Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    Fake Numbers
    BG Level

FFXI mobile version speculation

So I was reading up on the mobile version of FFXI and saw that it will only go up to CoP in terms of content.

Immediately I assumed that this was SE's way of providing a "private server" for players who enjoyed all the 75 cap content. Why else would it only go to CoP, the glory days of XI.

Anyway, it's just wishful thinking on my end. I would be totally blown away if an official server with 75 cap up to CoP content was released and anyone who played had to start fresh. I would definitely fail nursing school ha.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I thought the mobile version was only going to be available in JP?

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

It's a phone game so I highly doubt you will get those old 75 days feels. I personally feel it going to be a casual shitfest with pay to win but we'll see. Then playing on a phone over a perfectly fine PC or console is just dumb, don't even get the appeal for phone games.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Altnob View Post
    Immediately I assumed that this was SE's way of providing a "private server" for players who enjoyed all the 75 cap content. Why else would it only go to CoP, the glory days of XI.
    Maybe they are only going that far because of the private servers only going that far so far?

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    I thought the mobile version was only going to be available in JP?
    that's grandmasters. different game.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Maybe they are only going that far because of the private servers only going that far so far?
    Most private servers only go that far because that is all they have access to from what I heard.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Nah, in context, that was just an example given for how the mobile version would be implemented over time. It'll eventually include everything:

As far as content goes, even with the sheer volume of playable content in FFXI we won't be able to discuss this too concretely, but we think we won't start service with a lot of content lined up. We want to try and get this out to customers as fast as possible, and while it'll take some time, we'll eventually implement a good deal of content. There will definitely be restrictions on content and jobs at the start, such as only implementing up to Chains of Promathia. There are possibilities for expansive content exclusive to the native application as well. Players will eventually be able to play Rhapsodies of Vana’diel, so we'll be putting in a ton of effort to try and match or even surpass the PC version.

Nexon's current mobile offerings don't exactly inspire a ton of confidence, but they probably have an infrastructure for mobile, at least (and illustrate why they really need a known license >___> ).

My guess is that things will be simplified down to a hotbar-esque interface, with a bigger focus on instant-action type activity. The plus side is that it could mean redesigning things from the ground up to actually function (tanking/enmity for instance).

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    Most private servers only go that far because that is all they have access to from what I heard.
    Well I was implying they might try to in an act of supreme irony use some private servers to get an idea of how they handle things without SEs spaghetti... or perhaps the way they are implementing it might allow private servers to get up to speed on newer stuff easier

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meek Marcello
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

No way the "Glory days" of CoP will happen with the mobile release considering this will be a game released in 2016 but then you also have to subtract years by SE/Nexon involvement and it will be a MMO that plays like it was released in 2009. I thought that old characters could be played in the mobile version somewhat? I just hope they succeed in making leveling more casual/solo friendly. Well in general they make things more friendly.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Altnob View Post
    So I was reading up on the mobile version of FFXI and saw that it will only go up to CoP in terms of content.

Anyway, it's just wishful thinking on my end. I would be totally blown away if an official server with 75 cap up to CoP content was released and anyone who played had to start fresh. I would definitely fail nursing school ha.
    i dont want to break it to you, but CoP days werent in my eyes the glory days of 11. Abyssea and SoA are in my eyes the glory days of 11, most fun events/stuff/endgame-stuff etc came from those 2 things.

and they never said they will stop at CoP they made just an example that they want to release the mobile game as fast as possible, so they wont include all expansion at release, most likely up until RotZ or CoP etc. the other expansion will follow later on

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Emerald Dream

Let's be real, those "glory" days people like to mention are going to be subjective, what era of the game you enjoyed the most isn't going to be the same for everyone. SoA and Abyssea couldn't be any further than the glory days for me, but that's an opinion based on my personal experiences.

Their excuse for not converting to PC is that its "too hard and expensive" yet the build the game from the ground up for mobile? Bull!

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zimt Zucker
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I know you're just spamming your post count to 10, but: Squeenix is being paid by someone else for the rights to build a mobile game. Squeenix is making money, not spending it.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

i believe much of the cost of this native app project might not be borne by SE, but rather Nexon.. and SE is banking on Nexon's expertise and existing infrastructure to put out a mobile version of the game that is both more playable and more affordable (since there's probably less to invest into developing).

that said, i don't expect the game at its core to be that different. it will likely retain everything but simplify them so that they are click-easy. the most fundamental changes i can see are to the UI interface that allows for touch screen and a related form of targeting. i'm thinking they might revamp the general menu/quest infrastructure so that its simpler as well. in terms of code - it's probably as good as a new game.

theres sadly no information about it yet so perhaps this app is quite far away. the initial content up to CoP is probably just a goal set by them so that they can put the game out sooner. if it works out they'll eventually come out with the later releases and 'tier' the game's content for the new players they probably hope to draw to the game.

My take? Zones are no longer going to be free-roam. Instead, they'll be a series of checkpoints (with some locked to quests/missions) like map grids. Moving to a point will either initiate a battle or give the player an option to do so. Each point will then have a fixed pool of monsters to draw from to offer a sort of progression as you go deeper into a zone/toward the next. Fights themselves are also likely to be more turn-based with things like delay/haste determining order. The whole attack/gain TP metric can remain, but I wouldn't be surprised to see WS given individual costs as a sort of melee MP to better facilitate skillchains and MBs. Actual party members will probably then mirror Trusts in their arsenal, if not fully customizable from the player end. Towns would also use the same checkpoint system, but replace mobs with various NPC interactions. Actual storytelling and cut-scenes can remain relatively untouched, only tweaked to best fit the engine they put together.

The more worrisome aspect of my perception of the above is how they can gate it. Battles could be locked behind attempts, which would either replenish over time or could be bought. The latter risks severe P2W when it comes to (H)NMs and getting their loot. Realistically, I don't expect much partying to go on, if any. Most player interactions would likely be limited to a form of the AH/Trading, making the mobile version more of a single-player take of XI. I could also see it being done that you could loan your character to someone else for a specific fight or something, but the benefits of doing so probably wouldn't be much since it'd also be that person controlling you like they would an NPC.

Functionally, this means zones are really just a bunch of screenshots other graphics would be rendered over. This keeps installation requirements down with the rest being more subject to streaming. The fact the game comes with 20+ jobs to level also makes it a money gater's paradise. 1 month to get 1 job to 99 as a freebie player? Likely. Now reserve 2 weeks for every functional subjob. I honestly don't expect good things outside of it just being another medium to deliver XI's mediocre stories.