+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Weird WIFI problem 3ds     submit to reddit submit to twitter

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Weird WIFI problem 3ds

Ok i'll try explain the best I can and please dont' laugh at my MS paint

Ok so imagine the 2 floors are one up another (while the kitchen floor is ontop)

The Red line means (if the word is good in english) a Firewall : Aka a special wall that separate two houses for sound and all that stuff.

Also I have this house since 2013, but started experiencing the problem about 2-3 months ago. (I do not know what's in the wall or between the 2 floors)

Anyway let's try to explain.

My ISP Modem + Router are in the Office room. Internet works everywhere in the house. My problem is my 3ds who randomly disconnect but only in the Living room.

Any room where i'm in I can do internet on my 3ds exept the living room where i diconnect each 30sec-15min (random I know).

I also have an Ipad + Iphone and they never lose the internet in the living room.

When I lose connection on my 3ds sometimes when i go to the home menu it says I have no internet then auto reconnect, or sometimes it seems i never lost internet, but still get disconnected from games.

When I do have internet access I have full bars.

My router is a TP-Link N750 and before that I had a Dlink and still had the problem.

I'm just confused at while only my 3ds has the problem (I now have a New 3ds but I had the same problem with my old 3ds XL)

I know it seems vague, but if you have anything to help me would be appreciated

Signal attenuation affects the 3DS more because it has a weaker antenna, in your diagram the signal is traveling through 4~ walls to get into the living room..

Move the wireless router to the very left side of your bedroom(in your diagram), than the most amount of walls it'd have to travel to any other room is 2-3, as opposed to 4.

Also look at the FCC diagrams for the radiation shape of your router and position it appropriately(wireless devices won't emit spheres, they emit toruses or cones basically).

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Darus Grey View Post
    Signal attenuation affects the 3DS more because it has a weaker antenna, in your diagram the signal is traveling through 4~ walls to get into the living room..

Move the wireless router to the very left side of your bedroom(in your diagram), than the most amount of walls it'd have to travel to any other room is 2-3, as opposed to 4.

Also look at the FCC diagrams for the radiation shape of your router and position it appropriately(wireless devices won't emit spheres, they emit toruses or cones basically).

Problem with moving the WIFI to my bedroom is the Câbles i'd have to pass a cable from my office t

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

well then the great thing that is wireless and can move is the 3ds? =/

BG Level

Well I had and old Wifi extender that I configured on my same WIFI and plugged it in my bedroom, I wonder if that will create some problems

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Looks like your wireless signal simply isn't strong in that section of the house. It's the farthest area from your router, and with it passing through whoknowswhat, it's probably weakened a far bit more than you'd think.

There's a couple things you can do:
    • Reposition the router such that it's closer to the middle of your place so the signal isn't going to its limits in range. Might not be too feasible, but you could stretch a cable around the perimeter of the room and have the router in some corner of the room closer to the living room. May also need a long extension cord for power, which combined can look ugly though...
    • Use a second wireless router or some specific wireless extender to extend the network (wired/wireless). easier to use an old router for this. Can use ethernet over power so there's no cables around, but that's more expensive. Just have it directly above (if over wireless) to minimize interference.
    • If your router has custom firmware options, you can usually up the transmission power. Just look up safe upper limits for the router and test out things.

I have my two routers setup with one main and the other acting like a wired extender with a different ssid. Works well, have the wire hidden in the corners of the walls and ceiling.

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    Well I had and old Wifi extender that I configured on my same WIFI and plugged it in my bedroom, I wonder if that will create some problems
    Shouldn't be an issue unless its home-ip is the same as your other router. Both can't be on the same ip, so you may need to set it otherwise (like your main is 192.168.1.1, your other should be something else).