+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cities: Skylines     submit to reddit submit to twitter

wotg torrent kitty :3
    BG Level

Cities: Skylines

PSA: Cities:Skylines is made by Colossal Order and has nothing to do with either Sim City or Cities:XXL. They are a small (13 people) finnish developer which previously released the Cities in Motion series.

For some very odd reason, we don't have a thread for this. Massively hyped through streamers, this baby is sitting on the number one spots on GMG and Steam for the past few days. Release is today (10am PDT / 19:00 CET) and the incoming raving reviews are confirming the hype: Finally, this is the city builder we deserve.

The meat aka Sim City vs Cities:Skylines

Spoiler: show

You can do some crazy stuff

Random Pics

Dev Diaries

Review Scores

IGN - 8.5/10
    Game Informer - 8.75/10
    PC Gamer - 86/100
    PC World - 4/5
    The Escapist - 5/5
    Gaming Nexus - 9.5/10
    Gamewatcher - 8.5/10
    IncGamers - 10/10

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I've checked out a few streams of this, from what I've seen from a spectators point of view, it looks fairly promising. I may end up caving and buying it.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

can i make ground floor retail with residences on top? I am all about that mixed use land. city style suburban living in the good ole United States of Tyven

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

It reminds me of Tropico in the layout. I'm interested.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Caved and bought. I haven't had a chance to play yet, as I am at work until this evening, but there's a ton of promise in this title. The above pic of the rotary roadway with elevated walking paths around it really intrigues me. Looking good so far!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    can i make ground floor retail with residences on top? I am all about that mixed use land. city style suburban living in the good ole United States of Tyven
    No, zones are exclusive but there are different densities and types. Like you can make an industrial zone purely agricultural, another one for oil industry etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    It reminds me of Tropico in the layout. I'm interested.
    There are different themes to choose from. They have no gameplay effect but the tropic theme surely reminds of Tropico: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...iary-10-Themes

The devs said that the simulation currently hard caps at a population of 1 million. If you want to see a glimpse of how huge this will be, check this channel: http://www.twitch.tv/kingkongor. The guy is currently at 550k and struggling hard.

Also while tunnels and wall-to-wall buildings are not in game yet, the devs already confirmed that they are working on it and will release them for free.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I've always been intrigued by this type of game but never been able to successfully be hooked by one that I played. Might try to get this when it goes on sale. Last one I tried was Sims 3 and I didn't get very far into it.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Well, seems like a great game so far. However, it has one fault that's driving the OCD freak in me absolutely insane .... why won't the zoning grid stay perfectly square?!?! AAHHHHH

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

This game is cocaine in bit form. Nine hours melted away like snow in a warm day's rainstorm.

BG Level

There are different versions of the grid tool to use, if you haven't seen them yet. The smallest one only fills a single square. That said, a "grid" city as in what we all are used to from the Sim City games will become a traffic nightmare later on. The less intersections the better. Apparently a tree like system works best: http://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylin...mmon_mistakes/

Another good tip I found is: If you tend to create your own roundabouts, make them in the asset editor instead. Once saved, you can reuse them in the game.

If you don't want to pay $29 for the game, you can get a key from nuuvem for ~$18: http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/2706-cities-skylines. I didn't test it but people on GAF report it to work.

More pics from the SCL subreddit

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    I've checked out a few streams of this, from what I've seen from a spectators point of view, it looks fairly promising. I may end up caving and buying it.
    ^

Was watching Sono stream this earlier, and it looks like everything the recent Sim City should have been.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

It seems a little simplistic overall to me, it's not grabbing me quite like I'd hoped it would. I haven't given up on it though.

Maxis must be turning in their graves right now.

BG Level

SCL lets you import height maps to automatically create terrains from. Someone created a wep app to quickly get a height map from any area you want: terrain.party

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanna View Post
    It seems a little simplistic overall to me, it's not grabbing me quite like I'd hoped it would. I haven't given up on it though.
    NO THIS IS NOT WHAT I WANT TO HEAR.

i remember how hype i was for Banished but after 3 nights of glory i was completely over it.

BG Level

Someone managed to reach the 1M cap and shares some info here: http://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylin..._lets_discuss/

Basically, the game breaks around 900k. He used the high demand mod around 400k because growth decreased to 5-8k/hr.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

The single best feature of this game is the developers. Open communication, officially patching in mods, and a true passion for the game.

BG Level

Just allowing mods in general already increased the game's value by so much. Tons of good stuff out there.

Not a mod, but insanity: http://imgur.com/a/V3OXR

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne