• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 151 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 102 ... LastLast
    The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Your leader sounds like a huge dick Richy.

I think I had just bought something super expensive right before I got my W.Legs so a friend loaned me the gil for HQ cuisses. He was like DO NOT BUY NQ YOU WILL REGRET YOUR LIFE CHOICES FOREVER HERE TAKE THE GIL lmao.

Same friend and I had a falling out right after I quit and I never did see or hear from him again. Sucks, but I found out that when you quit you kind of become like the scum of the earth. Someone on another forum said that FFXI players are like the Amish, you're expected to stay forever and then when you leave you are shunned and if you are spoken about at all, it is negatively by the people who are angry that you left. Kind of sad, but not entirely inaccurate.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

not our group. mournful would be a more accurate representation. and joyous, if one returns.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

NQ cuisses for life since I let virtually every single person in the LS get a pair before I bothered since I didn't care about the jobs that could equip 'em.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aksannyi View Post
    Your leader sounds like a huge dick Richy.

I think I had just bought something super expensive right before I got my W.Legs so a friend loaned me the gil for HQ cuisses. He was like DO NOT BUY NQ YOU WILL REGRET YOUR LIFE CHOICES FOREVER HERE TAKE THE GIL lmao.

Same friend and I had a falling out right after I quit and I never did see or hear from him again. Sucks, but I found out that when you quit you kind of become like the scum of the earth. Someone on another forum said that FFXI players are like the Amish, you're expected to stay forever and then when you leave you are shunned and if you are spoken about at all, it is negatively by the people who are angry that you left. Kind of sad, but not entirely inaccurate.
    It was like that when I quit. While this may be unpopular to post or talk about I gotta own what I did. So I had quit a long time ago, but came back when Abyssea had just reached 99. I was in a group of around 4 of us and we started making empyreals. I got the first (Kannagi) and we were all having a blast. Thing was, at the time I was unemployed. I played a lot and we all got a lot done. We had finished half of two other empys and others wanted to get into dynamis too. Around this time my wife and I weren't having the best time paying bills and what not. I made a choice and sold my character for around $300. The people in the group were actually telling me they would give me $300, but I wasn't putting that on anyone. Anyways, after I did that, I was deleted from FB, emails, etc. Sucked, but it was what it was.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Aksannyi View Post
    Very accurate. If you left for 14 you are Hitler.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I bought HQ Cuisses in preparation and never got the drop during all my years, lol.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    I bought HQ Cuisses in preparation and never got the drop during all my years, lol.
    Don't worry, you can get the abjuration as a random prize from the daily goblin chest now!

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I just ran all the way to floor 100 in Nyzul in 30 minutes. Then I decided to do it again in Nyzul Uncharted. FIrst time I ever went through all the floors lol. Aht Urghan content was never good to me so I did very little of it. Turns out it is really fun when there isn't a high degree of frustration on every single run.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by FNH View Post
    Very accurate. If you left for 14 you are Hitler.
    lol that is accurate

Quote Originally Posted by Acevalefor View Post
    I just ran all the way to floor 100 in Nyzul in 30 minutes. Then I decided to do it again in Nyzul Uncharted. FIrst time I ever went through all the floors lol. Aht Urghan content was never good to me so I did very little of it. Turns out it is really fun when there isn't a high degree of frustration on every single run.
    Aside from Einherjar, ToAU content was teh besto Salvage, Assault, and Nyzul all blew away Dynamis and Dynamis-CoP, and was on par or better than the Proto-Omega/Proto-Ultima stuff (Promyvion? Forget what it was called...)

To this day I am still proud of being part of the first group that cleared all 4 Salvage bosses, prior to the first gigantic nerf, and all the charting/exploration work that we put into that activity. Running friendly-competitive with Ruke's crew as well was awesome. Even almost a decade later I still remember the names of the people we ran with when we did 100 salvages in 100 days. Talk about extreme raiding. So much fun.

King of the Jews
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by aurik View Post
    Aside from Einherjar, ToAU content was teh besto Salvage, Assault, and Nyzul all blew away Dynamis and Dynamis-CoP, and was on par or better than the Proto-Omega/Proto-Ultima stuff (Promyvion? Forget what it was called...)
    Promyvion themed limbus zone was Apollyon
    Sea limbus zone = Temenos

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

So, the last day of the free week just now, I went and did the line of Records of Eminence quests I'd unlocked, The content of which is made to gutpunch you like with the Little FFXI Story video.
    One of the things you do is light off a firework at a location that means something to you. (The zone name gets saved for reference later, but nevermind that).
    I had to think about that for a bit. Ten years of stuff is a lot to sift through.

I went with Lufaise Meadows.
    From PS2 launch in 2004 to 2006 I was in AnimaSoul, a social shell a highschool friend of mine was in. About early 2006 just before ToAU came out I still hadn't reached even L70 THF. But all in the space of a week I finally managed to finish clearing the three Promyvions with AS help and get Tav access, and a connection through them had just got me into an endgame shell, Konoha (which had formed from something else previously), which would go on to be CetraSanctuary under Kyatasutorofii (who was the connection). If things had gone a bit differently though, I probably would have ended up in Kazoku with most of AS. Bullet dodged there.

Crossing from Valkurm to Lufaise after finally getting through the headache and hell that were those boss fights, getting that cutscene, and knowing I'd finally get to start doing Dynamis and Sky.
    Sure, getting my Relic hands and finishing the set, or my first piece of Homam were big. But that early moment sticks out more clearly for some reason.

On a related note, 2006 was a World Cup year, and Konoha/CS was an EU-LS. Events? What Events? Summer was not the best time to join, the schedule didn't really get into swing until the fall. XD

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Is it bad that one of my fondest memories is getting roflstomped by Guivre my first time XPing in Kuftal? Ahhh those were the days! I told the PLD to pop invinc and I'd escape us out, but noooo they all scattered like roaches. So I made it and the rest didn't.

Re: FF/life balance.

For better or worse (likely), it never really ended up being a matter of "do I go out Saturday or do Dynamis/Nidhogg window/etc?"

Closest friend moved to a different part of the country around when I started FFXI, and through him I lost friends in most of the social circles he facilitated. I was always kind of introverted/'follow the leader' in that sense, so him leaving lead to me becoming a loner; apart from like 2-3 I barely managed to keep. Got worse in college, going to a school with no one else I knew, full of a completely different set/type of people from where I grew up. It was only an hour away from home, but I pretty much had no RL friends I'd see or hang out with more than maybe 1-2 times a year (if that).

So yeah, FFXI ruled the social life. 90% of my closest friends were in FF, and it became 95% after my next best RL friend also started playing FF. No regrets, other than failing massively on staying in contact and not being able to kick the loner tendencies.
    Quote Originally Posted by aurik View Post

To this day I am still proud of being part of the first group that cleared all 4 Salvage bosses, prior to the first gigantic nerf, and all the charting/exploration work that we put into that activity. Running friendly-competitive with Ruke's crew as well was awesome. Even almost a decade later I still remember the names of the people we ran with when we did 100 salvages in 100 days. Talk about extreme raiding. So much fun.
    Those were fun times, remember having a number of discussions/debates here with you on optimal strategies and job combinations/equipment orders. Had that whole thing going down to a science!

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Thanks to Final Fantasy XI's patented no-life system™, I was able to avoid getting some broad pregnant, ruining my 20s like every other dude I hung out in high school with and saved a bunch of money by not going out because Aspidochelone is a bitch!

I remember doing CoP in Attohwa Chasm. The 3 cats fight. We head over there, get a bit lost on the way but eventually get there. Everyone is prepping and talking strategy, and we're ready to go, when our WHM uses a scroll of instant warp. He wanted to use a scroll of instant reraise.

And that time I decided to go farm 5440 weapon skill points just so I could get Atonement. I figured: "might as well start while we grind Nyzul floors", but our Nyzul group lost a few times in a row so I still had to get around 2500 or so, I believe. Most of it solo as PLD/RDM on crabs in the boyahda tree, with a script that automacally used a WS when I had 100 TP.

Snooping bugards off RMTs, using Flee and +12% to beat them, made farming more interesting.

Major fuckups include hitting Stun before hitting Chainspell, Dynamis-Valkurm wipe
    Major luck includes getting homam feet and duelist chapeau on the same day.

Best memory: my last CoP group. We nailed every fight the first time except magic pots (1/2) and ouryu (1/3). Nice change from my own 1/10 on Airship fight.

Occasionally I play the CoP boss theme - brings back a burst of memories from Promyvion, Sea, etc.

Damn why did I come here

double post

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Endracion View Post
    So many stories ;_; this is why I wish I had played FFXI, it's just not the same as it was back then.
    Nothing stays the same. Still good is better than only a memory.
    Better to have seen an old Judas Priest or Mötley Crüe than to have seen nothing at all!

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

If FFXI ever goes full F2P, Ill be back.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Quote Originally Posted by Dimmauk View Post
    If FFXI ever goes full F2P, Ill be back.
    It pains me to say it, but yeah. I would likely go back even if they just dropped the sub, and made it pay to play.