amount of decibels.

From my experience and knowledge it's mostly DSL that it affects and not so common with cable because of how much data can be processed with coaxial over CAT2, but they use the same means of transferring data with a digital ping 'sound' and when there are collisions they creates the noise that disrupts the connection.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Yeah they aren't 100% sure where the "line noise" is coming from... they are just guessing its somewhere between the service provider near me.. and L3 in dallas >.>

They said they'd switch to L3 in another area.. if it gets too bad, but I don't feel like suffering at the mercy of random line noise, I may have to give them a push again complaining to the FCC (hey it worked last time there was problems!)

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

When they say they'll switch you to another L3 in the area, it's likely they'll just slap you interleaved mode which reduced the intake of the noise but also has a rather noticeable impact on your connection, pretty much add an extra 40-60ms onto your ping for anything gaming related, you may also take a performance hit in speed ;x I've had to go through that wonderful experience so many times with AT&T.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Katagai Mitsuaki
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Replaced the router/modem, no luck. Guess I'm gonna have to complain and see if they do anything about it.

EDIT: I take that back. After getting the 90002 on PS4, I logged on with my PC and didn't get the error anymore, then logged back onto PS4 and no longer get the error anymore. No idea what the hell changed, but it's working (for now).

EDIT 2: And... the error is back. Was error free (but not lag free) for about an hour or two before it disconnected me.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

Getting error 90002 when trying to log in after character select screen. Just started after the patch. Not seeing anyone threads anywhere else with people having this trouble.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

So I decided to figure out what changes I made in the past few days to PC that could have caused this.

I remembered I decided to pay Avast for once instead of using free internet security. It has some new firewall feature built in. I went into it and made sure it gave ffxiv complete freedom the same day i upgraded 3 days ago.

I go to check it today and it has 3 rules for ffxiv.

1. allow txp/ip in
    2. allow tcp/ip out
    3. block all in/out

wtf lol

idk how that got into there today but i got rid of #3 and i can log in

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hadley Brightfoot
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I'm fortunate that I usually do not any connectivity issues and play with relatively low latency. However, there are a couple of scenarios that I've experienced in the past.

1. Unable to stay connected to game (constant 90K). Usually happens when many others (particularly with the same ISP) are also running into the issue across servers. Did similar tests as the OP as well as some of the other suggestions listed above. The only workaround I found in that scenario was to use a VPN service (used Battleping). After several hours, the issue cleared up by itself and I was able to resume playing normally without a VPN.

2. Unable to log in or disconnected almost immediately after logging in. This has happened once and I tried everything I could to resolve the issue. Placed my workstation on DMZ (router), changed DNS (tried OpenDNS and Google), disabled firewalls (both router and on workstation), removed the router altogether and straight into the modem, tried both public dynamic/static IPs issued from ISP, multiple VPN services, etc. Nothing worked. Again, after a few hours the issue cleared up on its own and I was back to playing again normally. Perhaps ISP maintenance?