+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chromecast & Dell Monitor     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Road Tinnies
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Chromecast & Dell Monitor

Hey all. First time user of the Chromecast and looking to get some help if possible. I did a little bit of research beforehand and seen that some other people have used the Chromecast with other Dell monitors and using a DP port to HDMI adapter.

Adapter Purchased - http://www.cablematters.com/pc-32-33...e-adapter.aspx

I have the CC plugged in via the USB adapter to the power outlet on the wall. Basically im left with the CC and a blinking white light and the Monitor not picking up the CC itself. There is no connection being made when selecting the DP option. Monitor just enters sleep mode.

I can connect to the chromecast via app on an android phone and commence the setup but once i get to the part where it asks me for the code on screen i cannot proceed.

Anyone used theirs in a similar fashion before?

And they're spectacular!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

That cable is capable of taking a DP source output and converting it to HDMI output. What you're trying to do is the reverse - you have an HDMI source output, and attempting to convert it to a DP output, which is not what what cable is designed for. For that, you'll need an active HDMI -> DP adapter, like this one, which can get pretty pricey. What's the model of the Dell monitor that you're using, and what do you currently have hooked up to it?

Road Tinnies

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Cheers for the response. Im terrible with these output signals etc but i thought it was the case of just using a simple DP > HDMI adapter.

Its just on its own. Had a spare 24" monitor and wanted to set it up in the bedroom so the wife could watch netflix and use the chromecast. I guess it would just be as cheap to buy a 24" HDTV for the room as they seem to be floating around the $100-140 mark and that converter u mentioned is nearly the same price.

And they're spectacular!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Might still be able to make it work with what you have, or at least a cheap solution that doesn't require an active adapter or a brand new display. Really depends on what the monitor has for inputs/outputs/audio capabilities. Does it have built-in speakers? A headphone jack? Can it process audio from DP? Does it have a stand-alone HDMI port? Or if you have the model # handy that will make this a bit easier.

Road Tinnies

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Yea was just thinking other outputs may be an option but wasnt sure of their compatability with HDMI. It doesnt have any Audio Jack but it does have a USB Soundbar that can be used for Audio which is what i was going to buy. That is called the AX510.

Monitor Model: Dell UltraSharp U2412M

DISPLAY

Diagonal Viewable Size:
    24" (60.96 cm) viewable area
    Aspect Ratio
    Widescreen (16:10)
    Panel Type, Surface:
    IPS (In-Plane Switching), anti glare with hard coat 3H
    Optimal Resolution:
    1920 x 1200 at 60 Hz
    Contrast Ratio:
    1000 : 1 (typical)
    2,000,000:1 (dynamic)
    Dynamic Contrast Ratio:
    2 million:1 (Max)
    Brightness:
    300 cd/m2 (typical)
    Response Time:
    8ms (gray to gray) Typical
    Max Viewing Angle (vertical/horizontal)
    178º / 178º
    Color Support:
    16.7 million colors
    Color Gamut
    82% (CIE 1976)
    Pixel Pitch:
    0.27 mm
    Device Type
    Widescreen Flat Panel Display

CONNECTIVITY

1 Digital Visual Interface connectors (DVI-D) with HDCP
    1 DisplayPort(DP)
    1 Video Graphics Array (VGA)
    1 USB 2.0 upstream port
    4 USB 2.0 downstream ports
    DC power connector for Dell Soundbar

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/prod...1&sku=320-2676

Thanks for the help.

And they're spectacular!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Looks like that monitor has no sound processing capabilities at all, and that USB sound bar you mentioned would be worthless to you. Sadly, I think your best option is going to be like you said - a cheap TV with HDMI input and its own buiilt-in speakers (or at least some sort of external output that's capable of routing the HDMI audio to it).

Road Tinnies

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Even with the USB soundbar option it would be no good even if i get the ChromeCast going?

And they're spectacular!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Right. The USB sound bar is just a basic pair of PC speakers that clips onto the monitor, accepts a regular old 3.5mm stereo input that, and is powered by the USB ports of the monitor. The monitor itself has no way of passing any audio from the DP input out to the speakers.