View Poll Results: What color combo is this dress?

Voters
147. You may not vote on this poll
  • White/gold

83 56.46%
  • Blue/black

64 43.54%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Both of those look white+gold to me lol

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Same lol. Left one gets slightly blue, but only slightly.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Aquamarine

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    Same lol. Left one gets slightly blue, but only slightly.
    I get that too, but purely because of the lighting rather then the actual material of the dress

In the white/gold camp where if it isn't, it's a direct result of the camera or some kind of photo manipulation.

As for that FB comparison, if you're gonna do blue/black, actually do blue/black and not black/gold. >.>

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

The color that's either white or blue, if picked off of the image with photoshop or another color picker is the color #97A1BC or:

When standing alone.

This is infact actually nowhere close to white on the color spectrum:

So in summary, it is in fact a blue dress with a brownish alternate color. The light and perhaps your eyes unique attunement to colors affect perception, but the computer says it's blue, so I'm going with blue.

For what it's worth, I see blue too.

I see it as blue and black. That's weird that it is such a stark difference in the colour people see. Cool too though.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

That write up on wired was good.

I'm very used to optical illusions such as this and even knowing my bias I still can't get to blue and black. Guess my sunny fucking disposition is keeping me on the bright side of life.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Minerva Kissaki
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

okay.. what the fuck.. the first time i looked @ it was white/gold... i alt tabbed to XIV for a sec.. alt tabbed back to firefox.. shit was black/blue... my heart skipped a beat fuck yall im out

it seems if i look off screen and let my eyes adjust to something further away.. its gets darker when i look back @ the screen..

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I deactivated my facebook account to avoid stuff like this and now all I see on Twitter is this dress and something about llamas

Quote Originally Posted by shidobu View Post
    okay.. what the fuck.. the first time i looked @ it was white/gold... i alt tabbed to XIV for a sec.. alt tabbed back to firefox.. shit was black/blue... my heart skipped a beat fuck yall im out

it seems if i look off screen and let my eyes adjust to something further away.. its gets darker when i look back @ the screen..
    Funnily enough, changed for me, too. Kind of seems reminiscent of those paired images where they ask you to stare at one block for like 15s, then quickly look to other, and as a result you see a ghost of another image.

Still 100% blaming the camera for the confusion, though.

Edit: And now it's white/gold again. FU BRAIN!

Tekki's Bitch
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Stupid thread, mod abuse, fuck bitches, get blind fucks.

FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

BG Level

White and gold. Been on this topic in my group of friends Whatsapp chat for a couple hours now haha. Only one in the group can see the blue/black colours.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tymon View Post
    The color that's either white or blue, if picked off of the image with photoshop or another color picker is the color #97A1BC or:

When standing alone.

This is infact actually nowhere close to white on the color spectrum:

So in summary, it is in fact a blue dress with a brownish alternate color. The light and perhaps your eyes unique attunement to colors affect perception, but the computer says it's blue, so I'm going with blue.

For what it's worth, I see blue too.
    It's a blue color when extracted on its own, yes, but the eye is an interpretive organ when combined with life experiences and our memories. Case in point, white clothing when in shade is effectively this shade of blue, but our brain automatically says "That's White (In the shade)!" not "That's Blue!".

Case in point, using MS Paint the left side of this guys shirt (his right) extracts as white, but his left shoulder will extract as a light blue (depending on the pixel you check)
    http://www.incense-man.co.uk/T-shirt...of_pale350.jpg

So I can only see the dress as white (or grey really) and I see that man's entire shirt as white.

As for how people see the gold as black, I have no fucking clue. Every pixel I check ranges from gold through brown. Taking into account the same "implied shade" your brain should say "That's Gold (in the shade)" not "That's Brown" or "That's Black".

So yeah, i really feel like Blue/Black people be trollin'

Limecat
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    Blog Entries

I can only see Blue and Black but the GF sees White and Gold.

I was confused as to why this was a thing till she said she sees White Gold. Now it's just funny

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

The people who see black and blue are the ones who never get out into sunlight, therefor their eyes arent accustomed to these kind of hue changes, fucking basement dwellers.

Or do I have that backwards, and I'm the sunlight starved basement dweller?

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I legit feel like I'm being trolled/whooshed but I know I'm not. All I can see in the OP pic is blue/black, I'm able to differentiate the two easily with the comparison pictures Ksan posted though.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    A fb friend posted this:

lol. I am sticking with black and blue and heading to bed. ;; Stayed up too late being completely puzzled by this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fievel View Post
    I legit feel like I'm being trolled/whooshed but I know I'm not. All I can see in the OP pic is blue/black, I'm able to differentiate the two easily with the comparison pictures Ksan posted though.
    The left gradient image Ksandra posted is a a grey/blue hue on top and brown on bottom. While the right one is indeed a bright gold to white gradient. Not a single pixel of either gradient comes anywhere near black. I even filled over a dozen cells in excel with varying blue/black gradients and none came close to Ksandra's examples

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

The "gold" actually looks solid black to me in both pics lol, just looks black but with a light shining on it.