FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

I may have missed it- is there an address to which we can send cards and such? Several thousand miles out of my reasonable range, but I'd like to pay respects/show support.

Professional Pixel Pusher
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

If you believe it can get there in time, you can likely send it to the funeral home. I'm not sure if they would forward things along after the funerary services.

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

It's on Saturday so I imagine most people who live in the US could easily get it there on time, if you're outside the US probably not.

You may try contacting a local flower shop, they can also write a note on a card with the arrangement. I want to send flowers but I am too broke, unfortunately.

You may also try contacting her mother (@AuthorLJBaker) on Twitter and seeing if she would be willing to give an address for cards/whatnot to be sent, but I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't want to give that out, for obvious reasons.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

yeah flowers are waaaay too expensive. but i could do a card. maybe ill send one to the funeral home with a note asking they forward it to the family. Maybe a nice note to them, as well. Idk, gotta think about it some more. and i suppose i should look at the flower shops nearby, see what their prices are. Anything from the funeral home is ~$70 bucks which is about $60 more than i can afford to spend on anything this month.

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

No that is kinda high, though without seeing what size the arrangements are I can't say for sure. My mom is a florist - nowhere near NJ, unfortunately - and there are some really nice arrangements that aren't overwhelmingly large for like $30-40 at her shop. But yeah I may have to send a card myself, it's really all I can reasonably afford right now.

Professional Pixel Pusher
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

If you're unable to get an address, you could try including a second envelope with a postage stamp on it. That way the funeral home could just put the address on it.

I would also recommend looking around at other places for flowers in the area if you want to go that route. I wouldn't be shocked to hear the funeral home has higher prices than a local florist. You may even be able to get a few single flowers and a holder that could be taken to the gravesite by the family and placed there. That's not really something you'll be able to control though.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

If anyone wanted to do flowers, I would do them from a florist rather than a funeral home. They will be cheaper and I am sure they will accommodate you if you tell them what it is for.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Wow. Just saw this thread. I never got along with hey but regardless she was BG. My condolences to her family. The least I can do is make a small donation.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I met Rachel on Fairy in 2007. We played together on and off over the years, more recently, building relics together. Rachel basically bought my Gjallarhorn and funded half of my Spharai. In the same way that I looked up to my older brother about what was cool when I was a kid, I looked up to Rachel as a Final Fantasy XI player. I remember coming back and saying I want to build an Amano, and she told me don't bother, Tsu is just as good (Sorry Amano holders, just telling a story here), and my feeling was dissapointment! Why? Because I just trusted she knew what was up and my little dream of an Amano needed some research. lol. It was good advice. I remember a Galka (more recently) in LS chat saying he wants a GKT from AA Galka so bad, and I was like "You need a Tsu. Tsu is better" and that was just me trying to be cool... like a little sibling who just repeats what his or her older siblings say. And I remember this Galka flooding LS chat with how urgently he wanted to do Shark lol. I never got to share this with Rachel... ;(

Rachel really knew the game. One time, I told her I didn't know how much Blue Magic Skill I needed to learn Erratic Flutter, not expecting her to know, because- I couldn't even find it on the wiki, but she knew! Within X number of levels, she told me. I asked her, why don't you want to play the game past 75 (a few times lol), but everytime, same answer: why, it's dumb! 75 is where it's at. I admired her for that. Just like how she would build HQ 75 sets. Seemed, irrational? But I feel her on that. Because, nostalgia!

I miss our arguments. I wanted to play Paeon at Xolotl back in 2007-2008, "we're wiping!" and Rachel would berate me. One time, Rachel told me that she was using a plug-in to automatically accept party invites, so when she was AFK in Port Jeuno, I sent her an invite and set up a bot next to her spam Paeon. I came back and she had dropped party (can't kick me if I'm leader, Rachel, lol).
    When I talk about XI, joke/sarcasm/nostolgia about XI and bad-mouth SE, Rachel was the one person I could go to and would totally be on the same page with.

I just wanted to share memories here. I'm touched by the comments here and I'm glad we're remembering Rachel.

To those of you talking about your own experience/feelings about suicide, or sharing memories of Rachel, or talking about how your online friends are your real friends, I'm reading and feeling your comments in particular.

If any FFXI players, forum members to share a memory of Rachel with me, please send me a message. I'll remember Rachel with you.

Rachel, I'm remembering you. Here's to you.

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Hi - this post was beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8