1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 16 hours, 47 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 7 hours, 12 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 9 hours, 47 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 5 days, 0 hours, 12 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: System upgrade for 3.0     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

check your mobo for what type of CPU socket you have, you might be able to upgrade to an i5
    CPU you should look at the GTX 960, its only a 200 dollar card and solid
    SSDS ARE FUCKING AMAZING

OP was modded away, but talk about your system upgrades and things you want to do to make your XIV experience moar bettererer.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by starfish.sky View Post
    HDD: is SSD worth? or is 7200 RPM normal Disk still ok with a lot of ram?

any advice appretiated!
    You want a SSD. There's no real question about it. If you need a lot of storage space (you mentioned video-editing) you can get a secondary HDD, Grab a (ideally 256 GB or more) SSD. you can fit FFXIV 2.0 and Windows on a 128 GB, but you won't have zOMG space to spare, and won't really be equipped for 3.0 (which, granted, I dont' think we know the size of yet?).

Might as well go 16GB RAM, the price jump shouldn't be that massive, but if you need to pinch, 8GB will probably carry you a while, and you can upgrade later.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I don't know what kind of price you're wanting to cap yourself at but some suggestions

i7 5820k is a pretty beastly processor, I've got mine OC'd to 4.7k without any heat issues. However mine is being liquid cooled so there is that.

For RAM you could go with whatever you have felt worked best in the past, for myself its always been Corsair, DDR4 not really needed but might as well grab it if the price point is in your favor, it doesn't hurt to run around with 16GB of the stuff either. You'll thank yourself the more RAM you have to play with. (~$120 for DDR3, and ~$180-200 for DDR4)

GTX960 is a decent card as mentioned above, but if you can fork out a little extra cash you can squeeze in an extra 2GB into your card with the 970, even with the card having 3.5GB of good ram and 512MB of slower RAM it is very much worth having it. ($320~350 is what I see at a quick look around without looking for the good deals, 960 if you're not looking to spend a little more for that QoL VRAM will run you between $200-240)

You will notice a significant speed increase by having an SSD in your machine to be your primary boot drive, and to store games on it that actually benefit from having an SSD, 128MB can do you the justice you need if you're a small time gamer, but 256GB is personally the minimum I would limit myself to for a boot and minor storage device. Don't skip out for some off band or short hand brand SSD because quality does matter, personally I prefer Samsung and for 128GB you can get one for roughly $90.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

I recently upgraded my GPU for the first time in almost 5 years and noticed barely any difference between lowest and max settings. So I wouldn't suggest spending a lot of money.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Something very strange happened to this thread, like it was split in half... or someone was drunk and deleted half of it.

Anyway If you got a new GPU and not noticing much of a FPS increase, it means you need to be upgrading the CPU. The game is probably 50-60% cpu powered and 50-60% GPU powered.

I know my GPU is holding me back atm since my cpu is 4.8Ghz i7 3770K and ffxiv runs it around 10-20% while the GPU sits at 100% usage.

Holding out to decide on the ATi 390X or the 980 Ti, the rumor mill on the 390X showing its benchmarks are better then the Titan X and far cheaper is very tempting. Considering its using a new memory technology its hard to really tell if the benchmarks are truth or not because of only 1 single source of the info...

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

OP deleted his original post asking for help on what to get as an upgrade for his system.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Valar Morghulis
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkeeva View Post
    Something very strange happened to this thread, like it was split in half... or someone was drunk and deleted half of it.
    Some guy came through this morning and posted a whole bunch of crap (trying to hit 10+ posts?) but everything that once was is... well, gone. I thought when people were banned/deleted/whatever that their posts at least remained. He had also bumped a year+ old post which I replied to him in, but now his post is gone so it looks like I did it -_-

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

This topic actually scared me when it comes to disc space. My SSD currently has like 30GB free and I'm definitely not upgrading it for Heavensward so I hope it's enough >.>. Not sure where I can get more space although I'm not even sure what is taking up the rest, lol.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

I thought this was just unsolicited general advice. like "hey, you can upgrade to an i5, random people of the board - did you know this?"

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    This topic actually scared me when it comes to disc space. My SSD currently has like 30GB free and I'm definitely not upgrading it for Heavensward so I hope it's enough >.>. Not sure where I can get more space although I'm not even sure what is taking up the rest, lol.
    Probably want to use something like CCleaner and see if theirs a lot of temp crap sitting around, then check programs folder and see what all kinds of junk is installed and work from there.

3.0 will probably be 5-10GB+ probably adding all the areas, models, new race, zones etc

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ellatrix Reatori
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

http://www.steffengerlach.de/freeware/

This is my favorite little utility to figure out where space is being taken up.

You can also check this out: http://steamcleaner.tikione.org/en/

And http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Turn off hibernation and delete the hibernation file. Also lower the page file as well. That usually clears up a couple of precious gigs for small ssds.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Probably want to use something like CCleaner and see if theirs a lot of temp crap sitting around, then check programs folder and see what all kinds of junk is installed and work from there.

3.0 will probably be 5-10GB+ probably adding all the areas, models, new race, zones etc
    Yeah, I use CCleaner all the time. Will definitely check out the other stuff recommended above, thanks guys.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Don't forget to upgrade your monitor also. 1440p or better

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthars Menethil
    FFXIV Server
    Chocobo
    FFXI Server
    Odin

my PC is build to play FFXIV 1.0

till date its still running like a beast...

its only like i7 first gen and 8gb ram

i do have a GTX 970 tho

i also dual box all day everyday w/o noticing any fps drop

you dont have to spend too much for ARR really

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xanthe Celaeno
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

The DX11 client is also supposed to shift a lot of the processing from CPU to GPU, at least from what has been stated. A 64-bit client will also be nice for allocating more memory.

System restore points are a common culprit, double check your settings for it.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
    The DX11 client is also supposed to shift a lot of the processing from CPU to GPU, at least from what has been stated. A 64-bit client will also be nice for allocating more memory.
    won't be too much of a difference I imagine, just a small speed boost of probably like 3-5fps for most people, especially if it goes 64bit client. ( at least it was like that for world of warcraft for me back in the day).

Would be nice if they went DX12, considering it'll be out around the time Windows 10 is out (anyone actually try FFXIV on windows 10?). DX12 would be like 200-250% fps increase for all compatible video cards.

Hoping to see some 390X/980 Ti benchmarks by then to decide on which to buy...

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

from what they said the DX11 client will actually be separate so there will be another XIV install.
    Im considering getting a nice samsung Pro SSD just for XIV, would only need to be 120g and it can sit there and look pretty while keeping XIV and maybe one or two other games on it

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Actually, according to the Letter from the Producer LIVE - Special Edition Digest the expansion will be somewhere around 20gb it seems.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast