1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 0 hours, 8 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 23 hours, 51 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 17 hours, 8 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 16 hours, 51 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Patch 2.55 Notes     submit to reddit submit to twitter

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

where there is darkness there is always light

Spoiler: show
    Really though the fetch/deliver quests stick around throughout the MSQ and are pretty fucking annoying, just gotta get through them.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

The light at the end of the tunnel is .... The Hildebrand Questline

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

Quote Originally Posted by Ophannus View Post
    Ugh why are the MQ's so boring from 1-40 so far. It's unbearable. Why am I delivering lunches and getting water. It makes no sense and it's driving me insane. Please tell me there's light at the end of the tunnel
    I really hope they fix this in expac. IT'S OK TO TAKE IDEAS FROM WOW, YOSHI. Some flying mount quests, dungeon quests for gear, fucking something other than grinding FATEs and leves all day.........

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Please tell me there's light at the end of the tunnel
    You could say there are Beacons of Hope

But yes, the story overall is very good, but because of the format (being an MMO) there is quite a bit of filler at certain parts of the story. Now, this filler does actually add to the bigger picture in various ways (additional exposition on the world and lore, or just for comic relief), but it's not really central to the narrative. The story does get good though.

The filler is entirely unnecessary and has it's place along with all the other optional side quests.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

I thought Skyrim had circuitous questlines but FFXIV's are more akin to Maple Story's...pretty much all the main quests can be refined down to:

1) Talk A...travel to B and talk to C. ->Reward
    2) Kill X number of of Y's
    3) Collect X number of Y's from Z's.
    4) Weaken X number of Y's and then use Key Item Z.
    5) Take Keyitem X and use it on spot Y.
    6) Go to destination X and interact with the point of interest.
    7) Go to destination X and interact with the point of interest and defeat mob(s) Y.

I kind of miss the FFXI open world dungeon crawls. Instanced dungeons right now feel like a Disney World railtrack theme ride. Enter, follow the linear path while completing the obvious outlined objectives(attractions) which are all conveniently in order for you(track).

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Unfortunately what you just described is the typical quest MMORPG system lol

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I think the open world will follow a path similar to crafting (just not as rapid): at 2.0 release, crafting was childishly simple and you could easily guarantee HQ on any item in the game (with macros, even). As the game progressed, recipes got harder and more expensive, culminating in the 4-star master book turn-ins which pretty much required every class at 50 and huge amounts of grinding/RNG luck.

I expect that 3.0 will introduce legitimately dangerous open world areas (I specifically expect to see many more enemies that directly inflict Heavy).

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    I think the open world will follow a path similar to crafting (just not as rapid): at 2.0 release, crafting was childishly simple and you could easily guarantee HQ on any item in the game (with macros, even). As the game progressed, recipes got harder and more expensive, culminating in the 4-star master book turn-ins which pretty much required every class at 50 and huge amounts of grinding/RNG luck.

I expect that 3.0 will introduce legitimately dangerous open world areas (I specifically expect to see many more enemies that directly inflict Heavy).
    Wouldn't mind seeing enemies summon adds, or run away to other mobs to aggro or even try to fly away in 3.0.
    Hoping to see semi unique monsters in 3.0 compared to 2.0's stand 1 spot and maul it to death, more like the alexandrite chest monsters that require some planning/dodging/thinking or you die horribly.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    It just sets up for Heavensward and continuing the current events through a paid expansion pack. What other game has ever done that?
    WoW did this with Warlords of Draenor with Garrosh escaping from his trial and goes to the past to influence the iron horde to do as he says, but is cut down at the end of the story arc and then you get the raid content that continues the main story quests. Spoilers that no one here cares about most likely.

Remit One (1) Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Qeomash Pandemonium
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkeeva View Post
    Wouldn't mind seeing enemies summon adds, or run away to other mobs to aggro or even try to fly away in 3.0.
    Hoping to see semi unique monsters in 3.0 compared to 2.0's stand 1 spot and maul it to death, more like the alexandrite chest monsters that require some planning/dodging/thinking or you die horribly.
    I would love to see true linking again, not the party linked system we have now for mobs.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Mobs running away reminds me of those annoying motherfuckers from 1.0 leves that would run across the map to get reinforcements.

They're in 2.0 leves as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    Making the open world too dangerous won't do anything to get people out in it. It needs to be rewarding and ideally fun to do whatever it is they make you do for those rewards.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I would hope the open world is dangerous regardless since we'll supposedly just be able to fly over everything anyways.

A shame SE dropped the ball on the maps system. It could have been so much more than it ended up being. Could have been decent midcore content. Random boss that may kick your ass as a group of 8.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthars Menethil
    FFXIV Server
    Chocobo
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I thought Skyrim had circuitous questlines but FFXIV's are more akin to Maple Story's...pretty much all the main quests can be refined down to:

1) Talk A...travel to B and talk to C. ->Reward
    2) Kill X number of of Y's
    3) Collect X number of Y's from Z's.
    4) Weaken X number of Y's and then use Key Item Z.
    5) Take Keyitem X and use it on spot Y.
    6) Go to destination X and interact with the point of interest.
    7) Go to destination X and interact with the point of interest and defeat mob(s) Y.

I kind of miss the FFXI open world dungeon crawls. Instanced dungeons right now feel like a Disney World railtrack theme ride. Enter, follow the linear path while completing the obvious outlined objectives(attractions) which are all conveniently in order for you(track).
    isnt this........ what all MMO quests are?...........

what FFXIV lacks now are "elite mobs" that got very high HP/attack power that can actually kill adventurers and drop stuffs

but since lvling is FATE/dungeon onry, i wouldnt see it working at all, having party of 4 or 8 hitting stuffs in strongholds

thats the only thing missing now, yup something like open world dungeons but that would mean zerg fest i guess

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Well compared to ffxi, ffxiv quests are ludicrously simple. True ffxi had its share of turn in quests but there were far fewer than in 14. 14 it's like a true staple where probably 20-30% of all quests are kill X of Y or bring me X item. FFXI quests were almost always multiple steps, involving going through dungeons, getting key items, bringing them to npcs, getting a cutscene, fighting an instance, bringing a KI back. Also in 14 when you retrieve items from a mob during a quest(e.g. get me 5 pelts from Snow Wolves) it seems like its 100% chance drop whereas in ffxi you had to rely on RNG drop rates unless you brought a THF for treasure hunter, so it doesnt seem much different from a kill X number quest. It was a bit less mindless and quests felt unique and less copy and pasted. I noticed after the first hour of 14 that theres hundreds of these turn-in quests or kill X mob quests whereas in 11 there were only a few "kill x# of mobs(unless you count magian trials which are more similar to relic/zenith type grinds than quests)

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthars Menethil
    FFXIV Server
    Chocobo
    FFXI Server
    Odin

thats the modern MMO tho

NPC and quests line will always lead you progressively, and net you more than 1/2 of your level for that first job, be it kill 3 rats, or fetch 20 corpse

xi was very bad in terms of quests initially that no one does them except for exclusive items/fame. and its heavily reliant on grinding in the dunes, crawler nest or kuftal tunnels for experience

if you count those over excessive quests that require you to kill stupid mobs and fetch stupid things in XIV to the amount of crawlers you kill, they are both of braindead and serve no purpose

times have changed guys. this has been the way mmos are now way back, not just in XIV

now, for story quests its another issue. XI had more of a challenge and fun even for story that even the hardcores can meet problems, eg CoP prenerfed!!!!, while XIV story still stuck to the leveling/progression template...... i understand and i also feel that we should get more challenge, which in turns reduce stupid things we do for XIV story, but if even a step of faith can get so many negative feedback from the fucking casuals 2-3 hours into patch, you know we are now in a very dark age of MMO where fucking people cant listen and stay patient

^ NA servers

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It may be the modern MMO but it doesn't make it good... and if you're not arguing its good and you're just sayin' it how it is, well, we all know thats how it is now, so the point is moot and I'm confused why its brought up. We know thats how much modern MMOs are now, doesn't make it suck less.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthars Menethil
    FFXIV Server
    Chocobo
    FFXI Server
    Odin

many games suck now, hence not many games nowadays made it past the 2-3 year mark

we all know each other in this forums since 9 odd years ago, since xi, we understand how each other feels in modern mmos

god damnit i feel so fucking old now

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast