Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
I think you're going a little far with the Abyssea comparisons there
Yeah, probably XD. I seems pretty similar in concept though the way Yoshi-P was talking about NMs and stuff. Despite what people often say, Abyssea was a pretty genius system that combined the best ideas from past FFXI endgame content. The reason why people say it ruined the game was only because of the huge leap in power of gear that came with the level cap increase, more or less invalidating other endgame activities (not to mention the old levelling process). People are asking for FC-based engame events and for more open world content and honestly I think something similar to Abyssea would be one of the only ways to go in a game like FFXIV. You need barriers to entry, some restrictions on how long your group can be in the area, and parallel progression that lets you build up the strength to deal with progressively more difficult encounters. I can see the building blocks being put in place based on all the things that Yoshi-P has said since Fan Fest. I really hope it works out to be something engaging and worthwhile!