1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 22 hours, 56 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 1 hours, 3 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 15 hours, 56 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 18 hours, 3 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Post-Mortem Discussion: 2.X Series

I figured it was about to time to do a thread like this especially with a lot of people bringing up similar discussions in multiple threads.

So to kick off i'll add some of my own opinions on the 2.X patches.

Story:

Final Fantasy has always been about the story for me, even with FFXI. I was super excited about Dalamud falling in 1.0 and I was even more excited finding out more about what happened in the time skip for 2.0. Sadly some of that arc was locked behind the Binding Coil of Bahamut.

Thankfully I was able to get through BCOB and SCOB without too many issues, but my static petered out around FCOB. I'm still working through trying to get clears for FCOB but I expect this to take a while. Because of this I went ahead and spoiled myself and saw the cutscenes for FCOB and man that visual works CG cutscene was fucking amazing. I wish this was something that more players could experience.

As far as the MSQ goes, it was okay. The fetch quests and kill quests that peppered the questline weren't very fun and the dev team could've done a lot better via instancing. Make some of the MSQs more like the ninja/rogue quests where you're actually doing something with the scions or crystal braves. I was hoping that the Battle of Ishgard would be a zone-wide FATE type of thing that had us defending the Gates of Judgement from the dragons in Coerthas, but sadly it was just a really annoying trial battle.

I was hoping that 2.55 would end things on a high point, crank the craziness and action up to 11 and hopefully top Nael Van Darnus dropping a fucking moon on Eorzea. Sadly, this has been the most anti-hyped build up to an expansion i've ever seen.

Battle Content:

I'm sick of getting hard mode versions of dungeons. I'd rather they come out with something new and fresh each content patch, instead of a rehashed version of a dungeon we've already been through. I liked that each dungeon kinda had its own set of mechanics that sometimes freshened things up a bit, but for 2.5 i'm really sick of running the same 3 dungeons over and over every day for Poetics. They are boring.

Crystal Tower, Syrcus Tower, and World of Darkness are okay. I'm not a fan of this type of 24 man content. I don't think a handful of people should be able to completely ruin a run. People not staying on pads for Atomos or Phlegethon, people with ice, sitting in puddles in Scylla. Thankfully with World of Darkness they made it harder for people to abuse mechanics, but in return it makes the runs so much longer. I'd like to see SE design some better 24 man content that isn't just a longer version of a dungeon. I also think they should've added the weekly reward a lot sooner, even when crystal tower first came out they could've added Tome rewards until they started doing the upgrade items.

Binding Coil of Bahamut (All Turns). I liked every single bit of this content. This shit felt like Dark Souls. Die, die and die again until you get good. Clearing T5 and T9 felt like a major accomplishment. It took a lot of time, dedication and team work and I absolutely love that about this type of content. I'm definitely looking forward to Alexander in Heavensward. If SE can figure out a way to make forward progression and Alexander work where entire communities can player together without having to deal with lockouts, 3.0 will definitely outshine 2.X.

PVP content kinda seems like an after thought. I was excited when they said they were adding a roulette for frontlines but completely baffled when they didn't offer any wolf marks or pvp xp as a reward. In what universe does that shit make sense? Poetics and Soldiery as a reward for PVP content? I think pvp content is a complete joke right now because of this. Any time i've tried to queue for frontlines i've seen hour long waits, or no queue time displayed at all. Not to mention I can only do frontlines with people in my GC. This was a pretty bad decision and in Heavensward they really need to find a way to let people play together. I think this is one of the major reasons why I didn't bother with frontlines when it first came out. There were only a few people in my FC at the time that I could queue with.

The sidequests they've added were kinda fun. Hildabrand was boss. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing him come back in Heavensward. The courier quests seem fun, i'm still trying to finish them but i've been saving a lot of this side content for when i'm bored or between patches. The greatest story never told is a quest I haven't been able to get past the first step on and I refuse to look it up. I'll figure it out one day.

My hopes for Heavensward is that they have plenty of varied content for 50-60. I don't want to get stuck in the endless FATE grind for all my DoW/DoM. I'd like to see more instanced content or phasing to show some repercussions of our actions.

Crafting Content:

I haven't really touched this at all. It seemed kinda daunting with having to have everything leveled up and have fully melded gear to really begin. The upfront effort and cost have kept me from picking this up immediately, but once I finish FCOB this is something I might get into to keep me busy until Heavensward.

I'm hoping that with the airship crafting that it takes up a lot of surplus the market has with low level gathering stuff. There's quite a few items that are selling for less than npc price on the MB and I definitely see airship construction as a good way to make those items worth gathering again.

Final Thoughts:

Overall I enjoyed 2.X. They definitely need to step things up if they want to keep their subscriber base, I know a lot of people in my LSes/FC are getting bored because all they have left is grinding relics or doing dailies/weeklys.

Right now I don't think the story is really reaching FFXI levels of awesome just yet, but that may change with Heavensward.

I'm pretty excited for the midcore content for 3.1, like the airship exploration and Alexander normal. Hell I might be able to play with some people outside of statics.

I think XIV still has a lot to prove, especially with the strong launch. They need to find a way to come up with some meaningful content for everyone. Yoshida was definitely right when he said that they can't continue fragmenting the playerbase with casual and hardcore content. Hopefully splitting up Alexander into two modes should help that.

I definitely plan on sticking around for the foreseeable future, but overall I want some better long term content. I kinda miss sea/sky and the wide variety of endgame activities from XI.

I loved the game until 2.1. Extreme primals were rewarding, every Coil floor was different and had unique mechanics, CT was easy but entertaining, you had many options to cap myth (high level roulette with 5 dungeons, Coil gave 70 per turn, CT gave 50, extremes gave a ton too), many gear choices (three i90 rings, two i90 weapons, for example) without too many hassle to get aside from "play the game", crafting wasn't so grindy (level 50 stuff was lacking though).

The game was more alive, I used to pug stuff all the time just for the hell of it, now I don't feel like doing anything because everything feels like a rewardless chore, dungeons offers zero resistence (that PS Cursed Sprite is probably more dangerous than any new trash) and even classes got dumbed down (drg positionals/jumps, tank aggro, smn's 4th DoT, bard/pld silences...).

I've been sticking around to see if it changes in the expansion, less skinner box, more game hopefully.

Crystal Tower, Syrcus Tower, and World of Darkness are okay. I'm not a fan of this type of 24 man content. I don't think a handful of people should be able to completely ruin a run. People not staying on pads for Atomos or Phlegethon, people with ice, sitting in puddles in Scylla. Thankfully with World of Darkness they made it harder for people to abuse mechanics, but in return it makes the runs so much longer. I'd like to see SE design some better 24 man content that isn't just a longer version of a dungeon. I also think they should've added the weekly reward a lot sooner, even when crystal tower first came out they could've added Tome rewards until they started doing the upgrade items.
    When you remove every danger and responsability on a fight, it goes from a game to a chore.

This only makes future content more and more boring imo as it'll have to be clearable by a new generation of lazy players who got used to other people doing mechanics for them.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Juran Harvey
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I agree with with OP on this. Overall I enjoyed the game, but for me it felt like it was being catered more to the casual bunch that don't have a clue on how to play their job. Hopefully heavensward will give us hardcore folks more to do. I also miss the good old days of sea and sky.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Rather than simply giving hardcores more to do (which would be nice but not holding my breath), I'd rather they create incentives for new/gimp/wtf players to do better so the general population isn't as bad-to-mediocre as it has pretty much always been. Half of the reason all content is a chore is because if you don't have any buddies (at all, or just available at the time, or don't want to bother them) then you have to rely on unknowns and the unskilled population in this game is just enormous.

Gate the poor players and force them to improve, or reward them for improving of their own accord. It's my belief that a lot of people don't improve because they aren't forced to (or because "it's just a game" but not going there). Unfortunately most ideas I can think of (hiding soft but mandatory DPS+HP checks, under a strict ilvl cap so you can't just outgear it, somewhere in "required" content like solo story stuff) will alienate SOMEONE and we can't have that.

But it might just be an attitude thing. Some people will never touch Coil until Echo and some won't touch it even after that. And they insist that they are the shit in CT/ST/WoD with no EX primal kills of any kind either. I don't know why you would even play if you don't touch anything harder than 24man zergfest or why you would cop an attitude at the slightest provocation.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Coil was both awesome and frustrating as an older gamer that can't no-life progression and occasionally goes on vacation, etc. For first and second Coil, I inevitably fell into the same cycle:

1) Have a core group of 3-5 friends who are interested
    2) Spend several weeks plugging random friends / people into the last few spots
    3) Make some progress, but eventually hit a wall for a variety of reasons (gear, skill, etc.)
    4) Randoms / last additions to the group start to flake
    5) Go back to step #2
    6) Eventually a core member or two decides he's had enough (this was me a few times)
    7) Whole group falls apart
    8) Maybe try again later, but generally just go casual mode until next patch

Not saying that's everyone, but it was my experience. Letting people repeat coil turns (no loot) would have solved this issue for me as we could have used reliable members from other FC groups as temporary solutions to prevent steps #4-7.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

I had a very tight-knit static for about a year until our underperformers finally got us cockblocked in final coil and we all fell apart. I went casual mode and loved it, but everyone else from the static basically quit. Now I'm leader of a FC that owns a large house but where fewer than 10 people ever even log on anymore.

I'm not signing myself up for that shit again, so they'd better change the way the top raid loot/structure is handled, otherwise I'm staying casual. And if they don't add some cool shit in Heavensward that draws my wife back into the game, I'll probably have to quit altogether.

I'm with Seravi here, they need to at the very least give some metrics to people who actively want to improve. In my ideal world, there would be an instance where two (or more) people could enter and you could see your total damage, at least. I've been asked to train bards on multiple occasions, and the best we have to compare each other without 3rd party tools is the hate list on a training dummy. The only way I can compare myself to others in instances is also via the hate list, but I don't expect that to change.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azull Abaddon
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I kind of liked the HM versions of the dungeons. They weren't the same dungeon, they were a continuation of the story for that dungeon. While they were the same general setting the layout was different and it had different mechanics. Sometimes you would cross paths with the lower version of the dungeon but even in a lot of these cases the area you encountered was changed so it was new.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Without a static I would have quit a long time ago. 2.1 was the best time for this game as the OP stated. Coil was good and it was easy to over gear it since i90 was much more accessible. This gave most everyone confidence to at least try T1-4. Extreme primals were hard but Ifrit and Garuda had multiple PUG groups. Titan was the very hard and rewarding to complete.

SE really dropped the ball by trying to gate the high ilvls behind coil. This created a larger divide in the player base and randoms stopped even trying Coil until it was echoed. Levi was solid but the mirror rate was garbage. Ramuh was a miss and hunts were a mess.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I will not go through in this game what I went through in 9yrs in FFXI. I wont I wont. If people or more so elitists who only want to get their friends clears/gear, etc, get in my way of my own progression, I'm not getting gray hair over. Just going with whatever is easily obtainable that doesn't require help from others.

For example, if I need to clear XXX or I wanna farm for my XXX gear, etc and I ask in FC or whatever, and no one answers, but some popular moron pops up wanting something done and 80% of the people in the FC answer, yeah fuck that.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    I had a very tight-knit static for about a year until our underperformers finally got us cockblocked in final coil and we all fell apart. I went casual mode and loved it, but everyone else from the static basically quit. Now I'm leader of a FC that owns a large house but where fewer than 10 people ever even log on anymore.

I'm not signing myself up for that shit again, so they'd better change the way the top raid loot/structure is handled, otherwise I'm staying casual. And if they don't add some cool shit in Heavensward that draws my wife back into the game, I'll probably have to quit altogether.

I'm with Seravi here, they need to at the very least give some metrics to people who actively want to improve. In my ideal world, there would be an instance where two (or more) people could enter and you could see your total damage, at least. I've been asked to train bards on multiple occasions, and the best we have to compare each other without 3rd party tools is the hate list on a training dummy. The only way I can compare myself to others in instances is also via the hate list, but I don't expect that to change.
    I'm lucky enough to have lucked into a group that was just starting on T5 when I started doing Coil, and it's been mostly the same core since then all the way to T13 clear (with very solid reps, but always needing a new WHM for next coil tier <_<). But I've seen friends fall in and out of half a dozen groups along the way and it sucked that I couldn't help out even if I wanted to (other than gearing up one of my alts, which I stopped having time for a few months ago). I was able to sub in for a friend's group who is mostly the same progression pace as us a few times and it was really fun because it was subtly different but still very adaptable, and it's interesting to see different close-knit group dynamics as an outsider.

Same situation in my FC though it was formed in the first place just because it seemed silly for our original 8, who were all in FCs we didn't like / were just 2 people, to not be in one together. So it was never really under the pretext of being big and communal (though if HW doesn't make us all quit, we may try for that again).

It's going to be the middle class that kind of ruins any "self-policing" of DPS imo, as it always has. The upper class already parses or knows well enough, the lower class is too worried about being ostracized for sucking. The middle class that wants to emulate the upper without knowing reasons why (IE, blindly citing DPS without considering other factors) is a lot of the reason for the problems in the playerbase I feel. Giving you a personal tool for even just your own DPS would be fine for the top and bottom, but the vocal middle is gonna be like "COPY AND PASTE DPS OR KICK".

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'd just like it if the dungeon additions per update weren't just a retread of the exact same pattern set before it. I don't need 3 mindless dungeons that drop fodder gear to grind the currency to cap; make them more than trash pulls + boss.

2.1-era was by far the best due to having 'some' variety of semi-relevant content that has yet to be matched since then. Need more than alternating endgame/casual-ally content every update with 3 boobless dungeons and a trial with outdated gear.
    Spoiler: show
    I nearly quit the game during 2.0 because fuck grinding CM for a week straight so you can then grind WP/AK prior to being Coil ready

And for a bit of ranting.
    Spoiler: show
    Story pacing is shit to the point where I hope they already have a contingency plan in their script to spread quests out as optional so new players don't have to prepare a pointless feast before seeing Titan, or getting the wrong crystal thing for Garuda twice, and all the fetch-quest filler in 2.1->2.4.

And the fuck is Gridania up to these days? I understand why they kept to merging the starting nation stories asap in ARR, but I wouldn't mind it if 3.0 did something with the GCs to flesh out their politics and ongoing events so I'm not stuck waiting on X.1/X.2/X.3/X.4 to only hear about the new adventurers of corrupt Ul'dahn politicians.

Coil's RNG chests can also die in a fire. That issue was amplified this last update where two of our members didn't have their dreadwyrm weapons when the i135 relics landed just because of chest luck.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeota Fourier
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

For the most part, I enjoyed 2.x, but the ending felt horribly anti-climactic compared to the 1.x ending.

Can't really comment on coil since I never did each set while it was "fresh", having not played for nearly 8 months between 2.0 and 2.3.

All We Need of Hell
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Dalaran

I also feel that 2.1 was the best of the 2.0 series. The extreme primals were more challenging in i90 than any others that followed , except for maybe Ramuh, and they provided relevant drops and rewards for the challenge. People got into coil easier and there was the brand new LotA for anyone else. I personally liked the story though I had to go in with a mindset that MMO stories are terrible. No expectations, no disappointments. Right? That being said, the story presentation was abysmal and the irrelevant fetch and/or kill busywork quests made it much worse. It didn't come off as "OMG SO MUCH STORY!!!!1!!!111!" like they probably wanted. It came off as very obvious padding.

Around 2.2, when the game shifted away from time gating and towards huge grinds, I personally stopped having as much fun. The relic quest was just awful; the only redeeming quality of the whole thing for me was that we got to choose which stats went on them. Leviathan's non-existent mirrors, King Mog's outdated ribbons, and Ramuh's rare and outdated weapons and outdated rings in 2.3 made for some disappointing primals. Crafting changed in a good way in that the high end crafts weren't 100% HQ from NQ mats, but the grind that gated 3 star crafts turned almost everyone I knew away from it. It seemed to make crafting a lot less fun to a lot of people, including myself. Same can be said for desynthesis. Unfortunately, big grinds as content has seemed to continue from 2.2 into 2.5 with gold saucer: MGP, Triple Triad, and Chocobo Racing. Yes, grinds are in every MMO. However, not everything NEEDS to be a grind for the hardcore. Some things can just be fun and/or time-gated.

I really enjoyed the Coil story and the fights. As a 1.0 player, I am likely biased on the quality of the story but to me it was far better than the main scenario and had a satisfying conclusion. The fights were probably the most fun I had in 2.0. It's unfortunate that so many people will be unable to experience them. The loot RNG dampened the overall experience, though. I had 0 caster drops for 2-3 months before they started trickling in. I finally got the caster body from T11 3 weeks before Final Coil unlocked and the Dreadwyrm Staff the last week before unlock. I had the i130 poetics body and the i135 relic long before either of these pieces dropped for me. It felt terrible.

I would say 2.0 was a fun experience overall, but quite a few things need to change for me to really be invested in the game in the future. I feel they should keep relic a long grind (as much as I hate it) and scale massively back on the grind in virtually every other area of gameplay. They need to create different content all with relevant drops in the same tier and make their Heavensward token system really good to make up for the shitty RNG. Lockouts need to be totally revamped so I don't only experience the game with 7 others who aren't even in my FC. I'm cautiously optimistic about things like the airship content in the expansion, but I also remember in FFXI how only leaders got drops most of the time. Content that a FC can make exclusive will be made exclusive and usually will only benefit guild leaders. Sadly, I can see the airship content going this way. So while I think the expansion could be great and may fix a few things for me, I'm not really expecting it to do amazing things.

Despite my many complaints, I really have enjoyed my time in ARR.

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

To the remark about DRG being 'dumbed down'

I'm sorry, but DRG wasn't dumbed down just because the restraints on it's positionals were removed. The fact that if you happened to miss the flank in some funky way, whether it's because of latency or just because the hitbox is off, and you had to redo HT again, like.. that was just poorly designed. The Impulse drive change was whatever, but for me without the changes anyway, it would have just meant DRG would have seen zero use. Well that, and the mdef buffs, but yeah. That's coming from a DRG lifer. I don't see it as dumbed down, moreso quality of life. They're still 3rd on the list of DPS, so still aren't all used all the time, but it just means your party won't suffer for bringing one.

As for the rest of 2.x, I enjoyed it. 2.0 felt like it dragged on for a while, and 2.1 was good and challenging, but I'm a fan of all the content they've introduced. The HM changes to normal dungoens have been pretty cool, but sadly as mentioned, they aren't hard, and they aren't very rewarding outside of doing a Expert Roulette or whatever. Then of course with them being involved in the relic process; their way of bringing life back into dungeons. The story was pretty cool. I didn't think it was anti-climactic. We all saw it coming fro the most part.. thought the wrap-up of it wasn't bad.

Sadly, I don't think this game will ever cater to a hardcore audience unless they make Alexander ridiculously hard. I mean, savage did a bit, but the hardcore groups out there have already downed it or gotten close, and the main content for most good groups has been done for a while. We'll see what changes with 3.0+. If they really introduce as much content with this as they did with 2.0, I feel like it'll be a blast. Can't wait.

Oh and one thing; I agree with others. Why in the hell introduce these badass new primals or whatever, only for their gear to not even be worthwhile, or at the very least sort of worthwhile. I mean Shiva giving i115 weapons and 120 bracelets was okay, but like..Ramuh was pointless until they changed the ring to 110 and even then, that was only useful for a little while. I wish they'd make the trial content drop things that'd.. actually be helpful if they wanted to really catch up where ilvls are concerned. And the two chests random thing is, indeed, awful. Tokens, man. Tokens. I feel like if you go 4 months into coil, doing sixteen Turn 10s or w/e, you should at the very least be able to cash in all that work for ONE drop you want. (I did finally get them, but Jesus Christ)

/rant

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

I think they got lazier and lazier with the content as the patches came along and as a result added more and more grinds to make up for where they were lacking. The fact 2.5 didn't have a single difficult fight and 2.3 only had one says it all. Outside of FCoB in 2.4 we've had two difficult fights (Ramuh/Shiva) in the past year and a bit. Not enough. Add to that the fact they weren't even that hard and dropped mostly worthless equipment and it just leads to disappointment.

The story has been a big disappointment too. Even 2.55 was chock full of boring fetch/run quests that you just wanted to rush through to see the 2-3 quality quests. The whole 2.1-2.5 story could be condensed into about 20 quests without losing anything and it would have been much more enjoyable.

Lots of non-battle content was implemented badly - housing, hunts, Triple Triad, chocobo racing, relics, DoH/L grinds and it just sucked the fun out of what could have been good systems.

The three dungeons per patch had no thought put into them other than the map design. They were all 4 man poor difficulty with worthless drops - when instead they could have mixed them up with 8 mans, better difficulty with better drops and who knows what else. The hardest dungeons in the game are pre-50 and that's sad.

It has overall been playable however, Coil fights were well done but the systems around it (loot/forced statics) were shit and if it weren't for having a static I'd probably not be logging in anywhere near as much.

If Heavensward turns out to be the same they will probably lose a lot of players.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    If Heavensward turns out to be the same they will probably lose a lot of players.
    Needs to be a better threat from more of the playerbase, otherwise all that happens is the top gets shaved off but the bottom gets built up from casual appeal/ease stuff, rinse repeat when the middle eventually rises to the top.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

I don't know, I think the casual crowd are fed up with all the grinds too.

The things that I enjoy most about 14 are how the world is put together and the story. I don't really care much for anything else with the game though I must say.

+The game is gorgeous
    +I enjoyed the characters
    +The story and lore within everything is interesting
    +Crafting system mechanics are unique and interesting
    ++Gold saucer was probably the best thing to ever happen to the game
    +Music is great
    +Dungeons and field areas are detailed and varied down to to even small rocks and trees and shit like that. This is a nice touch and showed that the people creating areas are at least talented and that they care enough about it to make the game look impressive.

-Lack of skill diversity, each person playing each class plays each the same way. Given the optional skills to acquire from leveling other jobs is pretty pointless when the selection of skills is by default, shallow. No real customization to your job unless you choose to play a base class for example. Then the game laughs at you and calls you a shit lord.

-Game is so balanced and jobs are so...samey that its really hard for me to even consider playing a melee DPS. If I were to pick a melee DPS I would be doing it based completely off of the aesthetics of the jobs themselves.
    -First final fantasy game where summoner is a fucking DoT DPS class. A retarded baby could have designed this one better. "Oh, lets give them a spike damage skill that will make it fun!" No, suck a dick and die please.

-All dragoons are retarded, I can't explain this one so its probably not a legitimate complaint. It seems that normal people that know how to play the game decide to play this and then they slowly turn retarded and their brains stop working properly.

-All gear stats across all classes is the same but with different values. There is nothing unique about gear except for the way that it looks. I have never once felt excited about getting a piece of gear in this game.

-True endgame content has a week lockout, new endgame shit comes out once every 6 months and you're basically forced to make a static to do it.

-Every time there is new endgame content(crystal tower doesn't count so dont even fucking try to argue this unless you want to look like a dumb shit) they go and make it easier for people to get into the endgame content, which really kills the whole feeling of progression for me. What was the point in putting it there to begin with? The first and second tier of bahamut's coil are pointless to do unless now unless you want cosmetic gear or want story shit because you can skip straight to 130 tomestone and CT gear anyways. Sure, you can argue that its bad if they keep everything hard and relevant because you probably wouldn't make very fast progress. Why can't the coil gear be used as a stepping stone to get us through and into the next tier of coil? Tomestone and CT gear is fucking stupid. Never agreed with it. Never will. 24 man raids that are a joke do nothing but bore people for nearly an hour at a time.

-There is still no emphasis on free companies having any sort of importance. Whats the point in having an FC if you're just going to run with 8 other random douchebags every week.

-Custom relics. Biggest grind in the game and nothing unique except for the way they look and a higher ilvl.

-The fishing in 2.4 for the ironworks fishing rod was fucking awesome. You had to go fish up a shit load of different fish all over Eorzea. It was like pokemon. Then 2.5 came along and yeah well they said fuck that and now its pointless.

-Crafting is almost always next to pointless except for maybe a few pieces of gear here and there.

Basically my whole complaint about this game is the sense of progression when it comes to gearing your character up and doing the endgame content. I know this does not reflect how others feel at all and I might be way too critical about things. I know that there are people that enjoy playing dodgeball and they enjoy their endgame with their dodgeball mechanics and feel rewarded when they beat it because it was tough to get through. For me though I could care less about doing it, and care even less about having to slog through bland content with 7 other people and deal with all the bullshit that comes with people's schedules not matching up periodically for said statics.

Whew, I'm a big bleeding vagina. Cant wait for the expansion.

Online Dating DOES Work!!
    Sonic Ripoff of the Houe of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hiryo Randgris
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Alym View Post
    Unfortunately, big grinds as content has seemed to continue from 2.2 into 2.5 with gold saucer: MGP, Triple Triad, and Chocobo Racing. Yes, grinds are in every MMO. However, not everything NEEDS to be a grind for the hardcore. Some things can just be fun and/or time-gated.
    I'm sorry, but I hear this as a common complaint and I don't really understand it. What is it that you are actually "grinding" for that needs to be addressed?
    1) Grind MGP for glamour - Solution would be to lower the cost of glamour items because who cares, its glamour.
    2) Grind MGP for card packs - Solution lower the cost of card packs and/or change the RNG distribution so that we can collect all the cards sooner/easier?
    3) Grind MGP for Chocobo racing things - I think they did this already. Breeding is rng too so requesting the MGP cost to be lowered makes sense so you aren't hit twice.
    4) Grind TT npcs for card drops - Solution would be to increase the drop rate on the rarest cards so that you can collect all the cards sooner/easier?

While I feel for the people who did 50+ Dragon's Necks for a single super rare Triple Triad Card....or the guy who bought a Fenrir mount just from farming TT npcs, I gotta ask how fast do you want to get this stuff?

Edit: holy moley at the post above me...

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

What a lot of you guys seem to be missing about all the 2.1 nostalgia was that, aside from turn 5, first Binding Coil was fucking boring. It had excellent levels of breadth, but the main endgame during that patch kinda sucked. Second Coil provided the first real difficulty and set the standard for what to expect from each turn, not just the final one. That's a curve I really, really hope they keep for Alexander.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast