+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A few Minecraft questions     submit to reddit submit to twitter

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

A few Minecraft questions

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me out. The 7th grade students had to do a group project over the past two months and had a couple of options on how to do it. One was to make a minecraft world (starting with a flat world) with some of the areas from the book they read. I already got to see one today and it made me rather excited over the work these kids put in.

Anyway, I am not TOO knowledgeable about some of the stuff involving the game. I am relying on my hubby and some peeps to help me out, but they are all at work atm.

We are currently having some drama with one group over it. It's a group of three but two of the kids in the group constantly fight all the time (can't figure out WHY they decided to group together since they could pick, but whatever). Their book was Animal Farm, and I guess one kid spent ages building this crazy farm layout with a windmill n' shit. Then he let the other two groupmates work on his computer to build, and when he went back to the game later on it was set to survival mode and all the animals were dead.

Now, this is the story he told his teacher (he is not my student, but the other teacher is relying on me for all the minecraft stuff), and I am not sure how the game works involving animals. Does survival mode even effect them or just the pc? What happens if they are slaughtered? How much time does it take to put them back? We suspect that either the other groupmate tried to mess things up, or the kid is fudging the truth to get some pity. There was some big drama over some iMessages they had going back and forth during class today over it. So we definitely want to try and get this settled.

Also, as a general note for my own benefit: What (if any) are the differences in the create-a-world for the pc vs. mac vs. iPad vs. console? I have only had experience with the pc version.

I may end up asking more questions as projects come in if I run into issues I am not sure of.

Thanks in advance!

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ardreul Galawen
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Minecraft*

Edit: Now I wish I could delete this post cause I have nothing useful to add.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Edited Mindcraft/minecraft, thanks char. ;_;

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Ardrial View Post
    Minecraft*

Edit: Now I wish I could delete this post cause I have nothing useful to add.
    /sigh

sorry, I know people won't believe me but it's hard to think when you are tired and got two kids crawling all over you.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

assuming he built it in creative mode you can replace animals in a matter of seconds (a bit longer if they all had names, but still talking a few minutes at most)
    also wouldn't have to be in survival mode to kill them, afaik you can still punch animals in creative

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

If you are looking for easy to add modpack feed the beast has an easy to use client that downloads and installs quite a few different flavors, or all of them if you want. You can still use all that mod stuff in creative mode as well

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    assuming he built it in creative mode you can replace animals in a matter of seconds (a bit longer if they all had names, but still talking a few minutes at most)
    also wouldn't have to be in survival mode to kill them, afaik you can still punch animals in creative
    Building on this -

You can flip a world between Survival and Creative at any time with an admin command (/gamemode creative, /gamemode survival). Creative takes most of the interface away and basically just gives you access to all the blocks and lets you arrange them as you see fit. Passive mobs (IE - the farm animals) can be added through the use of spawn eggs, which are also infinitely available in Creative.

In Creative, players can fly, in Survival they cannot.

Survival turns on the inventory/crafting interfaces and adds the hunger bar. Monsters can spawn in either mode, but in Creative they are passive and don't attack anyone. All mobs can be killed in Creative by the player, and in Survival the hostile mobs can attack/kill non-hostile mobs.

As far as the platform differences, for the purposes of this particular activity, all the platforms are identical. The iPad version and 360 version are not Internet-multiplayer capable, so anything done on those devices is rooted to that device.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me out. The 7th grade students had to do a group project over the past two months and had a couple of options on how to do it. One was to make a minecraft world (starting with a flat world) with some of the areas from the book they read. I already got to see one today and it made me rather excited over the work these kids put in.

Anyway, I am not TOO knowledgeable about some of the stuff involving the game. I am relying on my hubby and some peeps to help me out, but they are all at work atm.

We are currently having some drama with one group over it. It's a group of three but two of the kids in the group constantly fight all the time (can't figure out WHY they decided to group together since they could pick, but whatever). Their book was Animal Farm, and I guess one kid spent ages building this crazy farm layout with a windmill n' shit. Then he let the other two groupmates work on his computer to build, and when he went back to the game later on it was set to survival mode and all the animals were dead.

Now, this is the story he told his teacher (he is not my student, but the other teacher is relying on me for all the minecraft stuff), and I am not sure how the game works involving animals. Does survival mode even effect them or just the pc? What happens if they are slaughtered? How much time does it take to put them back? We suspect that either the other groupmate tried to mess things up, or the kid is fudging the truth to get some pity. There was some big drama over some iMessages they had going back and forth during class today over it. So we definitely want to try and get this settled.

Also, as a general note for my own benefit: What (if any) are the differences in the create-a-world for the pc vs. mac vs. iPad vs. console? I have only had experience with the pc version.

I may end up asking more questions as projects come in if I run into issues I am not sure of.

Thanks in advance!
    Kids project should be done in creative with no mobs. Animals are easy to get back (in creative) you just have to use that animals egg as an item to make another one appear. Like a cow egg used would produce a cow at the spot it was thrown at.

As far as i know, monsters don't even attack animals in survival, unless you're playing better than wolves total conversion. They mentioned a windmill, which BTW mod has, and it even spins... if they installed that mod, zombies are designed to attack all animals in survival as a way to pressure the player's food supplies. (food actually matters in that mod.) spiders will also attack chickens, and squids will wrap their tentacley hands around anything that comes near them at night also. just mentioning since you said they had a windmill, which i'm not sure if it's made of blocks and is static or is an actual windmill. (as far as i know vanilla game doesn't have a working windmill.)

i'm not sure if vanilla game animals despawn anymore. they used to, but i'm not sure about recent updates, as i haven't played vanilla in forever.

as far as mods go though, FTB is probably good if you want tons of decorative options, although better than wolves has a lot of options as well. that mod doesn't play with other mods though, and there's plenty of mods that can have conflicts in IDs or code. if your students are using mods to make their worlds however, be careful when loading them. if you load a world without the appropriate mods installed, then when the game tries to load modded blocks, it goes "wtf is block.windmill? screw this crap, /ignore" and suddenly all modded blocks are entirely gone and your students world is ruined. I suggest making sure to load copies of said world and leave the originals alone, just in case something goes wrong, haha.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Wow thats crazy that it actually modifies the world file and removes blocks it can't finds mods for. Did not know that. Good lookin out.

Well, i'm not entirely sure it's still the case, what with the change to the launcher, but it definetly used to be the case. i haven't played vanilla minecraft in forever since better than wolves was vastly superior survival experience to vanilla, so i'm not sure if they ever got around to changing that. That's because BTW is permanantly on 1.5.2 because the creator was annoyed at all the "fluff" and unbalanced updates that kept coming out, causing him to spend days or weeks ripping out code for little to no gain. the allagators er... i mean horses and their highly detailed appearances and total superiority over minecarts was the last wheat bundle though. I haven't bothered following vanilla updates much after that.