1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 4 hours, 22 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 19 hours, 37 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 21 hours, 22 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 12 hours, 37 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: System upgrade for 3.0     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I'd definitely want to upgrade my GPU, although it would be more for Witcher 3 than Heavensward. Currently I have a Sapphire Radeom HD 7850. I'm actually considering one of those GeForces they're now selling together with Witcher 3 code, but I have no idea if they are worth it.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rozaria Eleanor
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Get the new hyperx predator ssd, that shit amazingly fast

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

This thread makes me feel so dumb...

I want a new PC for game streaming/video rendering, but have no idea what is good and not... All these words and numbers are just gibberish to me :/

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    Get the new hyperx predator ssd, that shit amazingly fast
    PCIe/NVMe SSD's aren't really useful for gaming, if not overkill ;/
    Be better to get a cheaper SATA6 SSD unless your running a datacenter or some multi GB transfer server O_o

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post
    This thread makes me feel so dumb...

I want a new PC for game streaming/video rendering, but have no idea what is good and not... All these words and numbers are just gibberish to me :/
    get a decent CPU, a decent video card, and a 1TB SSD for video recording/encoding/rendering

SSD is amazing for video encoding, been using one for a few years now to encode 1440p videos and the difference in time it takes from a normal HDD is kind of large (that and able to read/write at the same time to the same drive with no loss in encode speed)

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkeeva View Post
    PCIe/NVMe SSD's aren't really useful for gaming, if not overkill ;/
    Be better to get a cheaper SATA6 SSD unless your running a datacenter or some multi GB transfer server O_o

get a decent CPU, a decent video card, and a 1TB SSD for video recording/encoding/rendering

SSD is amazing for video encoding, been using one for a few years now to encode 1440p videos and the difference in time it takes from a normal HDD is kind of large (that and able to read/write at the same time to the same drive with no loss in encode speed)
    See but I don't know what "decent" is :/

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Have all sorts of guides and explanations about PC building and components.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

money can be a measurement...!
    not 100% absolute perfect, but its close enough for most. As always its best to check benchmarks and "several" reviews on something (because some review sites get paid to fluff details).

Video card (ideal video card is Nvidia, also single card, not dual)
    $1~150 = kinda crappy
    $151-300 = decent
    $301-500 = good
    $600ish = very good
    $900+ = you got too much money

CPU (ideal cpu is intel)
    $1~100 = kinda crappy
    $101-150 = decent
    $151-200 = good
    $201-275 = very good
    $276-350 = long lasting very good

For SSD, determine how much space you need. Check to see how much your using now, and probably go 1 tier over what your using about for more or less "future proofing". Example, 200gb of crap on your old PC, get a 512GB SSD. They all almsot run identical speeds, and a human won't notice 0.01~0.1 second difference for the most part.

Decent = 1080P gaming at good/best game settings and most likely 60fps+
    Good for 1440p gaming at/near/above 60fps gaming (can play older games at 4K around 30fps)
    very good for like current generation games extreme settings 1440p gaming somewhere between 60-120fps (can play some current games at 60fps 4K)

Note again - This is a general ideal range, not 100% accurate in any way

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Speaking of SSD's
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=1800524&SID=

1TB SSD discounted to $300

250GB SSD for $95

the 250GB is faster, but if you just do gaming you won't really notice a difference in speeds.

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Speaking of SSD's

1TB SSD discounted to $300

250GB SSD for $95

the 250GB is faster, but if you just do gaming you won't really notice a difference in speeds.
    Holy shit, I may have to buy that out of principle.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yeah, I'd get the 250GB in a heartbeat if they shipped that stuff to Poland, lol.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    Yeah, I'd get the 250GB in a heartbeat if they shipped that stuff to Poland, lol.
    https://bongous.com/
    http://www.myus.com/
    https://www.usglobalmail.com/
    Problem solved

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

So how hard is it to actually build a PC? I's scurred.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

So how hard is it to actually build a PC? I's scurred.
    I did my first one in 2010 having nothing but the internet to guide me and no background in computers. Posted the very first boot; only issue was that I had too much thermal paste on the CPU (they're not kidding when they say to only use a drop). Reseated the CPU and it's been going strong since with only GPU upgrades and swapping out hard drives after one failed and the other got fucked by a flood (long story). A larger SSD is tempting though; think I paid like $250 for an 80GB Samsung SSD in 2010.

My one big suggestion: do not be cheap on your power supply or motherboard, the latter in particular. Having to swap out your motherboard is a freaking pain in the ass; you basically have to rebuild your PC for all intents and purposes.

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I've recently built my first pc. It's time consuming but actually okay. It's useful to have another device you can watch you tube videos on to check out shit you don't quite understand.

Otherwise is mostly just fiddly. I suggest a small LED torch and buying the small adaptor thing which allows you to plug in all the front of case cables into it and then into your motherboard.

It's a kit which you have to handle carefully.

Something like pc part picker will help you buy compatible bits of kit.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Eldelphia View Post
    and buying the small adaptor thing which allows you to plug in all the front of case cables into it and then into your motherboard.
    Unfortunately the mobos I've dealt with don't seem to follow a standard for how the pin layout is on that bit. Just have to pray the mobo you buy comes with the block to save you five minutes of fiddling in such a cramp space.

The real fun of building a PC for the first time is worrying that you'll snap your CPU in half securing it in with the lever. That crunching sound goodness. Doesn't hurt to look up guides on PSU cable management as well if you don't spring extra for the modular kit.

I'm probably going to have to upgrade my GPU for 3.0. Game runs 60 most of the time outside of busy locations on my aged 460, but I'm not running 1080p+, and I don't know how the DX11 eye-candy will stress it.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

My 2c concerning GPU:

GTX970 is currently a remarkably efficient card from a PPI standpoint. $330-$400 depending on the manufacturer/PCB, and quite strong for that price point. 10-15% better at stock than a GTX780, OC'd 780 can press a reference 970, but then you go into overclocking the 970 and realize that, on average, those chips OC nearly effortlessly to double the maximum of a 780. Add in less heat and power consumption and, well... yeah. Excellent GPU, especially if you decide later on to stick in a second one (Maxwell chips scale 10-30% more effectively in SLI than Kepler/Fermi).

One downside, though: the last 512MB of VRAM on a 970 runs off of a significantly slower bus than the first 3.5k. This means that if you go above 3.5k MB of VRAM often (which is... hard to do and I'd question exactly wtf it is you're doing), you will experience slowdowns as the slower VRAM is accessed. Still faster than if you cap out on VRAM entirely and the GPU needs to try to slug its way over to system memory, but worth considering if you're like... idk, running 3 4k displays in surround with extreme ultra textures on some game. Needless to say XIV won't encounter this issue.

Also worth noting: DX11 is extremely likely to improve your framerate rather than decrease it. Turning on some of the more advanced settings like improved environmental and actor shading may cause some stress, but the API itself runs much better on modern hardware, and streamlining the workload away from the CPU and onto the GPU will improve things as well. Less stress on the CPU will actually improve the performance of certain settings such as reflections (including the new ones coming with DX11) and character LoD/quantity (i.e., better performance in larger groups).

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    My 2c concerning GPU:

GTX970 is currently a remarkably efficient card from a PPI standpoint. $330-$400 depending on the manufacturer/PCB, and quite strong for that price point. 10-15% better at stock than a GTX780, OC'd 780 can press a reference 970, but then you go into overclocking the 970 and realize that, on average, those chips OC nearly effortlessly to double the maximum of a 780. Add in less heat and power consumption and, well... yeah. Excellent GPU, especially if you decide later on to stick in a second one (Maxwell chips scale 10-30% more effectively in SLI than Kepler/Fermi).

One downside, though: the last 512MB of VRAM on a 970 runs off of a significantly slower bus than the first 3.5k. This means that if you go above 3.5k MB of VRAM often (which is... hard to do and I'd question exactly wtf it is you're doing), you will experience slowdowns as the slower VRAM is accessed. Still faster than if you cap out on VRAM entirely and the GPU needs to try to slug its way over to system memory, but worth considering if you're like... idk, running 3 4k displays in surround with extreme ultra textures on some game. Needless to say XIV won't encounter this issue.

Also worth noting: DX11 is extremely likely to improve your framerate rather than decrease it. Turning on some of the more advanced settings like improved environmental and actor shading may cause some stress, but the API itself runs much better on modern hardware, and streamlining the workload away from the CPU and onto the GPU will improve things as well. Less stress on the CPU will actually improve the performance of certain settings such as reflections (including the new ones coming with DX11) and character LoD/quantity (i.e., better performance in larger groups).
    My brain hurts

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

tl;dr GTX970 is really gud and if you don't have $550-600 to drop on its bigger brother (980) it's a really phenomenal card for the cost.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

My brain hurts
    Probably want to post how much you can spend, and have people suggest a system (and or system upgrade)

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Probably want to post how much you can spend, and have people suggest a system (and or system upgrade)
    lol I was partially being silly, because it was numbers I'm just not used to comprehending (living in a console world for so long)

But I did put this together on Cyberpower PC, and when I parted it out, it was actually cheaper to get it premade like this and its around my pricerange, the only thing is adding the avermedia live gamer card:

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1GXT5X