Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

VPNs- wat

I'm having severe connection issues with FFXIV. The game is nigh unplayable at times. I've contacted my ISP several times, and traced the problem to some dickhead server in Montreal. I am told (not by my isp) that the only real solution is to use a VPN... but I don't know jack about networking.

How do I get started?

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Camdyn Sicblades
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

i have FIOS and get that sometimes.I can play all weekend with no problems but some weeknights its like a bell goes off at 7:30 pm and i just lag like crazy. I started using WTFast and have not have a problem since. i don't use it constantly, but as soon as i start to get lag I exit FFXIV and start it up and have no problems. it is super easy to use and they have a 30 day free trial.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

For BattlePing, nothing at all.

Make sure you start up BattlePing and hit the Connect button first. If it works you should see text saying "Connected". Then start up FFXIV and when you're on the character select screen BP's status should now say "Connected: Game Detected" or something along those lines and then you're good to go.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

WTFast felt way too much like ad/malware so i uninstalled that. BattlePing... I can't tell if it's solving my connection issue because it boots me off after 20 minutes. Really don't want to pay for it if it's not gonna work.

edit: hmm... tried playing without battleping and it didn't quite drop me, but it was certainly more lag than i'd had with it. ill see what their pricing is.

edit2: eh for 6 bucks, fuck it i'll throw 30 days on there and see how it goes.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    WTFast felt way too much like ad/malware so i uninstalled that. BattlePing... I can't tell if it's solving my connection issue because it boots me off after 20 minutes. Really don't want to pay for it if it's not gonna work.
    It's been awhile but I am 99% positive battleping's trial only lasts 20 min at a time which is why you were getting booted.

I used to use pingzapper and loved that.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

yeah, that was what it was. was finally able to complete a dungeon. vast improvement. i think maybe i'll work this into the budget. it's not too hefty.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

never mind, can't even finish a fucking guildhest.

WTFast is legit enough if you want to try it. A lot of people mention it helps with XIV, but that's pretty much it. Would be worth trying for a free trial.

I have tried battleping, pingzapper and WTFast. I stuck with WTFast its connection is the best of the 3, for me at least. I am sure depending on ur location and isp results will vary.

Also note none of these are a vpn, if someone told you that a vpn is the only solution then none of the above will help. does not hurt to try first.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Just got off the phone with my ISP's tech support again. This guy actually had some useful suggestions, so we tried moving cables around. He thinks it might be my router. So, assuming that's it, that's actually a relief; routers are easily replaceable.

I've moved my computer to a different port in the router, and hopefully that fixes it.

He did notice something else weird: He had my bypass the router and hook directly into the modem, and he still saw two devices: my asus and a dell. had me reboot the model and that fixed it.

Your router would have to have some SERIOUS issues for it to be the bottle neck. If you know the public IP of the server you're hitting you can run a tracert and see where the bottle neck(s) are. Most of which probably aren't even owned by your ISP.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Yeah, but I've had issues with other games as well (Sins of a Solar Empire, most notably) and battleping didn't help. Though I guess that's not a VPN? Which brings me back to the original question: VPNs: Where do I start?

Did you try by-passing the router and going to the modem?

All in all though it really depends on where these drops are happening. The "closer" it is to you the less likely any VPN or By-pass software will help you.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

yes, but not for very long. if it continues (it hasnt) that's the first thing he suggested i try.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

That didn't work either. Not my router.

So you either have to try wtfast or another ISP.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

is wtfast functionally different from battleping? because battleping isnt working either

No idea, but I think they'll use different routes.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

hmm. maybe i'll give it another shot, then.

Although, I am increasingly convinced that it's not an issue on my end. Or even in the middle. Hyperion is a crowded server, and it tends to happen at specific hours. I noticed some issues when I tried to log in to the SE website. So I suspect it's something SE would have to fix internally. Something to do with their login system.