1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 1 hours, 14 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 22 hours, 45 minutes
    Last weekly reset was -6 hours, -46 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 6 days, 15 hours, 45 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: System upgrade for 3.0     submit to reddit submit to twitter

THE FAIRY CAT
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Snoctopus Snoctopus
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Deader2818 View Post
    So i was wondering if just upgrading my graphics card would be enough. I know my card sucks (GeForce GTX 550 ti) but is my processor ok? currently have AMD FX (tm) - 6100 Six core Processor 3.30 GHz
    I can't speak to FFXIV in particular, but with Guild Wars 2 the AMD FX-6100 was a huge bottleneck, so much so that between a 550ti and and a GTX 660 I didn't see a noticeable performance jump. MMOs tend to be more CPU intensive than other genres, and the single-thread performance on the fx-6100 isn't too hot.

Depending on your budget, a jump to one of the nicer current gen i3 chips along with a GTX 750ti would likely be a pretty solid upgrade for around $300 total, assuming you get a motherboard/cpu bundle. This would leave you with the freedom to move to a faster i5 down the road if you were feeling like you wanted to get more performance, as at that point you'd already be on an intel board.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by Deader2818 View Post
    So i was wondering if just upgrading my graphics card would be enough. I know my card sucks (GeForce GTX 550 ti) but is my processor ok? currently have AMD FX (tm) - 6100 Six core Processor 3.30 GHz
    It can be hard to say

use a program like HWINFO
    set it to sensors

run the game, and see what is maxing out. If the video card is running 100% and the, that means the video card is bottlenecking the game most likely. If its below 100%, then its most likely the cpu. Best to test using a area with a lot of people.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raiya Li'aurellia
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Managed to get my 3 year old laptop upgraded for cheap (when you consider the good ones cost a ton to get! Have an Alienware M18Xr2 and it had dual GTX675M's. Managed to source a pair of GTX980M's on for it. After the hell of installing the parts including the thermal pads and getting the drivers going I ran the benchmark. Old Score was 5300ish.... new score.... +/-12k depending on the drivers (laptop drivers are not fun with customised hardware expecially with driver signing and nvidia driver installation being a pain).

Techy Stuff!
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro
    Version 6.3.9600 Build 9600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name M18XR2
    System Manufacturer Alienware
    System Model M18xR2
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU M18xR2
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3920XM CPU @ 2.90GHz, 3093 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Alienware A12, 13/09/2013
    SMBIOS Version 2.7
    Embedded Controller Version 1.01
    BIOS Mode UEFI
    BaseBoard Manufacturer Alienware
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.3.9600.17196"
    Time Zone GMT Summer Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
    Total Physical Memory 31.9 GB
    Available Physical Memory 29.2 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 63.9 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 60.7 GB
    Page File Space 32.0 GB
    HDD Type: Samsung Evo 850 SSD x3

My Laptop is ready! (Only cost me €1600 for the damn cards + delivery too ._.)

Now if only I could find a pair of Titan X's for my main desktop. Desktop has a pair of GTX690's but the new UHD monitor I have is pushing them pretty hard. Trying to find them titan x's everywhere but seems everyone is buying them up like mad atm amazon and even the damn OEM's themselves like EVGA keep selling out and have a 1x card limit :/.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Can buy one of these
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-130-_-Product

and then 1 of these
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-129-_-Product

both in stock and nearly the same price, and 2 different items so they allow you to buy it (if your crazy enough to want to buy 2 anyway!)

Waiting for the 980 Ti/390X which is next month (to be shown off at computex on June 1/2) and possibly sold the same month~

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raiya Li'aurellia
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkeeva View Post
    Can buy one of these
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-130-_-Product

and then 1 of these
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-129-_-Product

both in stock and nearly the same price, and 2 different items so they allow you to buy it (if your crazy enough to want to buy 2 anyway!)

Waiting for the 980 Ti/390X which is next month (to be shown off at computex on June 1/2) and possibly sold the same month~
    Well theyre out on stock when you want em shipped to EU :C Only noticed the 2 potential cards you mentioned there just now. Might be worth waiting out a lil longer for them. Dunno bout the AMD as I dont know if it will work on my motherboard (DX79TO with i7-3960x CPU). 980 ti looks like a potential expecially since I would be leaning towards a 2xSLI setup and be less pricy in return for less GPU RAM.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

*sneaks in*

If you've been holding back on buying a SSD for your PC because of the affordability of large SSD drives, there is a sale now going on for a big one O_o

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OBRFFAS
    1TB SSD Samsung 850 Evo for about $340

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Sort of relevant for the curious maybe (I was) for a system upgrade for 3.0

The Nvidia 980 Ti is out and for $650
    http://wccftech.com/gtx-980-ti-offic...arks-revealed/

Has a benchmark for the 980 Ti at 2560x1600 on FFXIV. Considering its maximum FPS...? (maybe average?) its safe to say FFXIV on ultra at 3860x2160 will be well above 60fps on maximum settings even in fates with hundreds of people... on a single video card. It may be a few weeks before we see the Radeon Fury, the fastest from AMD however... ;/

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Not sure where to put this, this seemed like the closest thread. I heard about all the cool things about And decided to look into it, since when I log into FFXIV, the play button only has Direct X 9.0 listed, but as I looked deeper into my computer, apparently I already have it downloaded and installed. How come FFXIV isn't using it?

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

On the ffxiv log in screen click config, and turn on direct x 11 support.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Thanks, it worked!

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Holy shit.... turning it back off.... shit just turned into an old time motion picture flick.. O.O

The graphics settings for the DX9 and DX11 versions are separate, if you logged in with the DX11 version you'd need to go into the graphics config and change them to what you want, by default most things are set to high I believe.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7