+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Google Wireless (Project Fi)

Didn't see this posted.

Say hi to Fi: A new way to say hello

I'm in the market for a new phone and a new carrier when my contract is up next month, so I'm giving this serious consideration. I haven't been a fan of the bigger phones, but I'll at least check out a Nexus 6 to see if I could get used to the size.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

It's a decent deal. $20 unlimited talk & text, then $10 per gig of data. Also if you don't use all of your data, you get refunded for what you don't use. Let's say you pay for 3gb, but only use 1.4. You'll be refunded $16.

To compare, I'm paying Verizon for unlimited talk & text with 2gb of data for $80 a month. Google is a heck of a deal for me.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Oh, and the big negative is that you're limited to the Nexus 6 as your only phone option.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I'm using Republic Wireless at the moment at ~$25/month for unlimited everything (honestly have no idea what the data cap is, never gone over it though, not sure what happens). I'm only getting 3G speeds at this price, think it jumps to ~$40/month for 4G. Strongly considering switching depending on how much the phone is to go along with this plan since I really don't use a ton of data.

edit: I do kind of hope they add more phone options in the future. Which they could, still seems to be in the "testing" stage I guess?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Republic is unlimited everything via WiFi with a 5gb data cap and a 25mb roaming cap.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Oh yeah, I don't get anywhere near that. >.>

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Wife and I would save a ton of money if we switched over but women are stupid and dont know how to use anything but iphone so this is a pipe dream

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

I'm considering walmart's t-mobile exclusive plan.

Unlimited text, 5gb data, 100 mins for 30/month on 4g network. 100 mins is pretty low but I rarely use the phone to begin with but also have the option of data calling when I'm out and wifi calling when I'm at any place w/ wifi

I have the 5gb for $30 tmobile plan. It's pretty great for people who doesn't talk on the phone a lot.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

If you have unlimited Verizon data, this plan isn't for you.

Everyone else should just switch and get it over with if you're in the service area (mostly T-Mobile areas).

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    If you have unlimited Verizon data, this plan isn't for you.

Everyone else should just switch and get it over with if you're in the service area (mostly T-Mobile areas).
    When I renewed my Verizon contract 2 years ago they axed me from my unlimited data. Been looking around at new plans as my renewal is coming up. Kinda bummed the only phone that it works on is a Nexus 6, though.

BG Level

That's why you don't renew?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Just spotted another negative to this plan, the cost of a Nexus 6. You can either buy it outright, $650 32GB $700 64GB, or pay in installments over 24 months.

https://fi.google.com/about/faq/#supported-devices-3

On the other hand, should you happen to already own a N6, they'll just ship you a new sim card for free.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Bleh, didn't think of checking in there for the price of the phone. I just assumed it was something you had to get an invite to check. >.> That completely kills my interest in this until they add more phone options or allow you to use it on any or all android phones.

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    Just spotted another negative to this plan, the cost of a Nexus 6. You can either buy it outright, $650 32GB $700 64GB, or pay in installments over 24 months.

https://fi.google.com/about/faq/#supported-devices-3

On the other hand, should you happen to already own a N6, they'll just ship you a new sim card for free.
    So basically it turns into any other phone plan out there. The Google Plan is $20 + 10$ per GB so 5 GB is $70 + Monthly Cost of Phone. T Mobile gives you the same 5GB plan for the same price + Monthly Cost of phone. If they opened this up to other phones it would be perfect, but in reality it is simply just like every other carrier plan wise.

BG Level

Maybe because they use.. T Mobile?

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Enzan Red
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

So my phone died in February and I ended up getting a Nexus 6 because I was hoping to change carriers at some point. Does anyone know what tech the Nexus 6 has that makes it the only phone that works on Fi? I applied for Fi so now I am playing the waiting game. I don't use much data and the credited data looks much more appealing than dealing with the AT&T family plan.

BG Level

The ability to work on any network and be unlocked.

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

Republic been doin' this since 2011. So glad I switched to them. The Mrs and I were paying damn near $200/mo on Verizon. She had 4 GB data, I had 2 GB. Only thing unlimited was texting..

On Republic she pays $28/mo, that's with tax, for her 3g. She's almost always on the Wi-Fi signal tho. My 4g is $42/mo. I'm glad Google is following in their footsteps. I'll never go back to the big providers again.

Quote Originally Posted by TummieGaruda View Post
    So basically it turns into any other phone plan out there. The Google Plan is $20 + 10$ per GB so 5 GB is $70 + Monthly Cost of Phone. T Mobile gives you the same 5GB plan for the same price + Monthly Cost of phone. If they opened this up to other phones it would be perfect, but in reality it is simply just like every other carrier plan wise.
    This is essentially true, but for me it still ends up being worth it. Last month, I only used 1GB of data. T-Mobile would roll that over, but since I never go over my allotment anyway I don't need to build up a big pool of rollover data. Google would refund me $40 for my unused data. To me, that credit is more attractive than rollover data, but that's a personal preference that may not be true for everyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast