+ Reply to Thread

Any good home reno gurus out there?

Looking for a safe DIY kit or recommendation of a twin bed canopy set for my daughter. Has anyone done this themselves? Halp!

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

I actually build a fair amount of my own furniture... but when I do it's pure function, so it's all two-by-fours and plywood. I dont even paint them because fuck painting. Use screws, and drill your holes when screwing on/near the edges.

Edit: A bit more specific to your situation: I typically start by doodling the basic design for a while. Getting the general shape right, figuring out what all it needs to accomplish, that sort of thing. Then I start measuring. I measure out what needs to be where etc, and label/re-draw all my sketches. I plan out how long each board needs to be before I even have it. Having gotten it, I plan out what cuts to make on which boards to ensure as little waste as possible. Then I call my Dad to help me make the cuts, because I'm still uncomfortable with the idea of using saws home alone and being unhealthy as I am it's good to have help. At that point, it's just a matter of assembly, like any old Ikea furniture. Except you're the designer so if something doesn't make sense you dun goofed.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    I actually build a fair amount of my own furniture... but when I do it's pure function, so it's all two-by-fours and plywood. I dont even paint them because fuck painting. Use screws, and drill your holes when screwing on/near the edges.
    Dude he doesn't need furniture with poop holes in it.

Mr. Anna Kendrick
    BGs Worst Golde Abuser

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Charles Barkley
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Brill Weave View Post
    Dude he doesn't need furniture with poop holes in it.
    He needs drywall!

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Reposado View Post
    Looking for a safe DIY kit or recommendation of a twin bed canopy set for my daughter. Has anyone done this themselves? Halp!
    1. Take regular twin bed, paint if desired. Buy cheapo spray gun and Acrylic enamel paint from Sherwin Williams will be the best. Its the paint that's used on kitchen cabinets.
    2. Hang round hoop or straight 3/4" curtain rods from the ceiling with brackets depending on which look you want and hang whatever mesh curtains you picked out. Buy the better pack of drywall anchors, forget the cheapies that they include.
    3. ???
    4. Profit.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

bam http://ana-white.com/2013/09/plans/hannah-canopy-bed

definitely search ana-white or reddit/r/diy i'm sure you can find a ton of useful info

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vigilia Dulaurier
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Ana White rules and also Ikeahackers if you just want tips on how to mod existing furniture, if you don't want posts in corners something like this for example is an easy option:
    http://www.ikeahackers.net/2011/10/e...anopy-bed.html