Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    Shootin' rocks at monsters
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Rapid Shot-- Precast or Midcast?

So, I'm kind of new to the RNG scene. I loved COR back in the day, but wasn't doing any gearswapping of that kind of detail... and never really bothered to learn it.

My current LS is insisting that Rapid Shot is something you equip in midcast, while snapshot is precast. From all the testing I've seen, I was under the impression that both were precast.

Is there anyone who can answer this, and/or link me to any testing on it? It's come up several times, and several folks in this LS have parroted it, but I haven't been able to find anything that says Rapid Shot is a mid-cast ability.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ziz Gorlin
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

precast. it's the same thing as quick cast but in ranged form

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Well for activation like anything that effects how long an activation takes it will be precast so it'it's precast or not at all. The only reason I can think why they might advise not in precast is that a human player couldn't switch in time and spellcast couldn't always either. But gearswap definitely can.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

You run from that LS, run like a startled bunny (in any direction without thought of consequences or logic)

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by geno3302 View Post
    You run from that LS, run like a startled bunny (in any direction without thought of consequences or logic)
    Haha, like there are any actually good LS's on Shiva he could change to.

Shootin' rocks at monsters
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by geno3302 View Post
    There are nice folks in it, they're active when I'm active (which is some really odd hours), and there isn't any content in the game right now that we can't clear efficiently and timely. They're helpful with clearing stuff they don't need, and are mostly willing to learn and open to information and new ideas. Several folks are trying really oddball stuff (I was loving Thf/Drg in Incursion before it was made mostly irrelevant), just testing stuff and seeing what works (Shell holder is digging on melee Geo; it works for some stuff). On the whole, I am quite happy with Elysium.

They just swear they've seen testing that it's mid-shot, and I was wondering if I had missed something.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

No. It's been tested as preshot.

Here are the various stages of shooting:
    Preshot - This takes place just before the server is told to perform /ra. This stage is what processes your Snapshot and Rapid Shot values. If a slot has Rapid Shot and Snapshot, Snapshot is almost always preferred, due to it being more predictable and better over time.
    Midshot- This takes place between the time the server is told to use /ra and the time you actually shoot. You equip all other pertinent stats as needed, like Store TP, R.Acc, R.Atk, STR, etc.
    Post Shot - Time after you shoot. Return to you Idle Set ( PDT, MDT, etc.)

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yeah you can check the mathy parts where byrth actually somewhat quantified it even. Just think about it this way how exactly will you make a shot go faster if you equip mid way thru the shot? I mean part of the shot is already over and you can't time travel to change that.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

^^^
    What he said. The best way to think of Ranged Attacks is like its a spell. Your aiming delay is like your casting time. Snapshot gear in this case serves the same purpose as Fast Cast gear, and Rapid Shot gear/traits acting like Quick Cast. Both Snapshot and Rapid Shot need to be included in your preshot macro.