1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 3 hours, 13 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 20 hours, 46 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 20 hours, 13 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 13 hours, 46 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: System upgrade for 3.0     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

If you're going to be using this for streaming/rendering(or anything really D: ) like you said earlier, an FX6300 is going to be a pretty weak CPU. Would go with a 3770 or 4770 (if there's a k at the end of either, it means it's unlocked and can be overclocked. not important unless you want to tinker) from Intel for the best performance when it comes to rendering, but if you want to do it on a limited budget the minimum I'd go for is a AMD 8320, 8350, or 8370. The i7s will be superior by a fairly wide margin (4770 beats all of AMD's offerings up to the much more expensive 9590), but with power comes cost.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Yeah you'll want to find a build with intel, cyberpower apparently doesn't offer intel on that prebuild page

I don't do live streaming myself, but I'm presuming its most likely CPU powered considering what you stream has to be "encoded" small enough to stream at whatever setting you have to stream at.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Kaslo, go the built route. Prebuilds have misleading specs to make you think it's a great gaming computer, only to find out later that you have to upgrade just about everything. The FX 6300 is what I run right now, and it can handle the game, but it is a bottleneck.

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I would agree, building will get your more PC for your money. What I did was look around for recommendations for each part. So I built a fairly budget-mid range machine and looked for reviews of CPUs, motherboards and GPUs first. Everything is designed to slot together and it's fairly hard to completely screw up.

Make sure your motherboard is supported by risers - it doesn't screw directly into the case.
    Some cases have 'cable management'. What this means is they are designed so there's a decent gap behind the mobo and there are holes cut through the structure of the case which allow you to thread you cables through tidily
    SSDs make the biggest difference
    Installing a CPU is not nearly as scary as I thought
    It's quite hard to mess up, the connections for your cables are designed to only let things go in one way

The whole thing is a kit. So you buy an optical drive, it needs to be connected to the mobo and to your power supply
    Same with the hard drives. All the cables allow you Graphic card and memory slot in to set places. The mobo connects to your power supply in 2 places. Many cases come with fans which you just plugin.

If you can replace memory sticks or switch out the graphics card, you can do it.

I really recommend https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/ (there's a US version too). You can get some ideas from there.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

When I got my PC about 2 years ago, I had the case come with the motherboard and cpu already attached, that stuff can be a pain in the ass to put in properly at times, and its easy to fuckup a pin too >.> (that and the creaking noises when screwing in a motherboard is kinda like ehhhh)

I used this site to have "some" of the PC built, its not expensive when i last used it.
    http://portatech.com/products/category.cshtml?id=1239

also I used pricewatch.com and newegg.com to get the rest of my PC parts.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Eldelphia View Post
    I would agree, building will get your more PC for your money. What I did was look around for recommendations for each part. So I built a fairly budget-mid range machine and looked for reviews of CPUs, motherboards and GPUs first. Everything is designed to slot together and it's fairly hard to completely screw up.

Make sure your motherboard is supported by risers - it doesn't screw directly into the case.
    Some cases have 'cable management'. What this means is they are designed so there's a decent gap behind the mobo and there are holes cut through the structure of the case which allow you to thread you cables through tidily
    SSDs make the biggest difference
    Installing a CPU is not nearly as scary as I thought
    It's quite hard to mess up, the connections for your cables are designed to only let things go in one way

The whole thing is a kit. So you buy an optical drive, it needs to be connected to the mobo and to your power supply
    Same with the hard drives. All the cables allow you Graphic card and memory slot in to set places. The mobo connects to your power supply in 2 places. Many cases come with fans which you just plugin.

If you can replace memory sticks or switch out the graphics card, you can do it.

I really recommend https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/ (there's a US version too). You can get some ideas from there.
    Thanks! I like this site a lot more than others I've seen!

Looking through it, I'm now considering something like this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6pdtBm

Debating if I really need the WiFi card/Optical drive to start off. I could likely add those in easily later.

Could just use the ones from your current machine, I can't remember the last time I used my disc drive tbh.

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    Could just use the ones from your current machine, I can't remember the last time I used my disc drive tbh.
    I currently have an iMac

Hissssssssssssssssssssss

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Hissssssssssssssssssssss
    But really, I don't see needing an optical for awhile, and I can move my modem/router to the room where my computer is for the time being.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Hissssssssssssssssssssss
    O_o

speaking of which on my PC... I don't have a floppy or a CD/DVD/BD drive either for years now...

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I got a bluray reader/everything else writer as I don't have a console or anything else to play bluray on and I wanted to grab the soundtrack mp 3 files from the two I've bought from SE

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Can you guys recommend a hardware setup for a desktop to just run FFXIV with WIN 7? I just need mother board, cpu and, gpu. I'm looking to spend 300-500$. Something middle of the road ish. So many different options!

I don't want SLI/crossfire. Open to AMD stuff. Do want sata/6gb on the mother board though.

I have all the other stuff/can figure it out.

Could you run FFXIV and WIN 7 on a 128GB SSD comfortably?

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

For that kind of budget you might be better off looking for a deal on Craigslist or something

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthars Menethil
    FFXIV Server
    Chocobo
    FFXI Server
    Odin

isnt streaming based on internet speed? on both the host and audience

for example im living in SG, and i swear to god, when i watch some people stream with their super high end shit, it buffer every 2-3 sec its so annoying i dont wanna continue watching

optimizing streaming is another issue i guess, not really much to do with PC... for example when i stream i have to stream in slightly lower quality so peep from EU and NA can watch them properly w/o much buffering

unless your only targeting local audience for your stream, then by all means

for international crowd.... its a whole new optimizing ball game

streaming consistency >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> quality

of course, not 8bit type of stream pls

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    tl;dr GTX970 is really gud and if you don't have $550-600 to drop on its bigger brother (980) it's a really phenomenal card for the cost.
    I would be very careful on getting this card, the 970. A friend got it on a z77 board and it refused to recognize it. Unless your using a z97 board or newer it seems to be a fairly common issues with this card. We did bios flashing. Updating, cmos reset and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthars View Post

for example im living in SG, and i swear to god, when i watch some people stream with their super high end shit, it buffer every 2-3 sec its so annoying i dont wanna continue watching

optimizing streaming is another issue i guess, not really much to do with PC... for example when i stream i have to stream in slightly lower quality so peep from EU and NA can watch them properly w/o much buffering

Streaming is largely based on your cpu and in some instances your gpu. The higher the rate you stream at the more intense the stress on your cpu. When you fo over 30 fps you'll notice a dip, when you go above 720p you'll notice a dip. Then therees the cpu preset that compresees the quality more the the slower you put it. If you tinker with this while you have a high bitrate outgoing you wil notice a drastic drop in performance. Even with an i7 1080p will rock your shit and the only way to do 1080 and get decent quality at 30 fps is roughly around a 4k upload. Anything past 4000kbps twitch considers ddosing. You can get higher quality uploads for lower bitrate for setting tweaking with the preset but uploading that much and compressing it further eats at your cpu.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by Arthars View Post

Well of course internet speed, higher quality requires more bandwidth, but its also more cpu power.

Looking up a random guide on streaming

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/tech...-quality-guide

Here's some very rough example bitrates you should be looking at for a nice quality stream at 25 FPS (these will vary depending on encoder used and other factors, with XSplit you can get away with a lower bitrate for the same quality for example):

480p (720x480): 750-1000kbps
    720p (1280x720): 1500-3000kbps
    1080p (1920x1080): 3000-5000kbps+
    CPU Usage
    Here comes the fun part. Streaming requires lots of CPU. So does SC2. If you stream at too high a quality, both your stream and your game will start to lag. You need to find a balance between quality and how much the stream impacts your game performance.

First, if you have anything less than a quad core processor, you may as well forget about streaming in any kind of decent quality for now. SC2 itself can easily almost max out a dual core CPU, leaving no room for streaming.

Ideal CPUs:
    Core i5 2500k / i7 2600k
    Core i5 / i7 8xx / 9xx Series
    AMD Phenom X4 / X6
    Old guide, but you can find many others that mention a heavy stress on CPU the more quality you want to output and also the GPU (I'm sure stream software can make use of GPU power by now, never actually streamed myself so dunno)

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I just ascended a month ago with my first build. I went the i5 4690k, Msi Z97-G45, and GTX 960. I'm currently in queue on the step up to go to the GTX 970 ftw +. The 960 had no problems with 60+ fps until I added a third monitor at 1080 and Nvidia Surround was not an option as the fps was below 60, but I did get to demo it. That's what convinced me to upgrade.

My i5 4690k OC'd to 4.5 @ 1.25v and peaks at 69/70 degrees on Aida64 with the Evo Hyper 212 air cooler. I'm happy with the choice.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by LinktheDeme View Post
    I would be very careful on getting this card, the 970. A friend got it on a z77 board and it refused to recognize it. Unless your using a z97 board or newer it seems to be a fairly common issues with this card. We did bios flashing. Updating, cmos reset and everything.
    that's an issue with the motherboard, not the GPU. 970 is completely compatible with that chipset. I would know, one of my PCs is running an SLI 970 config with a z77 chip. what kind of board is it?

For streaming, CPU speed/strength is most important, particularly if you're not streaming via ShadowPlay. This is also an extremely important metric when it comes to video production, which ShadowPlay does not really help with outside of recording the video itself.

Normally, the CPU is the component that encodes the video to be small enough to stream.
    Afterwards, the streamer's upload speed and the viewer's download speed come into play.

ShadowPlay attempts to eliminate the first part. Onboard h.264 encoders work on the video nearly independently from the GPU and CPU; this reduces the load on your CPU considerably while still retaining a stream-size bitrate and good video quality. Since things like extreme intel i7 processors likely aren't an option here, I'd always recommend going with a mid-high-range CPU (like the previously suggested 3770 or 4770) for video production and using ShadowPlay for streaming. 3770 and 4770 would be completely capable of streaming as well, but it'd take some doing to match SP's quality. Keep in mind that ShadowPlay is an nVidia branded application, and as such you need an nVidia GPU to use it. AMD has a similar thing now, but I have never used it and can't give an accurate assessment on its value.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast