1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 4 hours, 18 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 19 hours, 41 minutes
    Last weekly reset was -3 hours, -42 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 6 days, 12 hours, 41 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Patch 2.55 Notes     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    Well, let me put it this way... I don't care if hardcores burn out and quit.
    I care about it in the sense that it's nice to have a few "advanced" players in the weekly CTs (or other daily runs) to help carry everyone.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ellatrix Reatori
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    I care about it in the sense that it's nice to have a few "advanced" players in the weekly CTs (or other daily runs) to help carry everyone.
    Yes, it's such fun to carry total shitstains who intentionally die so they can afk and get carried. Then the party gets mad at me for calling them out on their shit and tries to boot me (but I initiate kick first then they don't read it and kick the leech).

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

It was fun back in the day to do a victory lap ST after weekly 6-9. Would frequently get 1-2 other skilled alliances and melt everything.

Then you go back in the next day and realize how slow it usually is.

Similar to how a lot of games have abandoned 40-man raids, I'm honestly not all that sold on anything over 10 being good for the genre. Because once you get past that, "Yay, I'm killing things with lots of people!" element, it turns into the shit pile that is carrying, leeching, elitists being asshats, loot drama, etc..

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    Similar to how a lot of games have abandoned 40-man raids, I'm honestly not all that sold on anything over 10 being good for the genre. Because once you get past that, "Yay, I'm killing things with lots of Nameless NPCs!" element, it turns into the shit pile that is carrying, leeching, elitists being asshats, loot drama, etc..
    Fixed for accuracy of how it feels 90% of the time ._.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Holy crap at the last two missions, so many twists - totally caught me disarmed.
    Cant wait to see what the expac brings.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

is there a youtube vid with TLDRs of all the MSQs?

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    Fixed for accuracy of how it feels 90% of the time ._.
    True enough. Reminds me a lot of my XI EXP parties, really. Just get to camp then drone away for a few hours IF you're lucky to not have someone flake.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by SephYuyX View Post
    Holy crap at the last two missions, so many twists - totally caught me disarmed.
    Cant wait to see what the expac brings.
    Yeah, kind of surprised at how many twists there were
    Spoiler: show
    bet no one actually died except nanamo

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

well they managed to defy expectations on one thing at least. those last few missions were great

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Initial mindblow with Teledji(sp?). Everything was a heart attack from that point on

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkeeva View Post
    Yeah, kind of surprised at how many twists there were
    bet no one actually died except nanamo
    Pretty sure Teledji or whoever got fucked up

Call me crazy, but has the last-bad-lalafel been revealed/introduced before?

I bet that's papashan

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

it's Lolorito. his complacent sigh at the end tells me he isnt the puppetmaster here

The more I think about the wrapup of 1.0/2.0's story arc, the more annoyed I am.

As a preface, I like what they did as a section of a story. The fact that they grew some balls and made some, quite frankly, grisly death sequences and impactful moments was a great change of pace from most of the rest of the story so far. That being said...

I've played a lot of MMOs. A lot of them. Never before have I felt so lost and left behind as I do now. I'm not talking about the tragic events that transpired during the story, that's all fine, I'm talking about as a player of a game, to receive 0 resolution or other such ending to the game. It's literally just all open ends, not only the ones we've had since the very beginning but also a slew of brand new ones.

There is no feeling of it being an end of an era, or a waypoint in the story. There's not really much of a "okay, that was a good end to a long saga". It just sets up for Heavensward and continuing the current events through a paid expansion pack. What other game has ever done that?

Let's use XI as an example. Each expansion pack had its own unique microcosm; it was built around itself and had a unique, rich story with the characters reacting and changing based on that individual story. Sometimes there were nods or interwoven threads of other stories/expansions, but they were not normally integral or required you to play the other stories/expansions to understand/interpret/incorporate them. XIV is going in an entirely different way; there won't be individual stories and scenarios, but an overarching premise that carries through from base game to the expansion(s).

Why does it bother me you ask? I just see it as a slimy business practice. Instead of allowing the customer, or player, a valid end to a long scenario, you instead punch the throttle up to full and open up all the loose ends right in the final cutscenes just so that you can sell them an expansion pack and continue that... possibly, and probably, just to do it again at the end of that. I don't like it.

tl;dr I like the story as a segment, but not as an ending.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Dammerung View Post
    Yes, it's such fun to carry total shitstains who intentionally die so they can afk and get carried. Then the party gets mad at me for calling them out on their shit and tries to boot me (but I initiate kick first then they don't read it and kick the leech).
    You and I are playing different games.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    it's Lolorito. his complacent sigh at the end tells me he isnt the puppetmaster here

The more I think about the wrapup of 1.0/2.0's story arc, the more annoyed I am.

As a preface, I like what they did as a section of a story. The fact that they grew some balls and made some, quite frankly, grisly death sequences and impactful moments was a great change of pace from most of the rest of the story so far. That being said...

I've played a lot of MMOs. A lot of them. Never before have I felt so lost and left behind as I do now. I'm not talking about the tragic events that transpired during the story, that's all fine, I'm talking about as a player of a game, to receive 0 resolution or other such ending to the game. It's literally just all open ends, not only the ones we've had since the very beginning but also a slew of brand new ones.

There is no feeling of it being an end of an era, or a waypoint in the story. There's not really much of a "okay, that was a good end to a long saga". It just sets up for Heavensward and continuing the current events through a paid expansion pack. What other game has ever done that?

Let's use XI as an example. Each expansion pack had its own unique microcosm; it was built around itself and had a unique, rich story with the characters reacting and changing based on that individual story. Sometimes there were nods or interwoven threads of other stories/expansions, but they were not normally integral or required you to play the other stories/expansions to understand/interpret/incorporate them. XIV is going in an entirely different way; there won't be individual stories and scenarios, but an overarching premise that carries through from base game to the expansion(s).

Why does it bother me you ask? I just see it as a slimy business practice. Instead of allowing the customer, or player, a valid end to a long scenario, you instead punch the throttle up to full and open up all the loose ends right in the final cutscenes just so that you can sell them an expansion pack and continue that... possibly, and probably, just to do it again at the end of that. I don't like it.

Err wrong. Rise of the Zilart (the very first expansion) is a direct sequel to the main story of the base game.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post

I'm not sure I quite agree with you on this. I mean sure, it's all been a long build-up to Heavensward, but it's just a different way of story telling. I had to pay to watch 3 Lord of the Rings books/movies to get the full story, but it's not solely because they wanted as much money out of me as possible; some stories take time to tell and let's be honest, cliffhangers make for some exciting story telling.

Also, let's not forget the end of the 2.0 story. For all intents and purposes the Garleans were no longer a threat, the primals had been dealt with as far as we could tell, the realm was united more or less... it took a while for the story to really pick up again in any meaningful way through patches. If people are worried about being forced to pay for a story with no end then just use the first free month of subscription to play through 2.0's MSQ and call it quits. Those of us who enjoy the story won't do that of course because we will always want more no matter how they choose to end things.

I agree that 2.55 was probably just a way to get a more or less clean slate in terms of characters for Heavensward.
    Yoshi-P was saddled with a lot of things from 1.0 that I'm sure he wishes he could change more abruptly. He phased out the world and the battle system, he's phasing out the class system, and now he seems to be phasing out a lot of characters in the story. Whether the Scions are truly dead or not, the focus of the expansion is now free to focus primarily on Ishgard.

Yoshi-P has said on several occasions that 2.0 was meant to provide a solid foundation for the game and flesh out a theme park experience. He's said that 3.0 is where they will take risks, make the game truly unique, and start the evolution of FFXIV in earnest. He's also said in the past that while he enjoys FF, if he could make an MMO from scratch he would make some entirely different choices. We're now heading into an expansion with new types of content, new characters and primals, and a darker, more mature story (with inspiration from things like Lord of the Rings, Dragon Age, and King Arthur's Knights of the round table... Yoshi-P was a huge fan of Dark Age of Camelot) so I feel like we're going to start seeing Yoshi-P bring in more of his own personal flare to the game.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    Err wrong. Rise of the Zilart (the very first expansion) is a direct sequel to the main story of the base game.
    less of a direct sequel and more of an intertwined direct story arc. the "original story" of XI, if we want to call it that, ends with the death of the shadow lord. future quests and expansions shed more light on him and use different facets of the SL story to flesh out the story of the character, but the very first set of rank 1-5 missions for XI have a definite ending without needing to play RotZ, 6-10 moreso but won't count those since they came later.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Waka Bo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I'm sure it's been mentioned, and elsewhere too, but the Heavensward trailer perspective changes after finishing the story.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Ugh why are the MQ's so boring from 1-40 so far. It's unbearable. Why am I delivering lunches and getting water. It makes no sense and it's driving me insane. Please tell me there's light at the end of the tunnel

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast