+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast
    A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

It depends on how they do it and the battle system. If, in the harder difficulty setting, monsters just end up Hulk-smashing the AI controlled characters, then adding more battle characters makes things a big headache.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

New Details
    • Within the series timeline, there are a lot of stories still untold. So for this game, they decided to tell the story between Star Ocean 2 and Star Ocean 3.
    • There are fans that think a sequel to Star Ocean 3 would be difficult to do, but if properly considered, it can be done.
    • The story concept is included in the subtitle “Integrity and Faithlessness.” The subtitle was decided before the scenario was even written.
    • tri-Ace’s Gotanda wanted to make the original Star Ocean 100-percent sci-fi, but that idea was abandoned as it was pointed out that it wouldn’t sell if it had no fantasy elements.
    • Producer Kobayashi points out that the main, numbered Star Ocean games have an odd number of protagonists with blue hair (1, 3, 5) and an even number of protagonists with blond hair (2, 4).
    • The protagonist Fidel is 23 years-old, but Gotanda originally wanted to make an even older protagonist. But considering the story of Star Ocean 5, 23 felt more natural, and they didn’t want to tell a story about “a young boy who saves the world.”
    • The title, logo, and character models have returned to the style seen in Star Ocean 1, 2, and 3. This also includes the platform choice. They wanted to bring the game out on the platforms that fans of the series expected to see it on. (It wasn’t just sensationalism, there was actual marketing research done, as well.)
    • Private actions, branching affection rating-related events, and item creation will return. However, not in the same form and optimized for Star Ocean 5. They’re looking for a way to make item creation not too complicated.
    • Although Japanese RPGs often have cut-scenes that interrupt the game, Star Ocean 5‘s events occur seamlessly on the field. However, that doesn’t mean there aren’t any cutscenes at all. Some cut-scenes are necessary to produce a dramatic story.
    • When you encounter an enemy on the field, the area becomes a battlefield without change or transition. Battle gameplay feels similar to battles from Infinite Undiscovery. You get the sense that Infinite Undiscovery‘s base system was replaced with Star Ocean‘s. Infinite Undiscovery‘s combat had an MMORPG-like complexity, but for Star Ocean 5 they’re adjusting each element and making it more intuitive to play.
    • Once you enter battle, the viewpoint will automatically change from the field camera to the battle camera that follows the back of the character. You’ll also be able to freely adjust the camera.
    • More than six characters can participate together in battle. For Star Ocean 5, they wanted to have battles with a large number of people, so they’re implementing a system to allow this. That said, it doesn’t change the basic feel of battle, so special controls are not necessary. You won’t be required to always be aware of each character’s HP.
    • Players can set strategies for AI characters.
    • The UI showcased in the trailer is different from that in the actual game, as there are a lot of things still hidden.
    • Keeping in line with the game’s concept of “seamless” gameplay, your party members will always be displayed on-screen, both while moving and during battle, and you won’t have to choose which members participate in battle, as they all will. However, you won’t always be in a large group, as your party varies depending on how far along you are in the story.
    • “Naturally, I also want to do Star Ocean 6 and Star Ocean 7,” Kobayashi said. “As long as there’s still room and ideas for new entries, we have a sense of duty to continue the series. Be that as it may, whether or not we can move forward with those is dependent upon the sales of Star Ocean 5.”
    http://gematsu.com/2015/07/star-ocea...-battle-system
    http://gamestalk.net/so5-2/
    http://www.4gamer.net/games/298/G029832/20150707080/

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Japan release date is February 25, 2016

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

boo this doesn't like it will have simultaneous worldwilde release

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tekni Wintersbane
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Mok'Nathal

Seven characters in battle. and yes definitely booooo on no mega release

Quote Originally Posted by Kachiko View Post
    It depends on how they do it and the battle system. If, in the harder difficulty setting, monsters just end up Hulk-smashing the AI controlled characters, then adding more battle characters makes things a big headache.
    If it's like any other SO game it'll probably be easier to do solo or with like 2-3 characters. Still, having all of them at once is hype and should be fun at least for normal settings. Getting hype for this, sounds like the only thing they'll probably ruin is story/characters.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    boo this doesn't like it will have simultaneous worldwilde release
    We still have 3 possible places to hear the NA & EU release dates. EGX later this month, PS Experience, & Game Awards.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Well, after a period where SE would announce something and take 3-10 years to release it, we now have Star Ocean where announce to release will be like 9 months.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    If it's like any other SO game it'll probably be easier to do solo or with like 2-3 characters. Still, having all of them at once is hype and should be fun at least for normal settings. Getting hype for this, sounds like the only thing they'll probably ruin is story/characters.
    Yeah, because potentially ruining 2 of the 3 main points of a Jrpg has me excited too.

I am actually excited for this though, even if it's trash (and I pray it isnt) I stand by my original though that at least SE is realizing they have other IP's aside from lightning and final fantasy.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Lets not stop and act like anyone ever played Star Ocean for the story, if you did... I'm sorry.
    The characters have been a mixed bag since day one as well.

I'm gonna assume you played SO2 and called it quits right there if you're even pretending this is an issue. Either way it goes, no way in the world the characters are gonna be worse than those in SO4 so its all good with me. Bring on the gameplay and I'll be happy. That's what keeps me coming back anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    Yeah, because potentially ruining 2 of the 3 main points of a Jrpg has me excited too.

I am actually excited for this though, even if it's trash (and I pray it isnt) I stand by my original though that at least SE is realizing they have other IP's aside from lightning and final fantasy.
    I didn't realise story and characters (which are a part of nearly every single video game or media thing) were main points to a game series. If you'd have asked me, I would've said battle system, character progression and exploration were the main things for RPGs but hey, that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
    Lets not stop and act like anyone ever played Star Ocean for the story, if you did... I'm sorry.

I'm gonna assume you played SO2 and called it quits right there if you're even pretending this is an issue. Either way it goes, no way in the world the characters are gonna be worse than those in SO4 so its all good with me. Bring on the gameplay and I'll be happy. That's what keeps me coming back anyway.
    Truth.

We're playing games here, not watching movies or reading books. A good story and characters are nice but definitely not necessary for my enjoyment.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I actually liked SO3:TTEOT story
    Until towards the end, but I don't think it's as bad as everyone says.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tekni Wintersbane
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Mok'Nathal

I actually enjoyed all the games story

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

SO4 characters damn near ruined the entire experience for me. The gameplay carried the fuck outta that game.

I'm not asking for unforgettable individuals, but at the very least make them bareable.

the VA for Lymle fucking killed that whole game for me. I could have handled it if it was just text but it was so cringe-worthy that I could not stomach sitting there listening to this bullshit so I skipped almost all the scenes with her

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness (PS3, PS4)

Hard to think of anything more rage inducing than that dumb 'Kay shit.

Game would've been infinitely more enjoyable if the majority of the cast were freaking old school silent protagonists.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by IceSylph View Post
    I actually liked SO3:TTEOT story
    Until towards the end, but I don't think it's as bad as everyone says.
    Don't get me wrong. I actually liked the twist that everyone hates because I actually understand it after playing the game to completion. I didn't freak out immediately and throw my hands in the air; it ends up actually being nothing worth worrying about in the end... they just have a different creation story than we do, big woop.
    Doesn't change the fact that I didn't go into it expecting anything amazing because there was no precedent for it... and I didn't get anything amazing either. Not offensively bad, maybe not even actually bad... but I don't know that I'd call it good either.

The gameplay though, delicious.

Don't get me wrong. I actually liked the twist that everyone hates because I actually understand it after playing the game to completion. I didn't freak out immediately and throw my hands in the air; it ends up actually being nothing worth worrying about in the end... [b]they just have a different creation story than we do, big woop./[b]
    I played the game all the way through and I was under the impression that EVERYTHING ends with the Eternal Sphere with the conclusion of the game; which is what I assumed everything was pissed at because it essentially closes out that universe for more games beyond that point.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Pirian View Post
    I played the game all the way through and I was under the impression that EVERYTHING ends with the Eternal Sphere with the conclusion of the game; which is what I assumed everything was pissed at because it essentially closes out that universe for more games beyond that point.
    What? No.
    The ending just closed the Eternal Sphere off from 'the 4D universe', essentially making it... its own real universe with no outside intervention.

What? No.
    The ending just closed the Eternal Sphere off from 'the 4D universe', essentially making it... its own real universe with no outside intervention.
    It's been a while since I played it, but I could have sworn that the Eternal Sphere was definitely destroyed, but something new was created somehow (don't remember) where the characters continued to exist. Fuck, I should go replay it. With how many times I've gone through 2, I've been meaning to do 3 and 4 again

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast