1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 4 hours, 31 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 19 hours, 28 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 21 hours, 31 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 12 hours, 28 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: System upgrade for 3.0     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Spiel Mit'mir
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

So question for my fellow BG'ers. I used to have a GTX670, which ran FFXIV great. I'm looking to get a GTX970 or GTX980. For the extra $~200, is it really worth it for me to go all out for the 980? Keep in mind FFXIV will probably be the most demanding thing I run on this PC.

I've currently got a i5 2500k overclocked @4.4ghz,
    8GB ram,
    SSDs 120GBx2 (one for windows/programs other for games),
    2TB WD green drive (movies and stuff)
    I also run a 2 monitor + TV set up
    650W PSU

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkeeva View Post
    When I got my PC about 2 years ago, I had the case come with the motherboard and cpu already attached, that stuff can be a pain in the ass to put in properly at times, and its easy to fuckup a pin too >.> (that and the creaking noises when screwing in a motherboard is kinda like ehhhh)
    D; this makes me cringe as my current job has me building custom machines all day and shipping them out, if you're uncertain how tight you should be screwing in the motherboard to the standoff screws, its about until its snug, you don't ever really want to over tighten them as it can lead to the board flexing and when put under load for a long time can lead to defects in some of the circuit paths. I've also had heard boards snap on me because they were tightened just a bit too tightly.

Once you've put together roughly 500 PCs you're not really afraid of anything that can go wrong, provided you have an anti-static strap somewhere on your body(mine usually on ankle) handling all the components is not stressful at all, I also suggest if anyone is into doing their own builds if you're going a standard airflow build with no form of water cooling, build it outside of the case. I prefer to build mine on the motherboard box itself as it makes for a great anti-static surface, I'll even power it up on the box itself to make sure everything will work before getting getting everything tucked away and cable management done. You could do your build on top of the anti-static bag the motherboard comes with but I would never power it up while it is on that bag as the bag could carry a charge on its surface and short everything out, I.. unfortunately have first had experience with this.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Spieler View Post
    So question for my fellow BG'ers. I used to have a GTX670, which ran FFXIV great. I'm looking to get a GTX970 or GTX980. For the extra $~200, is it really worth it for me to go all out for the 980? Keep in mind FFXIV will probably be the most demanding thing I run on this PC.
    If you have the money to spend, yes. With the 980 you're getting that final 512MB of VRAM on a higher speed bus and around a 15-25% increase in raw performance over a gtx970. The PPI is lower, but you're getting a lot out of the upgrade anyway. Otherwise, getting 1 970 now and buying a second 970 to SLI later when you've got more cash isn't a bad option either, but you'd need a new power supply for that too. Straight up single 970 is more than sufficient for XIV though.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthars Menethil
    FFXIV Server
    Chocobo
    FFXI Server
    Odin

my internet speed cannot support more than 1600 kbps....

thats why i cannot stream that high quality to begin with

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Speaking of SSD's...

There is one for about $70.00 for a 240GB SSD using promo code EMCARNN22 and using the $20 rebate

Isn't too bad of a SSD either, according to benchmarks
    http://techreport.com/review/26905/o...ive-reviewed/3

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    that's an issue with the motherboard, not the GPU. 970 is completely compatible with that chipset. I would know, one of my PCs is running an SLI 970 config with a z77 chip. what kind of board is it?
    It's an MSI board ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130643 ), EVGA card, but if you do some research a lot of people have been having with that card in particular. (I think its the 970 FTW) While it is compatible and people have gotten it to work, for some reason a fair bit of the 970 cards have been having issues with multiple boards (even read some z97's have issues with it). It seems like the compatibility wasn't fully tested prior to release. Unless it's a really vocal minority a lot of the places I have done research with have had that issue with the card. It's the most issues I've read about with a card in a long while. The most common fix was a re-installation of windows and/or a CMOS reset. Also before you asked (Yes, I've tried reseating the card on multiple slots, CMOS, BIOS update, reinstallation of windows, RMA'd the card, etc etc. The only way I actually got the card to be recognized temporarily was to install the driver while having my GTX 560 TI in turned it off swapped to it during the initial stages of monkeying with it. Put the 970 in, it was finally detected. Did a fresh reinstallation of drivers to be safe and then during this time period it stopped being detected. That was the closest I got. If you can get the card to work its a pretty good bang for your buck otherwise I'd beware.)

edit: I should probably state I'm not trying to argue. I'm just trying to do due diligence for someone that might be less computer savy, run into the issue, nd end up with a headache and potentially breaking something because they don't know how to properly run through the steps >_>

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

You guys making me want to get a 970 now... but $300 is a bit more than I feel ok with spending since I have essentially the same pc as spieler up there but with a 660ti that is doing an admirable job given its age.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Speaking of SSD's...

There is one for about $70.00 for a 240GB SSD using promo code EMCARNN22 and using the $20 rebate

Isn't too bad of a SSD either, according to benchmarks
    http://techreport.com/review/26905/o...ive-reviewed/3
    Where is this SSD at?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Looks like a newegg code to me.

e: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...m-_-20-228-116

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post
    Where is this SSD at?
    opps forgot to include that but yeah Purrrrfect (why a dog avatar!) posted a link to it

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

http://valid.x86.fr/th8img Fairly old build but I did it for $570ish ignoring monitor/speakers and such as I have em. What would be best for upgrading? Aside GPU since I gave my gf the better GPU (was a 4gb version :l )

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

So um... dumb question. How do you install Windows without an optical drive?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...-download-tool

You can make a Windows-bootable thumb drive.

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I'm guessing I will need to do that on my work laptop considering I only have OSX at home?

Oh, yea I would assume so.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Anyone play FFXIV in 4k (3840 x 2160)? Currently play with a 970 at 2560x1600 and the game is smooth on high with no issues. Wondering how much it would drop if I got a 40" monitor at 4k res.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

From what I hear from someone else playing at 5K on a 970, they said theirs really no lag/plays at 60fps except in mor dhona with a lot of people (if HDR is on, says around 40-45fps, 60 without)

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by aldo View Post
    Anyone play FFXIV in 4k (3840 x 2160)? Currently play with a 970 at 2560x1600 and the game is smooth on high with no issues. Wondering how much it would drop if I got a 40" monitor at 4k res.
    Are you looking at that Phillips 40" monitor (BDM4065UC/00)?

(Just curious because those are the specs it has, and I'm thinking about one myself)

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

From what I hear from someone else playing at 5K on a 970, they said theirs really no lag/plays at 60fps except in mor dhona with a lot of people (if HDR is on, says around 40-45fps, 60 without)
    Thanks. I know some other games will chug at 4k so good to know FFXIV won't as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    Are you looking at that Phillips 40" monitor (BDM4065UC/00)?

(Just curious because those are the specs it has, and I'm thinking about one myself)
    I am looking at the Phillips 40", the Samsung 40" (JU6500), and also this Korean Mango Wasabi 42" http://www.wasabimango.co.kr/bbs/boa...uct_1&wr_id=30.

The Philips and Samsungs are VA panels and both have their quirks (there are huge threads on the hardocp forums for both). (Also look at the Crossover 44k as it uses the same panel as the Phillips.) The Mango is IPS (which I prefer by quite a bit) and uses the new LG panels which are getting good reviews. I would pretty much buy the MW one right now but you'd have to import from Korea and any sort of warranty or return would be a huge hassle so I'm hesitant.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Casca Wolftamer
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by aldo View Post
    I am looking at the Phillips 40", the Samsung 40" (JU6500), and also this Korean Mango Wasabi 42" http://www.wasabimango.co.kr/bbs/boa...uct_1&wr_id=30.

The Philips and Samsungs are VA panels and both have their quirks (there are huge threads on the hardocp forums for both). (Also look at the Crossover 44k as it uses the same panel as the Phillips.) The Mango is IPS (which I prefer by quite a bit) and uses the new LG panels which are getting good reviews. I would pretty much buy the MW one right now but you'd have to import from Korea and any sort of warranty or return would be a huge hassle so I'm hesitant.
    Just make sure the 4K tv you get dont have too much lag, I've read that 4k tv got quite a bit more lag than 1080p one. I could see it beeing troublesome in ff14 seeing how the battle are designed.

As for myself I play in 1440p with sli gtx970 and sometimes on boss fight or in busy zone I do see framerate drop around 30-40 fps. Playing wiht everything maxed with a i7 4790k, 2 msi gaming gtx970, 16 ram and a gsync 1440p screen.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast